Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

haji_d_robertas has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: #59 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Carmelo Anthony
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

G.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZARRO
Again, Artis Gilmore.

Could list more accomplishments than even being Top 5 in league history in shooting, rebounding, and blocks.

Really think about that for a second...TOP 5 IN LEAGUE HISTORY in shooting, rebounding, and blocks.

But I guess that doesn't matter if you didn't watch the NBA before 1990.

The problem is he isn't top five in rebounding or blocks in league history. He's not a top 20 shot blocker in post-merger NBA history and he's not a top-40 rebounder in NBA history.

You're using his combined ABA and NBA stats. Gilmore dominated the ABA statistically because of the derth of true centers who could battle him. All of the best centers of that era (Jabbar, Lanier, Reed, Cowens, McAdoo, Unseld etc) were in the NBA.

Gilmore led the ABA in rebounding every season he played for the Colonels. He never led the NBA in rebounding.

He was All-ABA and All-Defensive team during every ABA season. He never made an all-NBA team and he made the all-defensive team just once in the NBA.

Gilmore is one of the most efficient scoring players of all-time, but he also never was a good enough player to translate any of that into wins in the NBA.

This is the area he should go in I believe, but let's not exaggerate his impact.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Fudge
RNS

Fudge has a near all-star reputation hereFudge has a near all-star reputation hereFudge has a near all-star reputation hereFudge has a near all-star reputation hereFudge has a near all-star reputation hereFudge has a near all-star reputation here

Tracy McGrady
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
The problem is he isn't top five in rebounding or blocks in league history. He's not a top 20 shot blocker in post-merger NBA history and he's not a top-40 rebounder in NBA history.

You're using his combined ABA and NBA stats. Gilmore dominated the ABA statistically because of the derth of true centers who could battle him. All of the best centers of that era (Jabbar, Lanier, Reed, Cowens, McAdoo, Unseld etc) were in the NBA.

Gilmore led the ABA in rebounding every season he played for the Colonels. He never led the NBA in rebounding.

He was All-ABA and All-Defensive team during every ABA season. He never made an all-NBA team and he made the all-defensive team just once in the NBA.

Gilmore is one of the most efficient scoring players of all-time, but he also never was a good enough player to translate any of that into wins in the NBA.

This is the area he should go in I believe, but let's not exaggerate his impact.
I'd take Bob Lanier (who hasn't been mentioned yet) over A-Train.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

G.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Cunningham would be the best pick here. Reggie Miller a good choice too.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

50-70 last time just for the hell of it:

50. Billy Cunningham
51. Nate 'Tiny' Archibald
52. 'Pistol' Pete Maravich
53. Tracy McGrady
54. Hal Greer
55. Jerry Lucas
56. Robert Parish
57. Earl 'the Pearl' Monroe
58. Bernard King
59. Artis Gilmore
60. Alex English
61. James Worthy
62. Joe Dumars
63. Bill Sharman
64. Reggie Miller
65. Paul Arizin
66. Sidney Moncrief
67. Dave DeBusschere
68. Dave Bing
69. David Thompson
70. Lenny Wilkens
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Hal Greer
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #24
colts19
I hit open 5-footers

colts19 has decent reputation

Reggie Miller
colts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
fpliii
peace out

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think I'm gonna go Cunningham right now based on what I've read about him...btw when do you guys think Big Ben Wallace should garner some mentions?
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
I think I'm gonna go Cunningham right now based on what I've read about him...btw when do you guys think Big Ben Wallace should garner some mentions?
Around the 80's. After the Dave DeBusschere's and Gus Johnsons'.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #27
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

BIZARRO has decent reputationBIZARRO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.A.T

He actually had 3 TOP 10 MVP award share yeas in the NBA. He was Top 10 in the NBA in offensive AND defensive ratings.
His ABA scoring numbers were pretty identical to his NBA (rebounds were a little higher), but there is no way you can deny including these numbers or penalize his greatness because he entered the NBA at 27. Makes his accomplishments that much more impressive. He is like Warren Moon or Jim Kelly in that their total numbers meed to be factored in. I don't put longevity in for as much as most, but longevity stands for something.

Top 5 in History in shooting, rebounding, and blocks combined is about as impressive as it gets. You'd think just by hearing and not putting a name to it that we'd be talking about Shaq or Wilt.

He avgd. 19.1, 10, and 62.3% shooting at Age 35....better numbers than Kareem at the same age..showing his impact and greatness...

I'm not saying he was Shaq or Wilt...I'm just saying that without a doubt he should at least be in by now...
BIZARRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #28
dyna
National High School Star

dyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation here

Reggie Miller
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #29
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool

I got Reggie Miller here...Chris Paul a head of these guys wtf??!!

Any how Reggie Miller.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: