Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Should the government cut entitlements?

I want to read your opinions on this topic.

Last edited by longhornfan1234 : 10-14-2012 at 11:55 AM.
longhornfan1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Math2
Local High School Star

Math2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryMath2 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Should the government cut entitlements?

Yes
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math2
Yes

Which programs?
longhornfan1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

I would only support cuts to entitlements if conservatives have to give up stuff they care about too.

Raise taxes, cut defense, cut farm subsidies, cut oil subsidies and tax big oil companies and coal companies for extracting our natural resources as well or its not fair.

If it is done fairly, I think it would be in our long term interest to pay down our national debt and reduce the amount of money we pay as interest on the debt. All of that money being paid as interest is a complete waste.

I am personally a fan of Keynesian economics under normal conditions, but the current US debt is huge I have seen numbers as high as $16 billion, which is about 100% of GDP. This greatly concerns me and I wouldn't object to some action that takes this number down a bit before trying a stimulus.

I know a lot of people are going to argue that Keynesian principles is what dug us out of the great depression, but WWII had a big impact on stimulating the economy and helping achieve full employment. I fear continued spending that doesnt stimulate growth.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Which programs?

As a conservative you dont have to worry about this one, Every indication is Obama will be elected to a second term (national polls dont matter, Presidents are elected via electoral votes not popular vote. A break down of the states shows that Obama is overwhelmingly likely to win reelection.) and that he will agree to some version of the grand bargain in order to avoid sequestration.

Obama and Boehner already reached an agreement last time to raise the debt celling. The deal would have cut $4 for ever $1 of revenue increases. To quote Boehner "I got 98% of what I wanted."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...what-i-wanted/

The grand bargain was also based largely on the Simpson-Bowles commission that Obama appointed and recommended cutting entitlements and lowering Corporate taxes while increasing personal taxes on the rich and middle class. The only reason Obama and Boehner didnt follow through on their agreement was because the Tea Party and other extreme conservatives wouldnt allow Boehner to accept a deal that gave them 98% of what they wanted, because they wanted the other 2% as well.

The Obama administration was prepared to touch the 3rd rail of American politics and abandon core principles of the democratic party Fortunately for liberals/progressives (not democrats) Boehner is so weak he couldnt even carry his caucus, and had to pretend that he didnt want the deal after gloating that he had gotten basically everything he wanted.

Anyways the news from Washington is that responsible party leaders among the repubs have come to their senses and realize what a victory the grand bargain is for them. I believe obama will offer up the grand bargain again, and this time the repubs are going to take it.

So if you want to see cuts in entitlements don't worry its happening.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Nanners
Decent college freshman

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

yes, but start by taking entitlements from the rich

start by taking away the massive subsidies given to the fossil fuel industry. lets see if they can compete on the open market without government handouts.

take away the huge tax breaks and loopholes for rich people that allow guys like mitt romney to pay a lower % of his income to tax than I do (im no millionaire).

the govt spent $250 billion on subsidies and corporate tax breaks last year. end corporate welfare, then you can talk about ending welfare for poor people.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way

You have people that have lived through entitlements for generations now. You have people that take entitlements and buy alcohol and drugs with it. You can't just hand out money to people that are irresponsible. Perhaps a probation period. But something needs to be done about that.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
yes, but start by taking entitlements from the rich

start by taking away the massive subsidies given to the fossil fuel industry. lets see if they can compete on the open market without government handouts.

take away the huge tax breaks and loopholes for rich people that allow guys like mitt romney to pay a lower % of his income to tax than I do (im no millionaire).

the govt spent $250 billion on subsidies and corporate tax breaks last year. end corporate welfare, then you can talk about ending welfare for poor people.

This.

The right throws out the smokescreen of individual entitlements/47% when the dollars involved pale in comparison to the free rides given to corporations and the mega-rich.

Making sure that your citizens eat and can afford preventive health care is more important than making it easier for the rich to get richer.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

BEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat cool

Cut land titles. It's the biggest entitlement of all.
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm not very well-versed about socioeconomics and politics, so can someone tell me what would happen if all entitlements to poor people were cut?

Would they get their act together, or would there be some sort of mass revolt and wave of crime that would demand increases in spending for policing and containing the matter?
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Duderonomy
Nothing but NETS

Duderonomy has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
I'm not very well-versed about socioeconomics and politics, so can someone tell me what would happen if all entitlements to poor people were cut?

Would they get their act together, or would there be some sort of mass revolt and wave of crime that would demand increases in spending for policing and containing the matter?

Some would get jobs, some would steal and commit crimes, and some would become homeless. There is no definitive answer, everyone is different.
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Why is cutting the $200 a n!gga receives in food stamps every month more of a priority than cutting the millions another dude makes by cheating on his taxes?
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Why is cutting the $200 a n!gga receives in food stamps every month more of a priority than cutting the millions another dude makes by cheating on his taxes?

Because for every dude cheating millions on his taxes there are millions of n!ggas getting $200 a month for food stamps that they trade for crack.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad

Poor people having money is more "dangerous" than rich people having more money.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Because for every dude cheating millions on his taxes there are millions of n!ggas getting $200 a month for food stamps that they trade for crack.

You think rich people don't contribute to the drug trade? Who do you think are the biggest customers?
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: