Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Lakers games will only air on Time Warner Cable.

Didn't see a thread, but right now the new Time Warner SportsNet, which will be carrying every Lakers game this season, does not have a contract with any other providers besides Time Warner Cable.

That means unless you have Time Warner Cable, the only Lakers games you will see are the nationally televised games.

Now, a deal could still be made before the season starts, but I've heard Time Warner is asking for $4 per subscriber. That means that if Cox, or Verizon, or Direct-TV want to carry Time Warner SportsNet, they will have to pay $4 for every customer they have in Southern California.

These deals often go down to the wire from what I've read, but if I was a die-hard Lakers fan, I certainly wouldn't risk it. I remember the Yankees had a similar situation a few years back, and a contract was not signed until like halfway through the season.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lakers games will only air on Time Warner Cable.

And I realize this isn't the Lakers forum, but I thought it was an interesting enough topic to post here.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
ihoopallday
King James

ihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation here

Interesting. What if you have NBA league pass?
ihoopallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
SAKOTXA
College superstar

SAKOTXA is popular on this boardSAKOTXA is popular on this boardSAKOTXA is popular on this boardSAKOTXA is popular on this board

They'll eventually get the deal done before the season. No worries.
SAKOTXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Mgamer20o0
Serious playground baller

Mgamer20o0 has decent reputationMgamer20o0 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Didn't see a thread, but right now the new Time Warner SportsNet, which will be carrying every Lakers game this season, does not have a contract with any other providers besides Time Warner Cable.

That means unless you have Time Warner Cable, the only Lakers games you will see are the nationally televised games.

Now, a deal could still be made before the season starts, but I've heard Time Warner is asking for $4 per subscriber. That means that if Cox, or Verizon, or Direct-TV want to carry Time Warner SportsNet, they will have to pay $4 for every customer they have in Southern California.

These deals often go down to the wire from what I've read, but if I was a die-hard Lakers fan, I certainly wouldn't risk it. I remember the Yankees had a similar situation a few years back, and a contract was not signed until like halfway through the season.
TMC isnt even a option around here. $4 a sub is way too much for the station.
Mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
KeyNote
KR∆PES

KeyNote has a terrific reputationKeyNote has a terrific reputationKeyNote has a terrific reputationKeyNote has a terrific reputationKeyNote has a terrific reputationKeyNote has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihoopallday
Interesting. What if you have NBA league pass?

I've read if no deal is done, league pass will only be broadcasting laker away games
KeyNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
kurt_rambis
floss is boss

kurt_rambis has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKOTXA
They'll eventually get the deal done before the season. No worries.
you think so? time warner is paying $200 million a year for exclusive rights, i don't see them being all that eager to work out a deal with other providers
kurt_rambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
flipogb
College superstar

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

the title of the thread should somehow allude to the fact that deals will eventually happen .only question is when and how many games ,if any, will we miss
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #9
flipogb
College superstar

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
you think so? time warner is paying $200 million a year for exclusive rights, i don't see them being all that eager to work out a deal with other providers

its the opposite , that is exactly why they have to make a deal. they cannot afford to pay that from their own subscriptions only.
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #10
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyNote
I've read if no deal is done, league pass will only be broadcasting laker away games

Yeah that would suck
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 AM   #11
kurt_rambis
floss is boss

kurt_rambis has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipogb
its the opposite , that is exactly why they have to make a deal. they cannot afford to pay that from their own subscriptions only.
that's a fair point, but if their goal is to lure people away from directv and dish network making the lakers available on those services wouldn't really make sense. they're also expected to try and get exclusive access to the dodgers next year
kurt_rambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #12
Noof
Local High School Star

Noof is considered somewhat coolNoof is considered somewhat cool

I already have Time Warner. This will be the only time that's a good thing.
Noof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #13
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noof
I already have Time Warner. This will be the only time that's a good thing.

Aint that the truth. Time Warner usually sucks.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
OG LeeTSkeeT
Mr.Rager

OG LeeTSkeeT has decent reputation

was gon drop TWC but now guess I gotta keep it and get verizon fios internet.
OG LeeTSkeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
monkeypox
National High School Star

monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board

From what I've heard the terrestrial cable companies will likely get a deal done before the start of the regular season if not the pre-season. TWC isn't actually in direct competition with them since all the cable companies have carved up the land to create their little monopolies. For them it's just seeing who blinks first on price.

For DirecTV it's supposedly a whole other ball game. All the land based cable companies are super butt hurt about DirecTV. (If you've every switched between the two you'll see the rivalry goes all the way down to the guy that installs the cable because they'll always complain about how horrible the other service is.) Sunday ticket was a huge win for DTV, snagging a bunch of cable customers away. As TWC sees it, this Laker deal has been the first major strike back at the satellites that any cable company has had. There was a TWC cable rep on the radio here and he literally said that if a deal with DTV ever get's done they're going to make sure they take an "arm and a leg" with them at the very least.

With the sudden increase in demand for Laker games the Cable companies are salavating at the chance to take a chunk out of DTV. Which is why TWC is paying 200 mill a year for the rights.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: