Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman

SHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat coolSHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat coolSHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat cool
Default How underrated/overlooked is this dude?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NxCr-3L8J4&feature=plcp

Very similar to Tayshaun Prince (almost equal physique) but better in every aspect except 3pt shooting.

The man could do everything, great athlete, amazing on D, could score when needed (very efficient), fierce rebounder, hustled on every play, decent passer, always seemed like he did what the team needed, player that every coach wants to have.

Last edited by SHAQisGOAT : 09-21-2012 at 03:11 PM.
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How underrated/overlooked is this dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NxCr-3L8J4&feature=plcp

Very similar to Tayshaun Prince (almost equal physique) but better in every aspect except 3pt shooting.

The man could do everything, great athlete, amazing on D, could score when needed (very efficient), fierce rebounder, hustled on every play, decent passer, always seemed like he did what the team needed, player that every coach wants to have.
Bobby Jones is of those players who I LOVE catching highlights of. I'm sure most people on ISH have hardly even heard of him let alone known how to fairly gauge and rank him as a player - Thanks
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Freedom Kid7
Lazy Bulls fan

Freedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected poster

Where most 6th men create a quick 15 or so points on a good night, this guy created necessary and great defense and some key shots for the sixers, being one of the most memorable sixth men.
Freedom Kid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

he seems a lot more like a kirilenko type

prince can do a lot of things on offense that ive never seen jones do.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman

SHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat coolSHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat coolSHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
he seems a lot more like a kirilenko type

prince can do a lot of things on offense that ive never seen jones do.

In terms of physique Bobby and Prince are almost equal, both around 6'9 and 215 lbs, both lanky and lengthy, both amazing athletes (think Jones a better one though). His game has similarities to Kirilenko's, yes.

Prince has longer range (Jones didn't came up with the 3pt line though) and he can do more things than Jones but still they scored about the same and Jones was much better at picking his shots, much more efficient.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Bobby Jones is of those players who I LOVE catching highlights of. I'm sure most people on ISH have hardly even heard of him let alone known how to fairly gauge and rank him as a player - Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
Where most 6th men create a quick 15 or so points on a good night, this guy created necessary and great defense and some key shots for the sixers, being one of the most memorable sixth men.

What's special to me is that for his entire career (not even talking about prime) he could block more than 1 shot per game, also have more than 1 SPG, grabbed like 6 rebounds, dished more than a couple of assists, scored like 12 points with terrific effiency, all of this while only playing around 26 MPG, add that to some great lockdown D (without using cheap tactics), fierce hustle and clutch plays.

Last edited by SHAQisGOAT : 09-21-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

there was an ill poster of bobby that used to hang in sneaker stores

sec. or minister of defense

I think Tyshaun might have been overall better skilled, but Jones was a GREAT defensive player and a perfect complementary player for those contending Sixers teams.

I don't go that far back, but I think the sixers used to be OVERLOADED with good to great offensive players...and hadn't developed a well balanced team

it all came together when Moses got there, he got them over the hump but that was a pretty well balanced team....

you could say that Jones was the Sixers version of the Laker's Cooper ....somebody has to play defense for you to win...and a lockdown long limbed hustle guy with great defensive skills.....is what you need.....(bulls clearly followed the formula)

coop also gave you essentially another pg is you needed it, so jones wasn't QUITE cooper but still
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
there was an ill poster of bobby that used to hang in sneaker stores

sec. or minister of defense

I think Tyshaun might have been overall better skilled, but Jones was a GREAT defensive player and a perfect complementary player for those contending Sixers teams.

I don't go that far back, but I think the sixers used to be OVERLOADED with good to great offensive players...and hadn't developed a well balanced team

it all came together when Moses got there, he got them over the hump but that was a pretty well balanced team....

you could say that Jones was the Sixers version of the Laker's Cooper ....somebody has to play defense for you to win...and a lockdown long limbed hustle guy with great defensive skills.....is what you need.....(bulls clearly followed the formula)

coop also gave you essentially another pg is you needed it, so jones wasn't QUITE cooper but still

Nike one?

You could say that he was Philly's Michael Cooper.

Yeah Cooper was also huge because he was also a backup PG, but Bobby also provided great rebounding, and he was really efficient as well.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

yeah it was a nike poster

I have images turned off so don't know if you posted it, but pretty sure it was nike
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
MiamiThrice
Banned

MiamiThrice has decent reputationMiamiThrice has decent reputation

When I was in high school Bobby Jones came to my church for a breakfest. He was one of the nicest guys I ever met and had no problem having a personal conversation with me. He gave me a lot of tips on defense that helped me out immensely, he signed a photo for me that I have framed, and even took a pic with me and my friends.

He's a real honest guy and said he never once lied about a call . When the refs weren't sure of what to call a lot of the time they'd ask Bobby Jones.
MiamiThrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

One of the great white-leapers in NBA history, up there with Tom Chambers and Blake Griffin
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
yeah it was a nike poster

I have images turned off so don't know if you posted it, but pretty sure it was nike

No, can't seem to find it, in the video I posted it appears when Herb williams is talking.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiThrice
When I was in high school Bobby Jones came to my church for a breakfest. He was one of the nicest guys I ever met and had no problem having a personal conversation with me. He gave me a lot of tips on defense that helped me out immensely, he signed a photo for me that I have framed, and even took a pic with me and my friends.

He's a real honest guy and said he never once lied about a call . When the refs weren't sure of what to call a lot of the time they'd ask Bobby Jones.

That's pretty cool man.

Yeah, he never used dirty tactics and when he fouled he always made sure he let it be known it was him.

Larry Brown: “Watching Bobby Jones on the basketball court is like watching an honest man in a liars’ poker game.”

Barkley: “If everyone in the world was like Bobby Jones, the world wouldn’t have any problems.”
Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

One of the great white-leapers in NBA history, up there with Tom Chambers and Blake Griffin

True, Griffin's father's black though.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
True, Griffin's father's black though.
Yah I know, but more white people identify with him, blacks don't accept him due to his hideous ginger appearance
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: