Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Question- What are the 3 most important issues for Democrats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
trolling bullshit mate

Cheers

I pay as much taxes (or more) as most of the people on the board I'm sure. I'm all for a flat percentage based tax. The difference is I'm not a ****ing loser selfish greedy bastard, I actually care about what happens to humanity in the future.

It makes me sad to share a planet with assholes like you.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

the economy is, and always has been the #1 issue for everyone...it decides votes more than every other issue combined
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Question for you. What do you mean by leftist and how much overlap between leftists and Democrats do you see in the US?

Honestly I don't know, that's why I just wrote both in the OP. I remember thinking being "liberal" meant you were anti-war in general, pro-"good" government domestically, and pro-civil liberties outside of wanting peoples tax money. But I had a big wake up call as a Democrat (at the time) when Obama was elected, went against all the principles I thought were important to us , and weirdly enough.. nobody else seemed to be bothered by this. So to me maybe the difference between a "leftist" and a "Democrat" is that a leftist is principled in his own way, whereas a Democrat goes with whatever the Democrat party happens to be doing at the time. But maybe I just made that up as I went along typing this post...

But being a "principled leftist" even sounds silly, because the definition changes over time. Being a liberal used to mean you supported laissez faire capitalism. How times have changed...

Based on my half assed definition of leftist and democrat, I'd say there's very little overlap because a lot of "leftists" don't really exist. Most people just go with whatever the team wants to do, left or right. I also don't think a true leftist would have as much faith in the government as most democrats seem to have. "Question authority" from what I hear used to be a big part of Democrat ideology, but to me Dems seem ready to believe anything the government/propagandists says when it comes to global warming, capitalism, the need for war, health care, etc etc etc.

Last edited by joe : 09-24-2012 at 11:40 PM.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
1. Balance the budget.
2. Increase regulation of the financial industry.
3. Healthcare and other basic social issues.

Those are this democrat's most important issues.

What does this mean to balance the budget? I feel the definition of a balanced budget is different to different people.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I can't be 100% sure on this, but I believe that the Dems and the Republicans have often switched sides on political issues over the decades. So in that sense, it is wrong to called Dems strictly leftists, since that could change in the next 50 years or so.

My ranking:
1) Education
2) Education
3) Education
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #21
joe
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
I can't be 100% sure on this, but I believe that the Dems and the Republicans have often switched sides on political issues over the decades. So in that sense, it is wrong to called Dems strictly leftists, since that could change in the next 50 years or so.

My ranking:
1) Education
2) Education
3) Education

No you're right about that. The Republican used to be the anti-war party, that tells you pretty much all you need to know.

What do you think is the difference between a leftist and a democrat?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #22
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

JaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Honestly I don't know, that's why I just wrote both in the OP. I remember thinking being "liberal" meant you were anti-war in general, pro-"good" government domestically, and pro-civil liberties outside of wanting peoples tax money. But I had a big wake up call as a Democrat (at the time) when Obama was elected, went against all the principles I thought were important to us , and weirdly enough.. nobody else seemed to be bothered by this. So to me maybe the difference between a "leftist" and a "Democrat" is that a leftist is principled in his own way, whereas a Democrat goes with whatever the Democrat party happens to be doing at the time. But maybe I just made that up as I went along typing this post...

But being a "principled leftist" even sounds silly, because the definition changes over time. Being a liberal used to mean you supported laissez faire capitalism. How times have changed...

Based on my half assed definition of leftist and democrat, I'd say there's very little overlap because a lot of "leftists" don't really exist. Most people just go with whatever the team wants to do, left or right. I also don't think a true leftist would have as much faith in the government as most democrats seem to have. "Question authority" from what I hear used to be a big part of Democrat ideology, but to me Dems seem ready to believe anything the government/propagandists says when it comes to global warming, capitalism, the need for war, health care, etc etc etc.

This is an excellent post mate.

Which is why Kevinnyc will not be responding to it. He dodged your first question mate and this is another post he'll slither from away from. Because he is exactly what you described - unprincipled, easily manipulated, and ultimately just eager for the money others work for. Any distinction there is between democrat and liberal, he essentially takes the worst of each and combines it. He never discusses principle and philosophy because there is no way to justify the positions he takes with logic. Instead he just supports dems, bashes pubs, and posts stats and trends as if hes a pretend wolf blitzer playing news anchor in the situation room.

If youre lookin for strong points and arguments, or simply someone man enough to back up their positions, talkin to kevinyc is simply a waste of time. You wont get it. Press him a bit and watch. He dont have an excuse to ignore you, bc youre a civil chap. But he'll find one, or just pretend he dont see your posts and ignore it.

Youve cornered him and hes exposed, yet hes still gonna close his eyes and pretend to be invisible, hopin you'll forget about it and drop it.

Hes a clown mate, he really aint worth talkin to 'cept to laugh at and call names.
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #23
JaggerCommaMick
Banned

JaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this boardJaggerCommaMick has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli

My ranking:
1) Education
2) Education
3) Education

Yeah mate im with you on the importance of education, the problem is that education begins at home. It begins with support, encouragement, and a good example set by parents. A school system can only supplement those things, cant replace em, mate. And in me own experience, America is just too lax about parentin standards. Aint nobody wanna tell others what to do, but other people havin kids they cant afford or wont raise hurts everyone. Republicans kno this which is why they harp on family values. Liberals say "hey, dont come down on jawuandra and her six kids with no father, thats racist! Leave it alone!"

Thats six kids gonna bring down the average education, income, producivity in America in a few years, and then Dems will cry that politicians needto fix the economy and Republicans need to pay more money. How bout bein stricter with the majority of society, and get in a face or two rather than take the easy way out and attack people who raise kids, create jobs, obey laws, and give to charity.

Fucckin loser liberals, mates!
JaggerCommaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #24
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
What does this mean to balance the budget? I feel the definition of a balanced budget is different to different people.

Balance the budget means the government there is no deficit for that fiscal year. No more money is added to the debt. It probably means you have a surplus like under the last couple of years under Clinton.

However, even under Clinton (and ever other recent president, I believe, they borrowed the Social Security surplus (from payroll taxes) and used those funds in the general account.
KevinNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #25
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe

That's kind of an idiosyncratic definition and I don't think many people would define a leftist that way.

The reason I asked is sometimes when people talk about leftists in the US context it often makes no sense. (I'm sure this happens on the right as well.) They can't distinguish between, say the Democratic Party in the US and Shining Path Guerillas. (Also it's democratic when used as an adjective. Democratic Party and democratic ideology. If you say Democrat Party people are going to think you're an idiot or a troll like Rush Limbaugh).

I don't mind using left and right in terms of US politics, but some ideologues will want to use LEFT or RIGHT, like it's part of some international movement, rather than two groups within a democratic republic. Like if I support Social Security, I'm also down with the Baader-Meinhof group.. (See Glenn Beck for this phenomenon.)

Another good example was that report from the Department of Homeland Security warning against Right-wing extremists. You know, like the militia guys from Fort Stewart who had plans to kill the president and did kill two people in Georgia.

Instead of taking it for what it was, a warning about right wing extremists, you had idiots like this one saying it was a general attack on conservatives.

As for me, as a liberal, I'm not anti-war in general, but I am against as a first option and I'm anti-stupid war. I think it would also be nice if we actually declared war a power which is supposed to reside with Congress and not the President
KevinNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #26
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation

This

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O_W7VsoP81g

And that

http://tarpley.net/five-point-program.pdf

Please actually take the time to watch and read.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #27
joe
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Balance the budget means the government there is no deficit for that fiscal year. No more money is added to the debt. It probably means you have a surplus like under the last couple of years under Clinton.

However, even under Clinton (and ever other recent president, I believe, they borrowed the Social Security surplus (from payroll taxes) and used those funds in the general account.

So a balanced budget means there is no US federal debt, period? Or it means that for just that one year, the government didn't spend more than its total revenue? Or other. Still confused about this.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #28
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I find some of these responses from American Democrat supporters hilarious. You come to a country you call "free" and the best in the world, and all you want is more and more regulation.

There is a reason why if you ask anyone that has worked in both private and government run agencies/jobs, etc, all will tell you that the private line of work is far better. Yet the same idiots, particularly the college crowd and douchey wave of eco friendly-young-semi-hipster types vote for the way/party of more regulation and procedures.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #29
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

the 3 biggest issues for America from a Canadians perspective is;

1. Economy/Fiscal deficit

I lump these issues together because hopefully a stronger economy can address some of the deficit issues. However, overall reforms to entitlements is required as well.

2. Immigration/population stability

America is a great country and is generous but if population growth becomes accelerated due to illegal immigration then i don't see much hope in Ameica's future.

3. Education

America is a knowledge based economy and investments in education are needed so America can continue to compete with the rest in the world. America have some of the best higher learning institutions but elementary/high school level seem a bit neglected
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #30
joe
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
the 3 biggest issues for America from a Canadians perspective is;

1. Economy/Fiscal deficit

I lump these issues together because hopefully a stronger economy can address some of the deficit issues. However, overall reforms to entitlements is required as well.

2. Immigration/population stability

America is a great country and is generous but if population growth becomes accelerated due to illegal immigration then i don't see much hope in Ameica's future.

3. Education

America is a knowledge based economy and investments in education are needed so America can continue to compete with the rest in the world. America have some of the best higher learning institutions but elementary/high school level seem a bit neglected

Interesting. Any other non-Americans have an opinion?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: