Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Am I being ignorant?

I was talking to a group of people who were anti-eating animals due to the inhumane way they are mass slaughtered. They feel that these types of practices should end immediately for the sake of humanity and sympathy of animals.

My reply was, "well, it's too late for domesticated cows to be set free into the wild. They're there, might as well eat them."

That led into a huge argument where my buddy's girl called me an ignorant asshole. It probably wasn't the right place to make that comment, even if it was semi sarcastic, but still I don't think I was being ignorant.
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Am I being ignorant?

animal rights people tend to go a bit overboard...lol you really can't win with them

Cows pigs chickens and others are bred to be eaten end of story. if you want a pet cow great, find one and do whatever you do with cows when you're not fattening them up for slaughter but don't tell me i'm wrong because i choose to eat beef.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Faptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No you're not.

I know it's wrong but I do it anyway. We all know it's wrong, somewhere inside. It's selfish. But I'm selfish. My life is better with meat in it. It does mean that animals suffer and die to feed me.
Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wu-Tang Clan's Masta Killa is a Vegetarian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r6hXVO6tdw

There shouldn't be any problem eating fish and chicken right?
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Animals should be handled humanely.... but we have incisors for a reason.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Overdrive
Local High School Star

Overdrive has decent reputationOverdrive has decent reputation

Actually we treat those mass-slaughtered animals humanly, since obviously most humans don't give a shit about that.

Humans eat meat, some choose not to, but I'd say remarkably more do than not and since humans, or live itself, always goes the route of least resistance, we keep our meat in some pen, so we don't have to hunt for it.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I can somewhat understand the idea of not eating meat of animals that are not treated humanely, but what doesn't make sense to me is that people will use that reasoning to not eat meat but still won't touch meat even if they found out that it was killed humanely. Seems to me that some people are just anti-killing animals as a whole and only use the "humane" argument because it makes them look a little more reasonable.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i love me some bacon
and i appreciate the lives of all the pigs who sacrificed themselves for me
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I can somewhat understand the idea of not eating meat of animals that are not treated humanely, but what doesn't make sense to me is that people will use that reasoning to not eat meat but still won't touch meat even if they found out that it was killed humanely. Seems to me that some people are just anti-killing animals as a whole and only use the "humane" argument because it makes them look a little more reasonable.

Something like that...

Fact is there really is no humane way to kill. It's kind of an oxymoron.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
Something like that...

Fact is there really is no humane way to kill. It's kind of an oxymoron.

I just view it that it makes sense to make sure they kill the animal fast. None of that 'hang the animal upside down by one thin ankle' while we slaughter it in a way that is convenient for us.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
DonD13
BasedTom's Mistress

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

well, you can't let them "set free into the wild" but you can make it a halfway good life for them

genrally, my take on this vegetarian/meat thing:

cool. want to eat.

not cool. do not want to eat.
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
well, you can't let them "set free into the wild" but you can make it a halfway good life for them

genrally, my take on this vegetarian/meat thing:

cool. want to eat.

not cool. do not want to eat.

Exactly this.

I'm vegetarian, believe it or not. My reasoning is solely to due with the way they are kept and treated. Obviously the way they are killed as well in some cases (beaten while still alive, tortured etc). I don't have a problem with people eating meat, but animals should be killed and kept humanely.

Most meat people eat are from animals who have been kept in cages that are so small the animals are basically sitting on top of each other. They cannot move an inch, and are fed a whole range of drugs to unnaturally fatten them up. Most places cut off chickens beaks as they chickens are kept in such bad conditions (see above pictures) they go insane and start pecking each other to death.

If you can, always try to buy free-range.. especially eggs seen as though it's easily obtainable and only a few cents more expensive.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
My reply was, "well, it's too late for domesticated cows to be set free into the wild. They're there, might as well eat them."

Yes you are ignorant. Cows aren't just there on some farm grazing and living happily until they die and you eat them.

Animals in the meat industry are being tortured systematically every day of their lives. That most certainly wouldn't exist if we weren't eating them.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Yes you are ignorant. Cows aren't just there on some farm grazing and living happily until they die and you eat them.

Animals in the meat industry are being tortured systematically every day of their lives. That most certainly wouldn't exist if we weren't eating them.

Exactly.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
DaHeezy
College star

DaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDaHeezy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ

So because I eat beef this makes me ignorant to the fact that this type of stuff exists? Obviously that shyt I don't agree with. You however may be the ignorant one to believe that this happens to all beef produce. I hope you're a vegetarian LJJ to call me out on this.

The reality is that the majority of the world beef produce are not subject to these conditions. This is an idea created by proaganda videos that lead you to believe that all cows are subject to this. For anybody that does believe this why not go to the place where your beef comes from? I gaurantee you'll see these cows aren't being "tortured". As far as the actual killing, there may be slight issues, but as someone stated, how do we kill them humanely? Most cases they do. It's not the hang em by their heels method that we are led to believe. Most places try to kill them as quickly as possible. I think it's more ignorant that animal activists go around and tell people that than to actually witness for themselves

Furthermore what do you suppose we do as humans? Stop consuming beef altogether? What do you think the world economy would look like if we just stopped eating beef and all cow products? The other reality is there is not enough free range space in the world to keep up the world demand to sustain organically raised cows. The requirements for farmland acreage, bailing hay, and all other added costs just isn't feasable in todays conditions both economically and agricuturally. Like soembody stated, if you want this type of product, go save a cow and kill them yourself.

And why stop at farm animals? Let's go further and see how fruits and vegetables are produced? Anyways that's a whole different story. So really, am I being ignorant or just proposing an alternate belief? My comment may have been coy, but it's not coming out of ignorance

Last edited by DaHeezy : 10-11-2012 at 07:46 AM.
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: