Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #946
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League Season Six

What about reversing the draft order so that last place teams get higher draft picks? I think this should be implemented rather than random choice, because we play year after year in this keeper league.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #947
RapsFan
Great college starter

We have discussed this before many times. You can't do anything with order in a keeper league in my opinion. As an example, say FC wins, he will get Durant with the last pick in the first round and then get the first pick in the second round. It's turned something that was meant to hurt the top teams into an advantage.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #948
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
We have discussed this before many times. You can't do anything with order in a keeper league in my opinion. As an example, say FC wins, he will get Durant with the last pick in the first round and then get the first pick in the second round. It's turned something that was meant to hurt the top teams into an advantage.
The idea is that, if I win, I'll select the last one in every round. That will make the league competitive longer into the season and it could even be a surprising champion some season.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #949
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:

I also think that doing the draft in that way still opens the league up to "tanking".
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #950
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
The idea is that, if I win, I'll select the last one in every round. That will make the league competitive longer into the season and it could even be a surprising champion some season.

I guess it could end up being an advantage but it still gives the teams in last place first dibs on the best players in the 1st round.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #951
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I guess it could end up being an advantage but it still gives the teams in last place first dibs on the best players in the 1st round.
That would only be the case if we also scrapped 1st round keepers altogether.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #952
RapsFan
Great college starter

^^^ exactly. And in regards to FCs rule, just too drastic. In the real NBA, best team picks last in 2rounds, while maintaining the majority of their roster. We are talking about only 3 keepers and 13 rounds.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #953
kmart
No props needed

How about if you keep a first rounder you don;t get to pick again until the late second.

FC keeps Durant (first pick)
Funk keeps Love (second pick)

Second round

Funk picks (second last pick of the round)
FC picks (last pick of the round)
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #954
RapsFan
Great college starter

Any rule that has an outcome on draft slot in a keeper league can basically be manipulated or used to a GMs advantage.

I still think 3 keepers and only keep first rounders once will have a big impact. Like FC for example would need to decide to keep a guy like Durant to try and win or trade I'm away coven dealing Durant for Lebron would have a big change to your team, so is it a good move. Guys will hold the studs to try and win, then they are back in for redraft.

As an add, we could put a first rounder keeper trade deadline as early then the normal trade deadline.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #955
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Any rule that has an outcome on draft slot in a keeper league can basically be manipulated or used to a GMs advantage.

I still think 3 keepers and only keep first rounders once will have a big impact. Like FC for example would need to decide to keep a guy like Durant to try and win or trade I'm away coven dealing Durant for Lebron would have a big change to your team, so is it a good move. Guys will hold the studs to try and win, then they are back in for redraft.

As an add, we could put a first rounder keeper trade deadline as early then the normal trade deadline.
I feel you are unconciously biased in your favor when you change rules. With my rule (champion selects last in every round), we still probably be first and second each season, it's not too drastic, just keep the league competitive longer in the season. But you still prefer a rule that doesn't affect you, but will hurt me. Taking this into account, I hope this rule wouldn't be retroactive, I mean, it doesn't affect a player that is already acquired (I mean, Durant)
Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #956
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Quote:
Nene admitted that he tore his left plantar fascia soon after re-signing with the Nuggets, the Washington Post reports. He tried to play through the injury until he could no longer do so.
Recommendation: Nene's injury problems have followed him to the Wizards, where he has missed 27 games. Many of the games he missed were due to the same foot issues that hampered him in Denver. Nene is averaging 12.3 points, 6.4 rebounds, and 2.6 assists in 23.8 minutes per game this season.
This guy is looking like a bigger and bigger catch with each passing day.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #957
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
I feel you are unconciously biased in your favor when you change rules. With my rule (champion selects last in every round), we still probably be first and second each season, it's not too drastic, just keep the league competitive longer in the season. But you still prefer a rule that doesn't affect you, but will hurt me. Taking this into account, I hope this rule wouldn't be retroactive, I mean, it doesn't affect a player that is already acquired (I mean, Durant)

Sorry what are you talking about?

Personally I have no issues with top guys being kept. I've said that numerous times. Not sure if you're just trying to cause drama here or what.

Many in the league have voiced a concern about top players being kept, long before you were even in the league. This is an idea to fix that. Again not everything is about you.

Last edited by RapsFan : 01-19-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #958
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Many in the league have voiced a concern about top players being kept, long before you were even in the league. This is an idea to fix that.
Many in the league also support that the champion selects last in every round,
And that is a far better solution than... forcing me to trade Durant for Lebron (just an example)

Quote:
Again not everything is about you.
It's not about me personally. It's about the guy that will beat you every single season, after you were the perennial champion.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #959
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Many in the league also support that the champion selects last in every round,
And that is a far better solution than... forcing me to trade Durant for Lebron (just an example)

Who?

For anyone who thinks this is a good idea, I just don't think it's logical. If we kept the majority of our roster, say 8 players, unrelated to a specific round, then sure this idea makes sense because the worst teams are adding better players...like in the real NBA. But when we keep 3, based on value (not just best player), it goes out the window and just doesn't make any sense. Someone has said it takes no skill to keep Durant. Then it definitely takes no skill to draft over 75% of your roster with earlier picks in every single round. Random is fair for everyone.

We can only keep someone in a round once....this applys to round 2 through 13. So why should it be any different with round one keepers? Isn't that a logical change.

You're missing the point about the Durant for Lebron example. I'll use other players so you don't think this is all about you. Say bokes is having a great season led by Chris Paul. He kept Chris Paul so he know he can't keep him again. He needs to decide to hold Paul on his roster to try and win, or to trade him and potentially mess around with a winning team. If he hold's Paul, he also knows he'll have a chance to redraft Paul. If he gets lucky and redafts Paul, he can then keep him the following year.

Last edited by RapsFan : 01-19-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #960
RapsFan
Great college starter

Brwnman, please add Cousins to your active roster. Been a number of games you have left him on your bench.

Last edited by RapsFan : 01-19-2013 at 11:21 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: