Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Default Fantasy Football Advice!

Cheers

Last edited by Playmakers Dad : 09-08-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: Fantasy News/Advice/Sitem-Startem/ETC.

Subtle.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
"I'm a casual fantasy football player and I'm increasing the number of leagues I'm playing this year. In years past I didn't really prepare a whole lot and the as a result was middle of the pack. I want to take my game to the next level. What should I do?"

Mock, Mock, Mock - From every different draft slot. Having a good understanding of where played are slotted to go and really grasping ADP (average draft position) will really help you never reach for a player while also finding great value in the draft. The more you mock the more you understand how a draft will play out and what players you will target specifically. I always have lists of players listed in tiers that I will target each round.

It's okay to fall in love with certain players but never reach for them. If that means letting your favorite player fall to someone else who is willing to reach them, so be it. It's a habit you want to break at all costs and is one of the most important fundamental rules of drafting. I may think Miles Austin is going to have a big year but if I'm not drafting 12th then it's not going to make sense for me to take him knowing he won't be available at after my first two picks where it'd be a reach to select him.

It's also important to take advantage of value. This coincides with taking players who you may not necessarily love or be high on just based on the value you they present. An example would be Peyton Hillis this year. You may believe that he'll struggle to replicate the season he had in 2011 but if he is available to you in the 3rd round that provides great value, especially when you begin to compare the other RB's who are also available in the 3rd round. Taking advantage of this basic concept really give you a stacked team. I'm always high on certain guys but I'll rarely target specific players (if I know that's it's not realistic I'll be able to draft them) or almost never reach for a player. Every draft I go into I am willing to take the best player available each round so often my teams might very different if I'm drafting in different positions.

On the flip side if it's a sleeper I might have a lot of the same player on one team. A sleeper being someone who will be available in later rounds. This is really the only time I recommend reaching for a player. With your first 6 picks you really should be drafting based on value. For instance last year in PPR leagues I drafted a guy like Danny Amendola and wound up with him on most of my teams. I might have reached a round early to ensure I got him but at that point in the draft (round 9 or 10) there is no value left, it's such a crapshoot that if you reach for a guy a round early it's won't be detrimental.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Is Brandon Jacobs done? GO.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I've decided to employ the use of INDEX CARDS, yep going old school.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Let's talk about drafting QB's and the different strategies one could use.

Depending on your league format quarterbacks are often the most reached for position. In your standard 12 team 4 point QB TD league it's really not imperative to have a top tier QB and win your league. For some reason most FF players fall in love with the idea of having an elite QB and will take Peyton Manning a round too early. FF is obviously a lot different from real life football because in the NFL you do need a Peyton Manning in order to be successful year in and year out but not the case in FF. The reason this is such a crucial mistake is because at the end of the season there is little difference between the fantasy output of say Peyton Manning (say you take him round 2 pick 4) and Matt Schaub (round 5 pick 6). It might be around a 20-30 point discrepancy. Now say you take a WR like Greg Jennings (round 2 pick 4) and a WR who is available round 5 pick 6 it will almost always be a major difference in production.

All that being said it still really helps to have a good QB. But again if it doesn't line up for you to take a QB early or a lot of top tier QBs are being taken above their ADP and you miss out on one, it's not the end of the world, at all. If you sit tight and load up on RBs and WRs you'll be able to find some good value in later rounds. In the event you miss out on one of the top tier QBs you'll want to make sure you draft two quality QBs and rotate them based on match ups or hope to catch lightning in a bottle. Also with QBs if I'm going to gamble with a guy like Matt Stafford who is a high risk high reward player I might want to get a guy like Joe Flacco who doesn't share the same upside but is very steady and mainly thats what you want from your QB is steady consistent 15 points a game.

There's only really QB1 and QB2s. At least 10 teams in your 12 team league will have a QB1. In bigger leagues or leagues where QB TDs are worth the same as RB and WR TDs or 2QB leagues you need a top tier QB and thus the draft plays out accordingly and QBs should be taken higher then in traditional formats.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Is Brandon Jacobs done? GO.
No I don't think Brandon Jacobs is done. I do think the days of him getting 200+ carries are over. That being said he's still an effective player and can still prove great value with even 150 touches. If I'm an Ahmad Bradshaw owner I might reach for him a round early but he has a very low ADP.

I wouldn't want him as anything more then a RB4. He's a risky flex play but he'll score 8 TDs and if Bradshaw were to go down he'd be a RB2 in Standard leagues.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
I've decided to employ the use of INDEX CARDS, yep going old school.

Thats cool. I use the old school notebook.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
No I don't think Brandon Jacobs is done. I do think the days of him getting 200+ carries are over. That being said he's still an effective player and can still prove great value with even 150 touches. If I'm an Ahmad Bradshaw owner I might reach for him a round early but he has a very low ADP.

I wouldn't want him as anything more then a RB4. He's a risky flex play but he'll score 8 TDs and if Bradshaw were to go down he'd be a RB2 in Standard leagues.

RB4, really? What about Bradshaw's history of severe leg and ankle issues? BJ could potentially become the man again if Ahmad is as injury prone as everyone thinks he is. Or are you just grading on his ability with everyone healthy and not individual, case by case situations?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
RB4, really? What about Bradshaw's history of severe leg and ankle issues? BJ could potentially become the man again if Ahmad is as injury prone as everyone thinks he is. Or are you just grading on his ability with everyone healthy and not individual, case by case situations?
I'm grading out on a case by case situation.

Jacobs never had more then 225 carries in a season. He's closing in on the wrong side of 30. The year he did have 225 carries he wore down and as a result had a really low ypc (3.7). Even in the event if Bradshaw got injured the Giants would give Danny Ware an upkick in work. Jacobs can still be very effective and hold some value but the Giants will never put him in a position to carry the load thus him never being more then a RB2 and with Bradshaw healthy a flex option.

And as we know Bradshaw played last year almost entirely healthy and looked great/explosive throughout the duration of the season.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
I'm grading out on a case by case situation.

Jacobs never had more then 225 carries in a season. He's closing in on the wrong side of 30. The year he did have 225 carries he wore down and as a result had a really low ypc (3.7). Even in the event if Bradshaw got injured the Giants would give Danny Ware an upkick in work. Jacobs can still be very effective and hold some value but the Giants will never put him in a position to carry the load thus him never being more then a RB2 and with Bradshaw healthy a flex option.

And as we know Bradshaw played last year almost entirely healthy and looked great/explosive throughout the duration of the season.

Did not know. I have no plans on drafting B. Jacobs, I was just wondering.

Also updated my RB card, first one was horrific looking and would've been hell actually using that during a draft. 1 stands for who I think would be a first option RB or a featured back and the 2's are RB2 and RB3 obviously. I have an index card of longshots in case my drafts go bad and I'm left with no one.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Did not know. I have no plans on drafting B. Jacobs, I was just wondering.

Also updated my RB card, first one was horrific looking and would've been hell actually using that during a draft. 1 stands for who I think would be a first option RB or a featured back and the 2's are RB2 and RB3 obviously. I have an index card of longshots in case my drafts go bad and I'm left with no one.

Beanie over Shady!?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Beanie over Shady!?

LOL I don't even know who Shady is?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
LOL I don't even know who Shady is?
LeSean McCoy.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
LeSean McCoy.

Oh. It's not in any particular order after the first like...6 backs. I wouldn't even begin to rank that many backs.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: