Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Default [Breaking News]: NBPA To File Grievance Against NBA's Flopping Penalties

Quote:
The NBPA will file a grievance and unfair labor practice charge against the NBA over the new rules in regards to flopping.

"The NBA is not permitted to unilaterally impose new economic discipline without first bargaining with the union," said Billy Hunter.

Hunter described the new fines as an "overreaction and overreach by the commissioner's office."

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz28L8pHMIo

Surprise surprise some spoiled NBA stars (though some players publicly appeared to be "on board") must have HATED the NBA'S decision to fine the floppers and went and complained to the players association

"b-b-b-but that's not fair!!!!11"

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-04-2012 at 01:57 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
maybeshewill13
How I feel in ur head

Default Re: [Breaking News]: NBPA To File Grievance Against NBA's Flopping Penalties

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=277911

Made this already. No one seems to care.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Default Re: [Breaking News]: NBPA To File Grievance Against NBA's Flopping Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=277911

Made this already. No one seems to care.
woops my bad dude, didn't see it on the first page so I thought nobody posted it... two threads and no replies - yep ur right, clearly no one cares
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
maybeshewill13
How I feel in ur head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
woops my bad dude, didn't see it on the first page so I thought nobody posted it... two threads and no replies - yep ur right, clearly no one cares

No idea why.. thought it would be big news. So BS.. players are f***kin' *******. These new rules better not get reversed.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
daily
cereal killah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
"The NBA is not permitted to unilaterally impose new economic discipline against the players without first bargaining with the union,"

Quote:
There was dialogue among league and union officials about the new policies prior to Wednesday's announcement by the NBA office. A person familiar with the discussions said the league initially proposed a maximum fine of $50,000 for flopping, but settled on $30,000 for the fifth offense.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...flopping-fines

Hunter's trying to justify the 600k raise he gave himself without union approval while the players were locked out
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
No idea why.. thought it would be big news. So BS.. players are f***kin' *******. These new rules better not get reversed.
Yah I have two reactions:

First, I'm glad there is finally a sign of backlash by the players (Twitter makes it seem like every player is on board, which I doubt is the reality). This power struggle move shows that even a chump-change fine is definitely enough to get players to think twice about flopping, at first I wasn't sure it was a strong enough consequence but now it's clear that regardless of public Tweets many players are crying the blues over these fines behind closed doors.

Second... I agree with you. This had better not get reversed by that stupid players union. Flopping for foul calls is a disgrace to the game of basketball, I hate seeing it, so does the majority of NBA fans - it needs to stop.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Here's the extended article:

Quote:
The National Basketball Players Association said Wednesday it will file a grievance and unfair labor practices charge against the NBA over new disciplinary guidelines aimed at curtailing flopping.

"The NBA is not permitted to unilaterally impose new economic discipline against the players without first bargaining with the union," executive director Billy Hunter said in a statement.

Earlier Wednesday, the NBA announced a new fine schedule for flopping, the practice of tricking the official into calling a foul by exaggerating contract. Under the guidelines being challenged by the union, the league said players would receive a warning for the first flop, followed by fines of $5,000 for the second offense, $10,000 for the third, $15,000 for the fourth and $30,000 for the fifth. Beyond that, players would be subject to increased discipline at the league's discretion, including higher fines and/or suspension.

All punishments would be handed out after possible flops are reviewed on video after the game

Hunter called the new rules "without precedent in our sport or any other sport," and characterized the penalties as "a vague and arbitrary overreaction and overreach by the commissioner's office."

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said, "Although we haven't seen any filing from the Players Association, our adoption of an anti-flopping rule is fully consistent with our rights and obligations under the collective bargaining agreement and the law."

While it may seem that the union is opposing something almost everyone else is in favor of -- flopping is the bane of our basketball existence -- the move by the NBPA was expected and largely procedural. Union officials are not necessarily opposed to putting rules in place to curtail flopping, but are prepared to argue that monetary discipline cannot be imposed outside of the fine schedule for various offenses already contained in the collective bargaining agreement.

Player reaction Wednesday was strongly in favor of the new flopping guidelines, however -- at least at Lakers camp, where Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Steve Nash all gave their approval for the concept, if not the execution.

"I'd love to see it have an impact on the game itself," Bryant said. "In international play, they give you a technical foul, a free throw and you get the ball back. I like the rule, though. Shameless flopping is just a chump move. We're familiar with it, and Vlade [Divac] kind of pioneered it in the playoffs against me and Shaq."

Nash said it's "good, actually, to try to keep the game honest and penalize guys for trying to trick the referees." Moments later, he was accused by his own teammate of flopping in practice.

"I drove down the lane today and I saw him and as I was going towards him, I passed the ball to Kobe and [Nash] kind of touched me and said, 'Ahhhh!' and fell on the ground," Howard said. "That's a flop. And coach called a charge on me, but he's going to get fined by me and David Stern."

After Howard informed his new point guard of this, Nash replied, "There's no videotape in here." Good comeback, but it's not clear whether this incident was an indictment of flopping or the new offense the Lakers are running. Shouldn't Nash -- not Dwight -- be driving down the lane and passing to Kobe?

Anyway, Howard said the only problem he had with the new rule was that punishing floppers after the fact isn't going to change any of the outcomes on the floor during the game.

"If guys are going to flop in a game, we're going to get the foul called," Howard said. "So the fine is not really going to help us in the game. It is what it is. I've never flopped. I don't know how to flop. For the guys who do, this is good. They can't do it as much and guys like me can be a little bit more physical and get away with it."

Howard, who perennially is among the league leaders in technical fouls, said he doesn't believe handing out in-game techs to floppers would be a better solution.

"I don't want anybody to get a technical foul for flopping," Howard said. "I just think you shouldn't flop in the game, especially in the paint. Some guys are really good actors. So instead of playing basketball, maybe they should start acting here in Hollywood and it would be a better fit for them."

The union will file its grievance with the league office and its labor charge with the National Labor Relations Board, where a similar charge related to the owners' lockout languished for months and ultimately was never ruled upon in time to help the players.

There was dialogue among league and union officials about the new policies prior to Wednesday's announcement by the NBA office. A person familiar with the discussions said the league initially proposed a maximum fine of $50,000 for flopping, but settled on $30,000 for the fifth offense.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter

This is really pathetic. One of the few times that I don't support the players association on an issue. I bet some of the league's top flops complained to the office and these clowns are now filing a grievance. Yeah let's keep having a shit show instead of trying to improve the game.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
All Net

Think we knew this was coming....
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

So the players union wants to keep flopping...this looks so bad. It's the NBA and their refs fault for allowing this garbage to go this far. It's so ingrained, so systemic that it will be so hard to get rid of this crap. The players will adjust, but why fight something that is so unpopular and hurts the game. I know they don't want the players to get fined, they have to do this smartly. Give the players a certain amount of warning and than begin fining. The first week or two should be the probationary period to let players adjust.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
LakersReign
Banned

Saw this one coming. Players like Wade/Lebron/Paul/Griffin, who've integrated flopping into their offensive skillset, are going to be severely hampered by those new rules. So much for the idea that they'll adjust their games to fit them. I, for one hopes the NBA stands their ground. You can't score without flopping like a b***h, then either learn or GTFO.
LakersReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
tmacattack33
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

Surprise surprise some spoiled NBA stars (though some players publicly appeared to be "on board") must have HATED the NBA'S decision to fine the floppers and went and complained to the players association

"b-b-b-but that's not fair!!!!11"

Maybe this will be good...they can start penalizing the flops with free throws given to the other team instead of money fines.

Or am i being too hopeful?
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersReign
Saw this one coming. Players like Wade/Lebron/Paul/Griffin, who've integrated flopping into their offensive skillset, are going to be severely hampered by those new rules. So much for the idea that they'll adjust their games to fit them. I, for one hopes the NBA stands their ground. You can't score without flopping like a b***h, then either learn or GTFO.
God I love your poorly concealed agendas.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
Maybe this will be good...they can start penalizing the flops with free throws given to the other team instead of money fines.

Or am i being too hopeful?
Maybe, but this doesn't fix the problem of ref's being fooled by players acting ability unless there is a ref who is constantly watching slowmo replays or double checking calls on the sideline or something. The thing that was smart and necessary about a post-game analysis and penalty for flops is that it is not required to stop gameplay or slow the game down any further than it already is. Unless our refs are truly playing favorites, it seems that in real-time our leagues refs seem unable to detect these flops on 50/50 plays, they always seem to call the foul no matter how retarded it looks to us on instant replay. So becoming dependent on penalizing them in-game might not even work. Who knows though, I just hope flopping stops I'm sick of it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
LakersReign
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
God I love your poorly concealed agendas.

You can really tell this idiot(kyrie) watches Fox News

You're(kyrie) just butthurt over the fact that I told the truth, like I ALWAYS do. Simple as that

Last edited by LakersReign : 10-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.
LakersReign is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: