Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
WillC
Local High School Star
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,744
Default THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

This thread is solely for nominations for the #3 Greatest Player of All-Time.

Any and all discussion regarding the rules and methodology of these rankings should be posted here: THE GREAT DEBATE: Ranking the Greatest Players of All-Time

Introduction:

One thing has become clear from recent 'greatest player' polls on ISH: the results are heavily influenced by modern fans acting like sheep to vote for their favourite players at the expense of more deserving - but less popular - alternatives. This skews the results in favour of popular and/or modern players.

Something else that I learned was that sometimes I find myself questioning my own judgement after reading a convincing argument written by someone else in favour of a different player.

Indeed, that is why I continue to come back to this forum. Despite the over abundance of childish posters with little knowledge, there is in fact a group of very knowledgeable members whose intelligence and common sense shines through.

All of the above helped me devise an unusual way of ranking players that I am excited about trialling here.

Rules:

- The goal is to establish an intelligently debated list of the greatest players of all-time.

- Each day, ISH members are invited to nominate a player of their choice.

- Your nomination can be as long as you like. However, I recommend keeping it relatively concise and to the point.

- You can only vote for one player per day/round.

- Each day, I will select the winning player based upon the most persuasive and convincing nomination.

- Your nominations might include statistics, quotes, descriptions, explanations and video clips (etc) to help justify your decision.

- If your player isn't selected, you can re-use your nomination the next day, if you wish.

Criteria for selecting players:

- It's completely up to you. NBA, ABA, pre-NBA, NCAA, individual awards, team success, peak, longevity, style, substance... it's up to you.

The Greatest Players of All-Time:

01 - Michael Jordan (nominated by: pauk)
02 - Bill Russell (nominated by: DatAsh)
03 -
04 -
05 -
06 -
07 -
08 -
09 -
10 -
11 -
12 -
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -
21 -
22 -
23 -
24 -
25 -
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
funnystuff
National High School Star
 
funnystuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,124
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Kareem
funnystuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Asukal
College star
 
Asukal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,849
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Magic Johnson

- Greatest PG of all time
- unrivaled passing skills and playmaking
- as a rookie, he took over the most crucial game in a finals series when their best player went down
- if russell is the anchor of great defense, magic is the anchor of great offense
- a true leader and likeable media personality
- can play all 5 positions effectively
Asukal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
DatAsh
National High School Star
 
DatAsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,077
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

This one's between Kareem, Wilt, and Magic for me
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,110
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

If I were to participate, I would say Magic. I don't get involved in these because it's usually always agenda-driven, and people just whine about why their favorite player isn't ranked by everyone else as highly as they rank them, but I may see if I feel like making a case for Magic purely because Wilt and Kareem already have advocates on this board.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
fpliii
sahelanthropus
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,043
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
If I were to participate, I would say Magic. I don't get involved in these because it's usually always agenda-driven, and people just whine about why their favorite player isn't ranked by everyone else as highly as they rank them, but I may see if I feel like making a case for Magic purely because Wilt and Kareem already have advocates on this board.

I'd actually really like to see someone make a good case for Magic...my preference is not to rank players, but I he, Russell, and Jordan are fairly inseparable at the top. I think there's an excellent argument out there, but there's some work to be done.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,110
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
I'd actually really like to see someone make a good case for Magic...my preference is not to rank players, but I he, Russell, and Jordan are fairly inseparable at the top. I think there's an excellent argument out there, but there's some work to be done.

I'd actually began writing a case for Magic a while ago because I've seen people say Magic had a case but no one had actually taken the time to go in depth about it, so it was something new rather than the same thing regurgitated over and over again. I find it pointless to repeat things countless others have said countless times. I hadn't intended for anyone other than myself to read it (I just enjoy writing), but I might revise it to post here once I get home.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
BlueandGold
Lakers 2017
 
BlueandGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,801
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

lol how many "GOAT TOP" threads we gonna have on ISH?

shit is boring
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia
 
Dictator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,415
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Wilt. One man army. Stat stuffer(What ISH loves the best).

Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
fpliii
sahelanthropus
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,043
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
I'd actually began writing a case for Magic a while ago because I've seen people say Magic had a case but no one had actually taken the time to go in depth about it, so it was something new rather than the same thing regurgitated over and over again. I find it pointless to repeat things countless others have said countless times. I hadn't intended for anyone other than myself to read it (I just enjoy writing), but I might revise it to post here once I get home.

Ah, well I'd love to read it. In my opinion Magic is the best offensive player in league history (this characterization is purely subjective though), and while this might be an uphill battle (since I believe the majority of people place him clearly behind Wilt/Kareem for whatever reason, plus the whole played-out 'inseparability with Bird' thing), it should enlighten a lot of people. Additionally, new arguments/evidence are always great for the community.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,537
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

How about Wilt simply because most would agree he was a better player than Russell (while playing at the same time), who is #2?

Or do we need a long post?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
fpliii
sahelanthropus
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,043
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
How about Wilt simply because most would agree he was a better player than Russell (while playing at the same time), who is #2?

Or do we need a long post?

I don't know that most would agree...

Personally, I don't have a dog in this race though.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,110
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
Ah, well I'd love to read it. In my opinion Magic is the best offensive player in league history (this characterization is purely subjective though), and while this might be an uphill battle (since I believe the majority of people place him clearly behind Wilt/Kareem for whatever reason, plus the whole played-out 'inseparability with Bird' thing), it should enlighten a lot of people. Additionally, new arguments/evidence are always great for the community.

I'll send you what I've written then, and then decide whether or not I wish to post it on the board.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
DatAsh
National High School Star
 
DatAsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,077
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
Ah, well I'd love to read it. In my opinion Magic is the best offensive player in league history

I also share that belief.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan
 
G.O.A.T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 5,592
Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
How about Wilt simply because most would agree he was a better player than Russell (while playing at the same time), who is #2?

Or do we need a long post?

Most wouldn't agree. Especially those who were alive and watching or participating when they played. That's not opinion either. They had votes and Russell won them.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy