Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Rockets/Jazz Trade Idea

Straight up, Kevin Martin for Al Jefferson.

Both players are expiring, and the contracts are near equal. Utah's system would be great balance for his scoring ability, and they would get rid of one of their million cogs, allowing for Kanter to get more time and for Favors to get a chance to start. Favors' defense is terrific and he's a terrific shot-blocker, taller, a better fit than Jefferson.

Houston has a center in Asik, allowing Jefferson to finally play his best position at PF. Asik is a great defender and has nothing to do with offense, allowing Jefferson all the room to play the post and giving him a great defender to play alongside of. I imagine that McHale would be a huge fan of Jefferson's game.

Thoughts?
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rockets/Jazz Trade Idea

People on the Jazz board have been saying that one for ages. Seems to work for both. Jefferson would be an excellent fit next to Asik who could cover his D issues. Jazz would probably need to sign 1-2 more bigs however as they've done a lot of work to fill in the 2-3 spot and run 4 deep at each position, but only have the 4 guys to play PF-C positions. Until the Raja Ball situation is figured out they won't be able to do that.

Bringing in Martin would give you two shooters in Williams and Martin in the backcourt, which could certainly open up things inside for Favors and Kanter. Only problem is it means less time for Burks and Hayward, although Hayward could split minutes between 2 and 3 with Marvin Williams.
El Kabong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope

QuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected poster

Just what the Rockets need: another PF. 10 is not enough...
QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Mr Exlax
McFailed next season

Mr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Straight up, Kevin Martin for Al Jefferson.

I imagine that McHale would be a huge fan of Jefferson's game.

Those are my thoughts. I've always been a big fan of Al. I thought we would have tried to get him already. I think Lamb will be a stud anyway so might as well go for Big Al.
Mr Exlax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not 100% sure what the ROckets want to do with Martin.

Roster:
Lin
Martin (?)
Chandler
_________?
Asik

As it stands, our PF and SF are stuffed full of forwards, so The Rockets will never do a straight up trade without getting rid of one of the PFs. Plus our SG spot is thin, so if Jefferson comes over the Rockets will demand a SG.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Hayward is more of a 3. Williams can be his backup. It might mean less time for Burks. But Burks is still very young and can be the scorer off the bench. To be honest, that's would also be best with Williams but whatever.

Houston has a lot of PF's, but everyone is young. Motiejunas and White are the guys with the high ceilings. But they're rookies. Even if Jefferson doesn't stick around, they can see what they got and move forward, as he's expiring.

Also, how is this team supposed to bring in a star if they're coming off a shit year? They need to be good and give someone a reason to believe that, with his addition, they can be a great team.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

In a heartbeat.

I'd even throw in Marcus Morris and a 2nd rounder if Utah would throw in Alec Burks.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Houston could always send one of those PF's to Utah. Utah could even send away Raja Bell, as he seems to be hated. He's expiring, so I doubt Houston would care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
In a heartbeat.

I'd even throw in Marcus Morris and a 2nd rounder if Utah would throw in Alec Burks.

You should throw in much more if you could get Burks. I'd add Lamb if they'd include Burks. You guys should have sent Kyle Lowry to get back Alec Burks. Utah was looking for a PG. They even settled for Mo Williams.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Houston has a lot of forwards but they can all (mostly) play different positions.

Patterson is a straight 4.
Parsons is a 3, but he can play some 2 and be a small 4.
White is a point forward that could play some small 5.
Jones is a big 3, average 4.
Morris is a big 3, average 4.
Motiejunas is a 4/5.

I honestly don't think Johnson and Brockman factor into the future plans, and at least one or two of the guys I listed will likely be moved in a future trade (just my opinion). But there's versatility and interchangeability there. It's not like there are 10 guys on the team that can just play PF.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
You should throw in much more if you could get Burks. I'd add Lamb if they'd include Burks. You guys should have sent Kyle Lowry to get back Alec Burks. Utah was looking for a PG. They even settled for Mo Williams.

What's the verdict on Burks? Isn't it somewhat mixed? That's why I included Morris (who is similarly murky). If the prognosis on Burks is much more positive, substitute Morris for Terrance Jones. Martin, Jones, 2nd rounder (maybe two or a future 1st) for Jefferson and Burks. I'd like for Houston to hang onto Lamb for now, if possible.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
fatboy11

Hell, I'd do Martin, Motiejunas, and another player (like Brockman, Forbes, etc.) for Jefferson, Burks and a 2nd rounder.

Jefferson + Asik with White off the bench would be nasty.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
What's the verdict on Burks? Isn't it somewhat mixed? That's why I included Morris (who is similarly murky). If the prognosis on Burks is much more positive, substitute Morris for Terrance Jones. Martin, Jones, 2nd rounder (maybe two or a future 1st) for Jefferson and Burks. I'd like for Houston to hang onto Lamb for now, if possible.

Morris didn't get much of a chance to play, but he also looked a bit off. Deserves more of a shot tho. But Burks has looked good, just hasn't played as much. I doubt they'd really let him go, tho I think they could have if this trade was made in the Summer, with Lowry included.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Burks won't be traded. A lottery pick who's only played in a shortened season, way too early to give up on yet. They said both he and Hayward put on 10lbs of muscle in the offseason, and he's had Mo Williams saying he was going to work with him to get his shooting right. He doesn't have that awkward shot like Brewer had, he'll get better if he works on it. His per36 stats were nearly equal across the board with Dwayne Wade in his rookie year, so if he can get his shot right he could be a very dangerous player.
El Kabong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Not nearly as good as

Rockets get Amare, ny 1st, det 2nd

Pistons get k Martin, m Morris

Knicks get Motiejunas, a daye, Villenueva

Rockets don't just need a leading scorer type (al Jefferson) they need an actual #1 option type that Lin, asik, and all the young players can play off of (Amare)
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Jazz would probably need to sign 1-2 more bigs however as they've done a lot of work to fill in the 2-3 spot and run 4 deep at each position, but only have the 4 guys to play PF-C positions. Until the Raja Ball situation is figured out they won't be able to do that.

They've got 3 vets in camp fighting for a spot now. Also Evans, Marvin and maybe Carroll could play up front as well.

Quote:
Only problem is it means less time for Burks and Hayward, although Hayward could split minutes between 2 and 3 with Marvin Williams.

Which is why it no longer makes much sense for the Jazz since they picked up Marvin and Foye.

Quote:
Hayward is more of a 3.

Some think he's best at the 2 but it's pretty much the same position offensively in Utah anyway. It would effect who he guards at the other end.

Quote:
Williams can be his backup. It might mean less time for Burks. But Burks is still very young and can be the scorer off the bench. To be honest, that's would also be best with Williams but whatever.

It depends on if Foye is the back-up 1 as some think he will be. If that's the case Hayward needs to come off the bench to run the offense.

Quote:

Going to take a lot more than that to get Burks. He's got a chance to be a star.

Quote:
Houston could always send one of those PF's to Utah.

Jazz don't need another young pf. They would need a veteran center. Can involve other teams possibly.

Quote:
You guys should have sent Kyle Lowry to get back Alec Burks. Utah was looking for a PG. They even settled for Mo Williams.

They didn't settle. O'Conner loves him and he's an expiring contract that they gave up a TPE for not a potential future star.

Quote:
Hell, I'd do Martin, Motiejunas, and another player (like Brockman, Forbes, etc.) for Jefferson, Burks and a 2nd rounder.

Motiejunas might make a deal out of it.

Quote:
His per36 stats were nearly equal across the board with Dwayne Wade in his rookie year, so if he can get his shot right he could be a very dangerous player.

A year younger than Wade too. Wade started and handled the ball and played a much bigger role as a rookie though. But he does get to the line like the best in the game.

Quote:
Rockets don't just need a leading scorer type (al Jefferson) they need an actual #1 option type that Lin, asik, and all the young players can play off of (Amare)

McHale just said he wants a guy that he can play through in the post which unless Hakeem is a miracle worker isn't Amare.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: