Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 06-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #31
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default ...

Shaq is the most dominating force the NBA has ever seen. I have no problem saying he's even one of the top 2 centers of all time. There was no defensive scheme to stop Shaq when he had the ball down low, but to foul him and hope he misses two. Finals with 3 teams and titles with two as a main cog seals the deal.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #32
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Yougin's Akeem is his original name....speaks to strength eruditeness....added the "H" mid stream in his careem supposed to speak to Wisdom and Strength.

Akeem was the second best player on the team....Hakeem was the best player in the L but they are one in the same...he was Akeem first.
Umm... I knew about the name change. Its common knowledge. The point is that he changed his name, so therefore its proper (and respectful) to refer to him as Hakeem.

You don't call Muhammad Ali, Cassius Clay, do you?
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #33
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Umm... I knew about the name change. Its common knowledge. The point is that he changed his name, so therefore its proper (and respectful) to refer to him as Hakeem.

You don't call Muhammad Ali, Cassius Clay, do you?

Dumbass I am reffering to him at the time he was AKEEM!!!!!!!!

WHen I talk about Olympic gold I call Ali Cassis Clay that's what it says in teh record books......

AKeem was the first draft pick just becuz he changed his name AFTER you can't change who he was then.....

****in pricks around here.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #34
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Dumbass I am reffering to him at the time he was AKEEM!!!!!!!!

WHen I talk about Olympic gold I call Ali Cassis Clay that's what it says in teh record books......

AKeem was the first draft pick just becuz he changed his name AFTER you can't change who he was then.....

****in pricks around here.
Whatever, you idiot. Learn how to spell.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #35
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Whatever, you idiot. Learn how to spell.

Learn how to read *****......it's obvious I am reffering to the time b4 he changed his name when I call him "Akeem" so your didactic postering was uneccesary at best......
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:46 PM   #36
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default It's this simple...

It's this simple. You had to pick one center in their prime/top years that you had to bet on...

All due respect to Wilt, Russell, Walton, Kareem, and Akeem....

there is no way I don't take Shaq. He is easily the most dominating force this league has ever seen. Don't watch him play now...just remember when he was 28 or so...holy shiit.....

SHAQ
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:59 PM   #37
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default ...

Akeem is the better player. Shaq is the bigger player. You cant teach size. Akeem is about 6' 8 1/2 or at least it seems. seen him in person a few times and he's nowhere near as big as Shaq. The Dream at his peak was arguably as good a post player as there ever was. There was nothing he couldnt do. Yeah Shaq has been dominant for a long time because he's still huge. Skill for skill though Akeem is the man.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #38
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Wow, so, because Wade, a great coach, and a great collection of roleplayers gave him another title that means he was a better player in his prime? that makes sense.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #39
Darius
Good college starter

Darius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat cool

Kwali/Loki convinced me here, sorry fatboy.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:52 AM   #40
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius
Kwali/Loki convinced me here, sorry fatboy.
Okay.......
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #41
StarJordan
Irrational Jordan superfan

StarJordan is considered somewhat coolStarJordan is considered somewhat cool

Shaq < Hakeem because Shaq is a liability during crunch time.
StarJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:03 AM   #42
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarJordan
Shaq < Hakeem because Shaq is a liability during crunch time.

Today he is Jordanstar, but Shaq even Shot above 60% from the FT line for a year. It finally looked like Shaq was working on his shooting, then the very next year he became another liability from the line. Jesus Shaq
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:37 AM   #43
rashid242
Can barely lace up my sneakers

rashid242 has an OK reputation so far
Default Exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamKnight
i love Hakeem, but Shaq is a monster. i think a lot of here think Shaq was only good during the champioship years. when he was young he was a BEAST.

At age 21 he averaged 23.4 pts., 13.9 rebs, & 3,53 blks. on 57% field goal.
At age 22 he averaged 29.3 pts., 13.2 rebs., & 2.95 blks. on 59.9% field goal.
At age 23 he averaged 29.3 pts., 12.4 rebs, & 2.53 blks. on 58.3 % field goal

In the finals at age 23 he averaged 28.2 pts., 12.5 rebs,6Assists, 4 blks., & 61 % field goal. He was voted to the 50 Greatest players of Alltime after this season.

He did all of that when Dream,Ewing,D-Rob,Mourning, & others were all in their prime. He was just a young pup.

Now you can make a solid argument that Dream was better. However didn't become great in my eyes in the championship era dominating inferior competition.

He was great in my view after the 4 year strecth at the being of his career when he held his own as a youngster against Hall of Fame centers in their prime.
rashid242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:16 AM   #44
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Now you can make a solid argument that Dream was better. However didn't become great in my eyes in the championship era dominating inferior competition.

He was great in my view after the 4 year strecth at the being of his career when he held his own as a youngster against Hall of Fame centers in their prime.

He beat the same competition that the Bulls beat in the mid 90's. You don't hear many saying that the Bulls had weak competition. And Shaq's the the 00's is arguably weaker, especially in his own position.
However, I agree that many forget the first years of Hakeem-he posted some tremendous all-around numbers, however, he wasn't as consistant through games as, say, Kareem (possibly the most consistant player ever).
I also agree that Shaq surpassed Hakeem at an all-time scale. An MVP, 6 Finals, 4 rings, 9-10 times the leader in FG%, 2 times scoring leader. The only important sector where Hakeem will never lose his All-time advantage is his defense. Shaq was great when staying in the paint, preventing people from dunking, but Olajuwon could guard many more positions, get steals, block more shots, prevent fast-breaks...PER's won't tell you that.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:32 AM   #45
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

I prefer Hakeem (but that shouldn't be surprising since he's my favorite player all-time) but I do wonder one thing...

How would the perception of these two players be different, as far as ranking them in greatness, if Hakeem were the one constantly talking himself up, going out of his way to make himself seem bigger than the game, and claiming himself to be "The most dominant ever" (which he didn't do until he was safe from a declining Hakeem) while Shaq were the humble guy that never gave himself any credit and wasn't a media whore?

Maybe it's significant. Maybe nothing changes. Just a thought.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: