Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
devin112
Local High School Star

Default do u steamroll late screens?

I only ball once a week and the guy i usually guard has a decent jumper but he can't dribble or create his own shot, so i usually shut him out. Then they started setting 3 screens for him every play, I just went over or under and still hounded him.

Then they started setting late picks as I chase the guy they jump out at the last second not giving me any chance of stopping in time or move around, so... i just allow myself to run right into them. I never complained about their late picks but they started to cry about me steamrolling them.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
SourPatchKids
Banned

Default Re: do u steamroll late screens?

I'd rather get called for a moving pick than get steamrolled while setting a screen.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Overdrive
Local High School Star

You mean you chase the shooter and they set moving screens(don't know the term late screen)?

If that's the case then, yes, I would and I do steamroll them. If guys wanna behave like NFL o-liners the should go to some football tryouts.
Most of the time they stop anyway if the screen right infront of the shooter, trying to get in your way and then colide with the shooter, who then starts bitching.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

I'm guilty. As Overdrive said, if players want to eschew proper screen technique and skip over the idea of establishing a screen position, opting instead to more or less set up a downfield block, I feel steamrolling that screen just about equals things out.

You guys may not believe this, but I actually used to play ball at a court with a guy who'd "set screens" halfway through a teammate's drive to the basket. As in, I'd be guarding someone up top, they'd make a dribble move toward the basket and get the angle on me. As I'd shuffle and quickly move to recover and as he moved below the free throw line, this big guy would decide to run upward and meet me halfway, literally like those blindside blocks you see on kick returns. This would happen in the middle of the paint, not anywhere on the perimeter (not that it'd be any more legal there). It's an extreme example, but it is in fact one of those situations where I began to anticipate it and instead of trying to avoid it, I'd go for the steamroll in hopes of making him think twice about his terrible strategy.

In less extreme examples, I still feel a steamroll is an adequate response to players who are knowingly attempting to take advantage of the game by running into the defender instead of setting a pick on them.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Burgz V2
Good college starter

if people are setting moving screens consistently i usually warn them that im going run them over next time. usually they are smart enough to stop at that point
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
if people are setting moving screens consistently i usually warn them that im going run them over next time. usually they are smart enough to stop at that point
I usually go the other way. I feel like a warning could be construed as a challenge or invitation to confrontation. Instead, I tend to blast through a person setting consistent moving screens then playing the innocence card. Kind of a, "My bad guy, but with you running into me, what did you expect was going to happen?"
Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I usually go the other way. I feel like a warning could be construed as a challenge or invitation to confrontation. Instead, I tend to blast through a person setting consistent moving screens then playing the innocence card. Kind of a, "My bad guy, but with you running into me, what did you expect was going to happen?"

lol some people take it as a challenge. i dont care.

and i wanna at least give a guy a chance to brace himself before i run through his chest
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
kNicKz
College superstar

the people that cry foul the whole game are usually the dirtiest
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
iamgine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm guilty. As Overdrive said, if players want to eschew proper screen technique and skip over the idea of establishing a screen position, opting instead to more or less set up a downfield block, I feel steamrolling that screen just about equals things out.

You guys may not believe this, but I actually used to play ball at a court with a guy who'd "set screens" halfway through a teammate's drive to the basket. As in, I'd be guarding someone up top, they'd make a dribble move toward the basket and get the angle on me. As I'd shuffle and quickly move to recover and as he moved below the free throw line, this big guy would decide to run upward and meet me halfway, literally like those blindside blocks you see on kick returns. This would happen in the middle of the paint, not anywhere on the perimeter (not that it'd be any more legal there). It's an extreme example, but it is in fact one of those situations where I began to anticipate it and instead of trying to avoid it, I'd go for the steamroll in hopes of making him think twice about his terrible strategy.

In less extreme examples, I still feel a steamroll is an adequate response to players who are knowingly attempting to take advantage of the game by running into the defender instead of setting a pick on them.
Wait, is that illegal?

If I understand this correctly, opponent A makes a drive towards the basket. As a good defender, you follow him. As both of you start motion towards the basket, opponent B moves a few steps forward from the basket and then STOPS in order to screen you. I don't think that's illegal unless opponent B was still moving as you crash into him.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Wait, is that illegal?

If I understand this correctly, opponent A makes a drive towards the basket. As a good defender, you follow him. As both of you start motion towards the basket, opponent B moves a few steps forward from the basket and then STOPS in order to screen you. I don't think that's illegal unless opponent B was still moving as you crash into him.

I think he means the non ball handler is just running into his path, trying to cut him off his asignment by making him avoid the collision.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
2swift4u
Good High School Starter

I guess in certain cases steamrolling the moving screen would be the right thing to do (just to teach the defender a lesson - because a lot of people do set moving/late screens)
BUT I usually don't do it because I want to avoid having discussions or arguments (off. or def. foul). Usually I'd rather let the opponent score in a pickup game then playing too hard and then making people mad at me, because first of all the game is just for fun and secondly you may want to play with/against these guys again some time...
2swift4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Wait, is that illegal?

Sorry, it's a weird scenario to explain. Opponent B would meet me half way down the lane in this situation. He's not stopping, he's running into me. My defensive path is clear when I'm initially guarding my man as he drives. It's in mid-drive that his teammate decides to move upward and perform the downfield block, never standing still or establishing, just plowing.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
JohnnySic
green is good

I set all kinds of screens - late screens, early screens, moving screens, football blocks, you name it. Luckily I'm built like a tank and can take the ensuing abuse - only the mightiest of men have a chance to steamroll me.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
MiamiThrice
Banned

Lol @ the tough guys in here sayingthey "steamroll" screens. Most of these kids are probably under >6' and >200 pounds. Your not steam rolling anyone buddy.

When I set a screen and someone runs into me I stick my shoulder or elbow out the next time he tries that shit.
MiamiThrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiThrice
Lol @ the tough guys in here sayingthey "steamroll" screens. Most of these kids are probably under >6' and >200 pounds. Your not steam rolling anyone buddy.

When I set a screen and someone runs into me I stick my shoulder or elbow out the next time he tries that shit.
I think the definition of the term "steamroll" here merely means "lowering shoulder and inviting contact instead of trying desperately to avoid". I'm not sure too many folks are talking about pancaking anyone. Second, I believe the original topic was only in relation to those attempting to set illegal screens. The topic, more or less, seemed to be asking, "When someone's looking to make illegal contact through a screen, do you still try to avoid them or do you go out of your way and lower a shoulder as a means of retribution?"
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: