Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #841
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Default Re: Week 3 Discussion and Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
i believe in the beginning of the catch, both had possession but then as both were landing, Tate took his right hand momentarily off the ball and that allowed Jennings to control more of the ball. Its a hard call to make in any kind of situation, much less at the end of the game that will decide the outcome. the regular officials would have blown it just as well.

Tate NEVER had 2 hands on the ball though. He had one hand on it and the other was on Jennings' arm. That's not possession. Jennings CLEARLY had control first before Tate just put ONE hand on the ball. That's NOT a simultaneous catch.
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #842
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaturalWR
Tate NEVER had 2 hands on the ball though. He had one hand on it and the other was on Jennings' arm. That's not possession. Jennings CLEARLY had control first before Tate just put ONE hand on the ball. That's NOT a simultaneous catch.

even if he did, there's this tidbit: "It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

it's not a TD. ref f'd up and the real refs would have made the right call. this guy was reffing jr high and high school games ffs
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #843
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
even if he did, there's this tidbit: "It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

it's not a TD. ref f'd up and the real refs would have made the right call. this guy was reffing jr high and high school games ffs

That is not a given. In real time it is not as cut and dry.

The things that is lost in all of this is that the replay official, who is NOT a replacement official, messed up the call. That's what bugs me the most about the whole situation. Of all the balls dropped (HA!) that one baffles me most.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #844
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
That is not a given. In real time it is not as cut and dry.

The things that is lost in all of this is that the replay official, who is NOT a replacement official, messed up the call. That's what bugs me the most about the whole situation. Of all the balls dropped (HA!) that one baffles me most.

the replay official didn't have the power to overturn the possession ruling. that's made on the field and TD's can't be overturned.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #845
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
the replay official didn't have the power to overturn the possession ruling. that's made on the field and TD's can't be overturned.

But they can tell the dude, "Yo you should prob. go with this ruling." And it's not like these officials, who are replacements, are gonna get ego headed and ignore him.

If it comes out that the referee was told and he ignored the replay guy outright then fine, but if not everyone dropped the ball, but the replay official shit the bed. But I find it hard that the ref wouldn't defer to the replay official had he been insistent to over turn it.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #846
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
But they can tell the dude, "Yo you should prob. go with this ruling." And it's not like these officials, who are replacements, are gonna get ego headed and ignore him.

If it comes out that the referee was told and he ignored the replay guy outright then fine, but if not everyone dropped the ball, but the replay official shit the bed. But I find it hard that the ref wouldn't defer to the replay official had he been insistent to over turn it.

i'll try to make this clearer. the replay official cannot overturn possession. the only things he is checking are the time on the clock and whether the ball hit the ground or not. by the rulebook, he's not allowed to review who made the catch. he's only allowed to review if it's complete or incomplete. the ref on the field screwed up by calling it a TD.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-26-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #847
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
i'll try to make this clearer. the replay official cannot overturn possession. the only things he is checking are the time on the clock and whether the ball hit the ground or not. by the rulebook, he's not allowed to review who made the catch. he's only allowed to review if it's complete or incomplete. the ref on the field screwed up by calling it a TD.

I'll make this clearest:

The replay cannot officially step in and overturn a call.

The replay official can get into the refs ear and talk to him. It may be likely that he thought it was too blatant, but he can talk to him.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #848
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:

The missed PI wasn't reviewable, but determining who had possession of the ball in the end zone was reviewable.

"In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone."

Meh, all I can hope is that the Giants, Eagles, and/or the Cowboys are the next teams to get screwed over.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: