Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #46
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Default Re: Looper is getting amazing reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
SPOILERS:

There is one thing I need some explanation on. When Bruce first comes back and attacks JGL and runs away, JGL wakes up and goes back to the city. He falls off the apartment and the screen goes black. Then it cuts back to JGL waiting for his target and it's Bruce and he kills him. Then it goes on to show the next 30 years and then Bruce comes back to 2044 and it shows his perspective from back from the top of this paragraph till when JGL falls off the apartment.

So what was the part where he gets shot by JGL all about? A dream? Or is it showing that since he killed him and closed the loop, there's 30 years left to live and when he is forced to come back to 2044, he changes the past by not getting killed?
Two different timelines.

One occured first.. and it was a catalyst for the second timeline to occur.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #47
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Two different timelines.

One occured first.. and it was a catalyst for the second timeline to occur.
Ah I see that makes sense, kinda pulled a Donnie Darko on me there lol
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #48
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Here is your prequel D-Rose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJu5VX972M
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #49
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #50
Mr Know It All
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Piper Perabo was hot, but wow those tits are tiny.

As for the ending: SPOILERS DON'T REAF FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN: Its not just that Cid's life is spared so he isn't bad in the future. Its that in the last scene he finally makes a connection with Sara (as his TK fury is being unleashed). He finally accepts her emotionally as his mother and that is powerful enough to change his future. Time travel is so complicated, but the ending was rather simple. A lot of people also thinking Cid is Joe because of the hair things at the end, not true IMO just a symbolic image. and also the mob boss (Abe) from the future was the same person as the other guy...who keeps failing but catches Bruce towards the end.

Meh I can accept that ending but its still iffy and a bit too 'simple' of an ending for a movie that wanted to be smart. Cid accepting his her as his mom in one traumatic incident is to convenient and ignores many variables, he could feel different the very next day, just my opinion.
Mr Know It All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #51
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
Meh I can accept that ending but its still iffy and a bit too 'simple' of an ending for a movie that wanted to be smart. Cid accepting his her as his mom in one traumatic incident is to convenient and ignores many variables, he could feel different the very next day, just my opinion.
We don't know that he still grows up to be the rainmaker, but we don't know that he doesn't either. That's one of the cool things, joes sacrifice didnt make him good, it just gave him the opportunity to be good.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #52
bagelred
Weird

Just saw it. Seemed to be leading up to something great, but ended up just good.

SPOILER ALERT........actually why is anyone reading this thread if haven't seen movie.........hey, it's your own fault.....

I also thought the ending was weak and that they had another major twist or clever resolution coming. We didn't get that.

So JGL decides to kill himself to save some kid he barely knows who may or may not grow up to be some evil reckoning machine? Huh? Why? I don't know.....fell into typical movie logic......so the kid has a "breakthrough" JUST at that moment. Convenient. And how does JGL even know killing himself will work?

Good concept........crafted really well.......but that last 1/3 of the movie wasn't thought out that well.......

Last edited by bagelred : 09-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #53
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Btw while everyone knows joe killed himself for the kid, the other thing is by killing himself he saved the girl that became his future wife. She never meets him and is therefore never killed by the mob
Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #54
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Btw while everyone knows joe killed himself for the kid, the other thing is by killing himself he saved the girl that became his future wife. She never meets him and is therefore never killed by the mob

Also, he saves the kid's mom. One aspect I liked about this movie is that he never meets the asian wife who saves him, but instead he finds his own soul mate (at least the way I view it) in the mother, and she is his own savior.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #55
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Also, he saves the kid's mom. One aspect I liked about this movie is that he never meets the asian wife who saves him, but instead he finds his own soul mate (at least the way I view it) in the mother, and she is his own savior.
Yeah, I agree that's why Bruce had to slap himself and remind him of the Chinese woman when joe met the mom. What I was saying though was that I think joe was intentionally saving the woman he hadn't met. He knew he was saving the mom and the girl and maybe the kid based on his circle comment.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #56
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Quote:
Wow
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #57
millwad
Banned

Anyone got a stream?
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #58
YGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
This.

Along with the fact that young Joes situation parallels old Joes. He got taken up by that woman in the farm, she took care of him and helped him get over his drug withdrawal and they connected in a way that may have been deep. We just didnt see the full extent of the relationship.
YGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #59
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGS
This.

Along with the fact that young Joes situation parallels old Joes. He got taken up by that woman in the farm, she took care of him and helped him get over his drug withdrawal and they connected in a way that may have been deep. We just didnt see the full extent of the relationship.

Yeah, we didn't. IYKWIM.

Anybody else laugh when the mom was about to *********e but wanted the real thing and called up Joe?
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #60
YGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Yeah, we didn't. IYKWIM.

Anybody else laugh when the mom was about to *********e but wanted the real thing and called up Joe?

that was one of the most authentic parts of the movie
YGS is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: