Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: Jeremy Lin Becoming Vocal Leader Of Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Probably people coming off knee surgery.

I think it's bush league for you to question his decision being that you really have no idea what kind of condition his surgically repaired knee was in.

It was reported at the time he could have played (in the NY media) but that he was being kept away for his long term good. This is not sour grapes, this was Jeremy Lin loving media. He said himself he was 85%. That's been since twisted into 'he was 15% away from playing" which any rational person knows he was not saying.

What is the question here? Is it not "Jeremy Lin is becoming the leader of the Rockets?" It's not "is Jeremy Lin a good player" or "is he a good guy" or "does he have potential". The statement being made is HE IS BECOMING THE VOCAL LEADER OF THE ROCKETS. It's sounds like total BS to me that a day into camp Jeremy, who is softspoken and wasn't the vocal leader at all on the Knicks last year has morphed into that.

Are you telling me he's become the vocal leader of the Rockets? Why? How? Is your team that abysmal?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
New World Order
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
It was reported at the time he could have played (in the NY media) but that he was being kept away for his long term good. This is not sour grapes, this was Jeremy Lin loving media. He said himself he was 85%. That's been since twisted into 'he was 15% away from playing" which any rational person knows he was not saying.

What is the question here? Is it not "Jeremy Lin is becoming the leader of the Rockets?" It's not "is Jeremy Lin a good player" or "is he a good guy" or "does he have potential". The statement being made is HE IS BECOMING THE VOCAL LEADER OF THE ROCKETS. It's sounds like total BS to me that a day into camp Jeremy, who is softspoken and wasn't the vocal leader at all on the Knicks last year has morphed into that.

Are you telling me he's become the vocal leader of the Rockets? Why? How? Is your team that abysmal?

The NY media took the 85% and ran the wrong direction with it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ive/index.html

Quote:
At the time, Lin says, he had been sleeping with an ice machine on every night and waking up early to restart it. He couldn't even touch the rim, much less defend. But the morning of Game 5, when asked about his status, he had publicly diagnosed himself at "85 percent" -- a comment he says has since been misunderstood. Lin was not 85 percent healthy, he says, but rather 15 percent away from the absolute minimum threshold to play. "People think it was easy for me to sit there and watch us lose, like I had nothing to do with the season," Lin said. "I was dying to play. I didn't miss a game due to injury in seven years until this past season, and people are acting like I wouldn't want to play in the playoffs? Of the NBA? In my first season?"
New World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New World Order
The NY media took the 85% and ran the wrong direction with it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ive/index.html

No they didn't, he changed the meaning (spin) him and his people after he got criticism.

Let me put in this way, if you tell me in Decvember he's become the vocal leader of the Rockets i'll be skeptical but i'll listen to how he changed. A few days into training camp, it's bullshit media spin with people trying to pump him up.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
No they didn't, he changed the meaning (spin) him and his people after he got criticism.

Let me put in this way, if you tell me in Decvember he's become the vocal leader of the Rockets i'll be skeptical but i'll listen to how he changed. A few days into training camp, it's bullshit media spin with people trying to pump him up.

You're going to believe what you want about this. That's clear. I can at least admit that I'm biased by taking Lin's word for it because he's a Rocket. My opinion on Lin hasn't changed at all. I still freely admit that I wanted to the Knicks to match that offer sheet. I'm sold on him as a player but I also haven't made up my mind about him like most seem to have. I believed him when he said his words were taken the wrong way before we ever offered him an offer sheet. I'm just openly defending him because he's a Rocket.

He's new to my team, so I'll give him a chance to prove myself rather than having my mind made about about a guy who hasn't even played a full season yet. He's shown that he does have some level of talent and intellect, and he's shown that he's a nice guy. This is a better situation for him to be a leader than New York was. He was resented by all of the egos in New York.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
You're going to believe what you want about this. That's clear. I can at least admit that I'm biased by taking Lin's word for it because he's a Rocket. My opinion on Lin hasn't changed at all. I still freely admit that I wanted to the Knicks to match that offer sheet. I'm sold on him as a player but I also haven't made up my mind about him like most seem to have. I believed him when he said his words were taken the wrong way before we ever offered him an offer sheet. I'm just openly defending him because he's a Rocket.

