Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #616
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,659
RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Again, because other then yourself, everyone that voiced an opinion was for going to 3 keepers. There didn't appear to be the need for more talk. We aren't getting everyone to vote....some guys don't post in the thread once after the draft is done.

Change was proposed before draft, discussed during draft and 'decided' before a single game was played. What more could be done to give people ample time to prepare for the change? I guess the one variable missed was having a GM actually tanking during the draft.

And you have to admit this is just a purely selfish position you're taking for your team. It's not anything that makes sense for the good of the league long term.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #617
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,662
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Again, because other then yourself, everyone that voiced an opinion was for going to 3 keepers. There didn't appear to be the need for more talk. We aren't getting everyone to vote....some guys don't post in the thread once after the draft is done.

Change was proposed before draft, discussed during draft and 'decided' before a single game was played. What more could be done to give people ample time to prepare for the change? I guess the one variable missed was having a GM actually tanking during the draft.

And you have to admit this is just a purely selfish position you're taking for your team. It's not anything that makes sense for the good of the league long term.

You know, we could have discussed it and decided it before the draft was done to actually give ample time.

But do what you gotta do. It's not selfish. It just doesn't make sense that after the draft it still wasn't set in stone, yet you say it was. Which shouldn't make sense that even bokes mentioned it doesn't make sense to make changes or talk about changes when draft is already in progress.

Also, discussion didn't take place until the 7th round, that's half the draft that had gone by before we started discussing keepers...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #618
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,662
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I don't even know why that would be considered. A couple years back the whole 50% rule applying on trades was put into place. I wasn't a fan of it, in fact I flat out didn't like it. I complained to RF about it. But the majority of people wanted it, and it was carried out. I had even made a couple of trades that year thinking that that rule hadn't been made official. I was upset for a little bit but I wasn't gonna hold the league hostage for it. I had to adjust accordingly. I think very few rule changes are actually carried out unanimously.

also like to point out, I didn't like that change either, however the rule was applied the year after, not after the draft had already been done...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #619
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,659
RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
You know, we could have discussed it and decided it before the draft was done to actually give ample time.

But do what you gotta do. It's not selfish. It just doesn't make sense that after the draft it still wasn't set in stone, yet you say it was. Which shouldn't make sense that even bokes mentioned it doesn't make sense to make changes or talk about changes when draft is already in progress.

Also, discussion didn't take place until the 7th round, that's half the draft that had gone by before we started discussing keepers...

bokes said not to make rule changes mid year, I believe, as have others. I am saying I believe that the majority of the league has been under the impression we moved to 3 keepers. Before, during and after the draft.

I still don't get why this matters during the draft.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #620
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
also like to point out, I didn't like that change either, however the rule was applied the year after, not after the draft had already been done...
I don't get it though. It basically sounds like you're saying there should be a 2 year waiting period for a change to be made?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #621
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
bokes said not to make rule changes mid year, I believe, as have others. I am saying I believe that the majority of the league has been under the impression we moved to 3 keepers. Before, during and after the draft.

I still don't get why this matters during the draft.
Yeah, and that was actually the reason why I said that. Because of that previous time I had mentioned where I wasn't aware that the rule had gone official. So I figured by clearing that up prior to the season starting we wouldn't have any issues with it because then everyone would know what to expect going into next year.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #622
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,662
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
bokes said not to make rule changes mid year, I believe, as have others. I am saying I believe that the majority of the league has been under the impression we moved to 3 keepers. Before, during and after the draft.

I still don't get why this matters during the draft.

because you draft based on keepers and the number of keepers you have. As I said, I wouldn't have done Wall and Rose back to back if we had only 3 keepers.

Quote:
I don't get it though. It basically sounds like you're saying there should be a 2 year waiting period for a change to be made?

Nope, had it been done before the draft, this would be a non-issue. But it wasn't decided, it only started being discussed in round 7 of the draft...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #623
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,659
RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Not that it matters, but the 50% rule has been here since before season 1 began. What we changed and discussed was the grace period from a trade being eliminated. I don't know what time of year that was discussed.

Some rules it makes sense to wait until the next year, some before a season begins and some before a draft. I don't see how the number of keepers impact a draft! Draft to win.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #624
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,662
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Some rules it makes sense to wait until the next year, some before a season begins and some before a draft. I don't see how the number of keepers impact a draft! Draft to win.

I drafted to set myself for the future. How are you gonna tell me how to draft in a keeper league? Not everyone gets as many lopsided deals every year as you do...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #625
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,662
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

but do what you gotta do...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #626
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Not that it matters, but the 50% rule has been here since before season 1 began. What we changed and discussed was the grace period from a trade being eliminated. I don't know what time of year that was discussed.

Some rules it makes sense to wait until the next year, some before a season begins and some before a draft. I don't see how the number of keepers impact a draft! Draft to win.
As far as I knew, when I started in this league (year 2) the 50% rule didn't apply to players you acquired via trade.

But to the actual issue at hand, I don't even know. I would saying having an entire season to set up which keepers i'll have for next season is fair. If it was sprung on us in January/February, that'd be a different story.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #627
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,659
RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
As far as I knew, when I started in this league (year 2) the 50% rule didn't apply to players you acquired via trade.

But to the actual issue at hand, I don't even know. I would saying having an entire season to set up which keepers i'll have for next season is fair. If it was sprung on us in January/February, that'd be a different story.

No we're saying the same thing. The 50% rule was around from the start...but the trade part and grace period change...but like you said, not relevant.

I guess my comments about the draft are because I just view setting up keepers is a season long thing, and not something that takes place in the draft. I don't know how your draft is impacted unless you are tanking during the draft which I think has it's own issues that could be discussed.

And again, I proposed this before the draft even started so it's not like this was out of left field.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #628
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,659
RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I drafted to set myself for the future. How are you gonna tell me how to draft in a keeper league? Not everyone gets as many lopsided deals every year as you do...

I can't. You can draft however you like for sure.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #629
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,662
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I can't. You can draft however you like for sure.

Can't. Some rule change might happen during/after the draft.

Quote:
I don't know how your draft is impacted unless you are tanking during the draft

I was clearly drafting Wall and trading for Rose, because I thought they'd be more valuable this year than planning for the future ...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #630
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,659
RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Can't. Some rule change might happen during/after the draft.

I was clearly drafting Wall and trading for Rose, because I thought they'd be more valuable this year than planning for the future ...

Like I said, unless you're tanking a season during a draft.

This is the weirdest argument. Clearly it's just because you have 4 guys you want to keep and you chose to tank the season before it began. Most of the league drafts to try and win and establishes keepers throughout the season...so a change to the keepers as long as its not made mid season shouldn't really matter. I'm lost...
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy