Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Third-Person Action/Adventure/Shooters??

I know that first-person shooters (FPS) are all the rage these days.... but where are the third-person games at? I've always been a much bigger fan of 3rd person perspective and mechanics when it comes to action/adventure games.

The original Tomb Raider the first two Resident Evil games really started me off in that direction way back when, but it seems as though there are way more FPS than third-person being made these days.

I hear about games like Half-Life, Bio Shock, Portal, Left For Dead, and Dead Island, and get excited about their premises and critical reception, but then never go any further because they're first-person games.

Assassins Creed 3, Resident Evil 6, the rebooted Tomb Raider, and especially The Last of Us all show great promise going forward.... I hope it leads to more focus on that style of action game.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Third-Person Action/Adventure/Shooters??

i feel what you're saying.
i think new splinter cell will be pretty sweet. ive enjoyed the past games, although i would never really rate them as epic games.
only problem i had with the last splinter cell game, was that there was way too much action and not enough stealth play
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I also think that the move towards the inclusion of a lot of online and multi-player game modes has lessened the impact of a well-written third person action game.

Come to think of it, how would a game with a single protagonist (e.g. Tomb Raider, Fallout 3/New Vegas) seamlessly transition into an exciting or interesting multi-player online experience?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I also think that the move towards the inclusion of a lot of online and multi-player game modes has lessened the impact of a well-written third person action game.

Come to think of it, how would a game with a single protagonist (e.g. Tomb Raider, Fallout 3/New Vegas) seamlessly transition into an exciting or interesting multi-player online experience?

Seems like you and I come out of the same background, and have similar taste. Tomb Raider and Resident Evil are among the games that dot my gaming biography in a big way. I'm so not into the FP perspective that I've bought games on a whim for no reason other than that they're third person. I picked up Dead Space knowing nothing about it, read the blurb on the back, noticed it was third person, and rolled the dice with it. It payed off. I only picked up Skyrim after learning that it could be played in third person.

To answer you're question about how these types of games translate into multi player, I'd point to Uncharted. The co-op was great, it's just a shame the effort it takes to build those levels, because after about a week you will have learned them all. And the competitive worked too, using big 3d sets that took advantage of the platforming elements of the game. And the collection element of points, and purchasing of add ons through them, like skins, or moves, or whatever, was a nice touch of motivation. Honestly I'm not a big fan of on-line play, so I'm probably not a great judge, but those worked well enough for me that I actually played them, which has got to mean something, because generally I don't at all.

I've got AC3, The Last of Us, RE6, and Hitman all pre-ordered, so I definitely know where you're coming from. There's also all the GTA/Red Dead/ and give Sleeping Dogs a try, for 3rd person open world stuff. And Skyrim functions too.

And I'd give Portal a shot if I were you. It's puzzle setting means that it doesn't move as fast, which is what really bothers me with the normal FPS elements, and I was fine with it. One of the better games I've played in recent memory.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mass Effect 3
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've been playing 3rd person game pretty much exclusively for the past year. AC games, Batman Arkham series, Mass Effect series, GTA 4, etc.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

A few comments in response to a few threads above me:

- Yeah Thorpe, it seems like we come from the same grain in terms of action gaming.... the fact that you like Tomb Raider and RE, where the original games focused pretty heavily on puzzle-solving, makes me want to take your advice on the Portal series.

- Also, I guess I never really tried the multi-player portion of the Uncharted series. I just changed from XBox to PS3 about a month ago, and when I upgraded I bought Uncharted 2. After hearing so much hype about its total package, I had to give it a try so I bought it used. I'm halfway through the game and am in awe of how seamlessly it blends high-octane action with a follow-able story. With that being said, I stopped midway through the game because frankly its boring and repetitive. Thats what separates a linear, aesthetic-focused games of today like Uncharted from open-world, story-driven, engine-driven games like Fallout and Assassins Creed

- Maybe with the integration of open worlds these days, it seems as though games like Assassins Creed, Fallout, Grand Theft Auto, Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption, etc, do a better job of keeping me interested unlike Uncharted and Resident Evil 5 (which was dissapointingly linear unlike the originals).

- I've tried my best to convince myself to get into the Mass Effect series.... but I don't want to go backwards to an old game (ME-1), I've heard such mass disappointment about ME-3, and the story and character building just doesn't seem to strike me as my style.

- I love Fallout 3 and New Vegas.... but I RedBoxed Skyrim for a few days, gave it a serious try, and didn't like it AT ALL. Guns and a reasonable sense of realism >>>> Spells, Bows/Arrows, fantasy land. Simply my opinion.

- Sleeping Dogs is mildly intriguing, but with 2k13, RE3, and AC3, all coming out in the next 6 weeks, I don't necessarily want to spend $60 and invest time into what will become a fourth-string game.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

gears of war?
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
gears of war?

Thats another one that I rented, and didn't interest me at all. Its basically a first-person-shooter with the camera pulled back 3 feet.

I get why people like it, but its not for me at all.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree with the general theme of this thread, good third person games are hard to come by, but luckily the good ones that are out there are really really good. But yeah I do wish I could play some of the games that are out there.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Thats another one that I rented, and didn't interest me at all. Its basically a first-person-shooter with the camera pulled back 3 feet.

I get why people like it, but its not for me at all.

Dead Space is also pretty much a first person shooter with the camera pulled back three feet too I suppose. But I still like it more than most FPSs.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Why are you against going back to old games like ME1? I love playing older games like that because they are dirt cheap to buy used and they are still very good normally. The combat mechanics of ME1 are kinda shitty but still fun and the story is awesome. I always play through a series from beginning to end.

The only game I would suggest skipping is the original Assassin's Creed. You aren't really missing much that isn't included in the intro to AC2 and it's a pretty repetitive game.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
A few comments in response to a few threads above me:

- Maybe with the integration of open worlds these days, it seems as though games like Assassins Creed, Fallout, Grand Theft Auto, Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption, etc, do a better job of keeping me interested unlike Uncharted and Resident Evil 5 (which was dissapointingly linear unlike the originals).

- I've tried my best to convince myself to get into the Mass Effect series.... but I don't want to go backwards to an old game (ME-1), I've heard such mass disappointment about ME-3, and the story and character building just doesn't seem to strike me as my style.

- Sleeping Dogs is mildly intriguing, but with 2k13, RE3, and AC3, all coming out in the next 6 weeks, I don't necessarily want to spend $60 and invest time into what will become a fourth-string game.

We're definitely cut from the same cloth based on your RE5 opinion. It wasn't that it was a bad game, it was actually quite artfully done, it just wasn't a RE game. The puzzling was minimal. The enemies were far more strategic than their usual element of being put in tight places, and operating in mass. And it was extremely level-y, or mission based. Each mission may have been somewhat free roamable, but they were still very mission oriented.

I love RE2, and I was late to the game on 4, but enjoyed that, even though it was a major departure. But I still have never quite replicated that feeling of RE1. Probably in part because I was the perfect age when it came out. But I remember fondly being stuck at a door. Running around looking for a key, treachorously low on ammo, and then finally finding the key, unlocking the door, and coming out on the other side of a hallway I'd already been in. It completely blew my mind at the time. The way that house sort of unfolded. Just opened up, was unlike anything I remember playing up to that point. Even aside from the Zombies, the cheesey comedy of the dialogue, the gore of blowing heads off, that game was great in it's layout even without all those other elements (of course I have it now and the controls make it almost unplayable).

I too would like to get into Mass Effect, but I have similar concerns. I don't really want to go back to an inferior game in the first one just to make the story flesh out, but I feel like I'd have to.

And I'd give Sleeping Dogs a shot. Maybe wait until it's available used on the cheap, but I bought it while putting in preorders for RE6, Hitman, The Last of Us, and AC3. Picked it up on basically after reading in here people saying they liked it. I was leary based on review scores, but it was really fullfilling. If you like GTA, you'll almost certainly dig it. And it's not too awfull long. Maybe 20 - 25 hours for a pretty filled up finish to it.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

I like both 1st person and 3d person, but if I had to choose I would go with 3rd person. I too come from the Resident Evil and Tomb Raider old school.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
i feel what you're saying.
i think new splinter cell will be pretty sweet. ive enjoyed the past games, although i would never really rate them as epic games.
only problem i had with the last splinter cell game, was that there was way too much action and not enough stealth play

Conviction? That's a perfect description. Somewhere into the second floor of the first building, I realized it was pointless to approach the game as a puzzler (coordinating, tactics, kill order, placement...) unless I wanted to handicap myself for difficulty.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: