This thread is solely for nominations for the #3 Greatest Player of All-Time.
Any and all discussion regarding the rules and methodology of these rankings should be posted here: THE GREAT DEBATE: Ranking the Greatest Players of All-Time
One thing has become clear from recent 'greatest player' polls on ISH: the results are heavily influenced by modern fans acting like sheep to vote for their favourite players at the expense of more deserving - but less popular - alternatives. This skews the results in favour of popular and/or modern players.
Something else that I learned was that sometimes I find myself questioning my own judgement after reading a convincing argument written by someone else in favour of a different player.
Indeed, that is why I continue to come back to this forum. Despite the over abundance of childish posters with little knowledge, there is in fact a group of very knowledgeable members whose intelligence and common sense shines through.
All of the above helped me devise an unusual way of ranking players that I am excited about trialling here.
- The goal is to establish an intelligently debated list of the greatest players of all-time.
- Each day, ISH members are invited to nominate a player of their choice.
- Your nomination can be as long as you like. However, I recommend keeping it relatively concise and to the point.
- You can only vote for one player per day/round.
- Each day, I will select the winning player based upon the most persuasive and convincing nomination.
- Your nominations might include statistics, quotes, descriptions, explanations and video clips (etc) to help justify your decision.
- If your player isn't selected, you can re-use your nomination the next day, if you wish.
Criteria for selecting players:
- It's completely up to you. NBA, ABA, pre-NBA, NCAA, individual awards, team success, peak, longevity, style, substance... it's up to you.
The Greatest Players of All-Time:
01 - Michael Jordan (nominated by: pauk)
02 - Bill Russell (nominated by: DatAsh)