He's new to my team, so I'll give him a chance to prove myself rather than having my mind made about about a guy who hasn't even played a full season yet. He's shown that he does have some level of talent and intellect, and he's shown that he's a nice guy. This is a better situation for him to be a leader than New York was. He was resented by all of the egos in New York.
Nothing you say is wrong but it's a ridiculous assertion to me that someone whose personality is not to be vocal at all has become the vocal leader of his new team in what feels like a matter of minutes. It just is.

If a player you knew was one thing came to NY and after ZERO games i told you he was something totally opposite you'd call it out too.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Nothing you say is wrong but it's a ridiculous assertion to me that someone whose personality is not to be vocal at all has become the vocal leader of his new team in what feels like a matter of minutes. It just is.

If a player you knew was one thing came to NY and after ZERO games i told you he was something totally opposite you'd call it out too.

I'm not saying he is the local leader. I'm saying I'm giving him the chance, as a fan/supporter, to be the local leader and not question that assertion right now.

We'll see around the AS break.

I can see qualities in him that would make him a leader, but like you say, I can also see qualities that would not make him a good leader.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #22
stevieming
Great young streetballer

Lets hope Jeremy tightened up his handles....otherwise turnover hell is going to really impact his confidence and his team mates confidence, nothing worse then seeing your PG getting stripped
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #23
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

Will be interesting to see.

Watched a short training camp interview with Lin, and he was asked about being the franchise face for the team, and he openly admitted it's all basically been a bit of a whirlwind, and things have moved very quickly. He may not be comfortable in the role yet, but if what is being said is true, I'm happy to hear he is at least attempting to embrace it.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #24
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:

LOL A ridiculous assertion? The guy was basically a rookie, it's a ridiculous assertion for you to type as if you have a clue what you're talking about. He's not an 8year veteran, he's starting his second real NBA season on a team full of rookies and you're saying not only is it improbable, but it's ridiculous to think that he can be a vocal leader of this team? You make no sense, just a bitter knicks fan
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #25
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
LOL A ridiculous assertion? The guy was basically a rookie, it's a ridiculous assertion for you to type as if you have a clue what you're talking about. He's not an 8year veteran, he's starting his second real NBA season on a team full of rookies and you're saying not only is it improbable, but it's ridiculous to think that he can be a vocal leader of this team? You make no sense, just a bitter knicks fan
He's not vocal period. He's non confrontational. Why is me doubting a complete 180 in personality approx 2 days into camp ridiculous?

If i said JR Smith is a completely changed person and is now never going to take a bad shot and i noticed it first 2 days of camp would you accept that? Why not?

People obsess on Lin, he's changed teams now so everything the board criticized about him as a Knick is not allowed to be mentioned. Please...
Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
He's not vocal period. He's non confrontational. Why is me doubting a complete 180 in personality approx 2 days into camp ridiculous?

If i said JR Smith is a completely changed person and is now never going to take a bad shot and i noticed it first 2 days of camp would you accept that? Why not?

People obsess on Lin, he's changed teams now so everything the board criticized about him as a Knick is not allowed to be mentioned. Please...

Jr Smith has been in the league what 6-7 years? Again, you have a first year sample size. That means nothing. It's pretty simple actually
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Probably people coming off knee surgery.

I think it's bush league for you to question his decision being that you really have no idea what kind of condition his surgically repaired knee was in.

correct if im wrong, but the doctors cleared him to play. im 99% sure there a lot of guys on there rookie contracts that would have played. but they are just fiercer competitors thatn Lin.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #28
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Jr Smith has been in the league what 6-7 years? Again, you have a first year sample size. That means nothing. It's pretty simple actually

Yes, no one changes overnight. He was completely non vocal and quiet with the Knicks but 2 days into Rockets camp, he's the vocal leader. That's just laughable.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
correct if im wrong, but the doctors cleared him to play. im 99% sure there a lot of guys on there rookie contracts that would have played. but they are just fiercer competitors thatn Lin.

No you were right. I still don't blame him for not playing, he had no contract. i get it. But people want to give him credit AS IF HE PLAYED. That doesn't work. You don't get credit for gutting it out and playing if you don't actually play.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
TheAesirsFinest
The ? to All Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

You're still mad over this, huh?

The Knicks were down 3-0 when he was cleared to play iirc. Every Knick fan on the board was against him playing and potentially re-injuring himself.
TheAesirsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: