Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #31
WillC
Local High School Star

WillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: #34 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Reed is already voted in, you maybe mean Wes Unseld? If not, what do you think about him? I feel like he is getting very underrated here, is it maybe because he didnt have such a long career or wasnt such a great scorer i dont know...

Unseld was great. However, we're only on number 34. His time will come.

I agree with GOAT: the next few picks should be Schayes, Cowens and Walton. I'd then be looking at Unseld and Gervin.

Drexler comes after those guys, as does Elvin Hayes.

People really need to read up on players like Hayes and McAdoo before getting too excited by their stats; McAdoo was a lazy defender and both he and Hayes settled far too much for the jump shot. Both were black holes on offense.

Many insiders complained about Hayes' attitude. Personally, I think he was hilarious and always spoke his mind.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #32
hangintheair
Why so Serious?

hangintheair has not been impressing people

Pistol Pete Maravich
hangintheair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #33
TheWINdyCity
Dont Care.

TheWINdyCity has an OK reputation so far

Clyde "THE GLIDE" Drexler
TheWINdyCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #34
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWINdyCity
Clyde "THE GLIDE" Drexler

Dummy.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #35
MasterDurant24
National High School Star

MasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected posterMasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected posterMasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC
Unseld was great. However, we're only on number 34. His time will come.

I agree with GOAT: the next few picks should be Schayes, Cowens and Walton. I'd then be looking at Unseld and Gervin.

Drexler comes after those guys, as does Elvin Hayes.

People really need to read up on players like Hayes and McAdoo before getting too excited by their stats; McAdoo was a lazy defender and both he and Hayes settled far too much for the jump shot. Both were black holes on offense.

Many insiders complained about Hayes' attitude. Personally, I think he was hilarious and always spoke his mind.

Forreal, I've never seen people put McAdoo this high. Imma change my vote on Drexler though, I forgot about Walton. Don't know much about Schayes and while Cowens seemed to be a real gritty, tough player, from what I've seen he wasn't nearly as good as Walton.

Where do you have McHale?
MasterDurant24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #36
funnystuff
Say wot m8

funnystuff has decent reputationfunnystuff has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
You suck at being funny.
RUDE.
funnystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #37
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh shoot Bill Walton has not been mention yet really. I know he was injured a lot but that title run in Portland.
  • 2 NBA champion (1977, 1986)
  • NBA Finals MVP (1977)
  • NBA Most Valuable Player (1978)
  • NBA Sixth Man of the Year (1986)
  • 2 NBA All-Star (19761977)
  • All-NBA First Team (1978)
  • All-NBA Second Team (1977)
  • 2 NBA All-Defensive First Team (19771978)

crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #38
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Deuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputation

I'll count kurple's vote for Allen Iverson since he voted him in that last thread when it was already over.

Lots of variety on this one, 12 players have received a vote. I don't understand Bill Walton getting this much votes this high? So many injuries and missed games, along with only a few elite seasons.
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #39
kurple
NBA All-star

kurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation herekurple has an incredible reputation here

Allen Iverson

MVP
ROY
All Rookie 1st
11 All Star Games (should have been more)
2x All Star MVP
3x NBA 1st
3x NBA 2nd
4x Scoring Champ
#7 in career regular season PPG
#2 in career playoffs PPG

that's more impressive than some guys mentioned

Last edited by kurple : 09-14-2012 at 08:10 PM.
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #40
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
I'll count kurple's vote for Allen Iverson since he voted him in that last thread when it was already over.

Lots of variety on this one, 12 players have received a vote. I don't understand Bill Walton getting this much votes this high? So many injuries and missed games, along with only a few elite seasons.

I voted for Nate Thurmond...just threw out Walton because I think he should be on the list soon.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #41
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Deuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputationDeuce Bigalow has a terrific reputation

Elvin Hayes, easily imo

Should have been named Finals MVP in '78
He averaged 22/12/1 on 58% with 2 bpg
Unseld who won the FMVP averaged 9/12/4 on 52% with 0 bpg
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...78_finals.html

Hayes led the entire Playoffs in points that year.
Hayes led his team in points, rebounds, and blocks in the '78 playoffs when they won the Championship, so he was clearly the best player on the team.

8th all-time on the NBA scoring list with 27,313 points
4th alltime on the NBA rebounding list with 16,279 rebounds
20th all-time in blocks with 1,771

NBA champion (1978)
**Robbed of Finals MVP (1978)
12 NBA All-Star (19691980)
NBA scoring champion (1969)
3 All-NBA First Team (1975, 1977, 1979)
3 All-NBA Second Team (1973, 1974, 1976)
2 NBA All-Defensive Second Team (19741975)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1969)
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #42
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
I voted for Nate Thurmond...just threw out Walton because I think he should be on the list soon.
He put up very impressive numbers in short amount of time

'77 - 19-13-4 and 3.2 blocks/gm in only 35 minutes/gm
'78 - 19-13-5 and 2.5 blocks/gm game in only 33 minute/gm (won MVP)

Was his injuries the reason for the low minutes?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #43
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Unseld who won the FMVP averaged 9/12/4 on 52% with 0 bpg

Ive watched some of those games. Ive watched some of their games together from before that as well(75 for one).

Unseld was the best player in the games I saw. Dude was doing everything...but scoring. I can see why the players voted him MVP in 69. He was a lot better than his numbers. Not that they were poor.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #44
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Ive watched some of those games. Ive watched some of their games together from before that as well(75 for one).

Unseld was the best player in the games I saw. Dude was doing everything...but scoring. I can see why the players voted him MVP in 69. He was a lot better than his numbers. Not that they were poor.
So Hayes who led the team in pts, reb, and blks for the Playoffs the year they won, wasn't the best player?
Was Unseld some God-like defender being the reason why he was the best on the team?
Obviously 'm just looking at stats though so I wouldn't know for sure, but when the gap is that big, it seems weird that Unseld was considered better by some.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #45
fpliii
peace out

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

voting Drexler, might go Thurmond next

I really don't know what to say about Hayes/Unseld, since I haven't watched a lot of tape of either...I guess I should check out the 78/79 Finals (unfortunately my knowledge only extends back to the 1980 playoffs, the earliest for which we have complete games on youtube, last I checked)
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: