Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-30-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
CelticBalla32
I hit open layups

CelticBalla32 has decent reputationCelticBalla32 has decent reputation
Default Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East

I haven't posted on Rhyme Junkie in a couple weeks but I just put something together profiling Jeru the Damaja's debut album The Sun Rises in the East. Jeru is so underrated and it makes me sad that so many people don't even know who he is these days. His first two albums were produced entirely by DJ Premier and Jeru is an excellent emcee. He's intelligent, has a unique flow and a great voice.

Here's a snippet of the intro:

Quote:
I canít even begin to describe the pain I feel when I bring up Jeru the Damajaís name, and people look at me as if I just said that Rosie OíDonnell is sexually attractive. I can, however, look back at his excellence that so, so many people have overlooked for 20 years.

Jeru the Damaja made his commercial debut as a Gang Starr affiliate, as he appeared on ďIím the ManĒ off of their 1992 classic boom bap masterpiece Daily Operation. After he anchored the track by displaying his lyrical potential, strong flow and captivating deep voice that draws you in from the get-go, the people wanted more. Most importantly, DJ Premier wanted more. Not only did he put Jeru on and give him a crack at his own record, Premo produced the entirety of each of his first two albums.

Weíll get to Wrath of the Math next week, but for the time being, letís focus on Jeruís often overlooked debut album The Sun Rises in the East. On the strength of prime DJ Premier production, Jeru got the attention of the hip hop world in the fall of 1993, where he dropped one of the hottest golden age debut singles of the mid-90s era, ďCome Clean.Ē The smash acted as the set-up for what would turn out to be one of the most underrated albums of its time. Of course, it wasnít quite as successful as some of the other classics that dropped in 1994, as itís tough to compete with the likes of Nasí Illmatic, Notorious B.I.G.ís Ready to Die, OutKastís Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, Method Manís Tical, Gang Starrís Hard to Earn and a damn-near unlimited list of other timeless records; but make no mistake about the fact that Jeru held his own.

The Sun Rises in the East is bottom-heavy, as the second half of the album really bangs at a completely elevated level in comparison to the first five tracks. Donít get me wrong, thereís plenty to like prior to ďDa Bitchez,Ē but tracks 6-13 really cement this albumís legacy as a golden age classic. Jeru was gifted top-notch production, but he expands on his unique style of delivery by conveying quality lyrical substance on the strength of his intelligence, self-awareness and deep knowledge of his social surroundings.

Walk with me, hip hop heads, as I try to figure out how in the world Jeru the Damaja doesnít get the love he deserves.

FULL ARTICLE --- RECORD RECALL: JERU THE DAMAJA - THE SUN RISES IN THE EAST

Next week I'm gonna tackle Jeru the Damaja's second album, Wrath of the Math.

All comments/feedback is very much appreciated. What do you guys think of Jeru? What are some of your favorite tracks?

*MODS - I do not intend to spam, I've been an active member here lately and I'm just trying to put my content out there. I figure this generates extra discussion, which I'm more than ready to involve myself in. I don't envision my hip hop articles being a problem or a threat to InsideHoops, but let me know if it is.
CelticBalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East

I have/had this album. It's probably in one of my old boxes. I used to listen to a lot of hip hop back in the late 90's. I liked Jeru. In that period there were a few good MC's..they were just not mainstream enough.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

my favorite track on that album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJpjc3IU0M
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

NumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
I have/had this album. It's probably in one of my old boxes. I used to listen to a lot of hip hop back in the late 90's. I liked Jeru. In that period there were a few good MC's..they were just not mainstream enough.
A few?
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

NumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected poster

Btw, for those of you who don't know. This guy is who those Mad Rapper skits where mocking
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya

One of my fav tracks
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Rondooooooooooo
Liquid Swordsman

Rondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Classic!
Rondooooooooooo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
CelticBalla32
I hit open layups

Quote:

Yeah man, Aint the Devil Happy is probably my favorite Jeru track as well. It's a toss-up between that and Come Clean.

People look at me funny sometimes because they don't know who Jeru is, then I play that and they're like "yoooooo who is this!?!?" lol
Old 08-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Rondooooooooooo
Liquid Swordsman

Rondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation hereRondooooooooooo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBalla32
Yeah man, Aint the Devil Happy is probably my favorite Jeru track as well. It's a toss-up between that and Come Clean.

People look at me funny sometimes because they don't know who Jeru is, then I play that and they're like "yoooooo who is this!?!?" lol

Ain't the devil happy, come clean, and my mind spray are my top 3 songs from jeru
Rondooooooooooo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected posterTheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected posterTheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected posterTheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected poster

Amazing album. Wish this was how rap still was.
TheMarkMadsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
fsvr54
F*ck Society

fsvr54 is considered somewhat coolfsvr54 is considered somewhat cool

Jeru was amazing

Although I prefer Wrath of the Math

Come Clean is my favorite jeru song though
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
CelticBalla32
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvr54
Jeru was amazing

Although I prefer Wrath of the Math

Come Clean is my favorite jeru song though

Stay tuned, I'll be profiling Wrath of the Math next week.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:59 AM   #13
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Remember Afu-Ra. I still have his first album (Body of the Force). I was really into hip hop in the late 90's. WTF happened to hip hop?

http://youtu.be/eZHop4jupB0
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:16 AM   #14
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Still have his album in rotation.

y'all playin' ya self.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 AM   #15
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Actually playin' yaself is on his 2nd album I think.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: