Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Toronto basketball media needs a good enima....

So after an entire summer of complete non coverage...

Suddenly we are bombarded with nice soft management friendly issues about how Barges gained 15 pounds of muscle, how John Lucas 3 is still "learning", how we should get to know Terrence Ross....

Seriously ???????

What about a position by position comparison to other teams in the Atlantic division ?

How about the comparable stats Barges should make (projected) in RBs and assists this season playing most at the 4 rotating to the 5 ? What would "that german fellow Dirk in Dallas put up "?

Give me some projected minutes per player at games 1 , 40, and 82.

I mean the Star / Sun and Globe and Mail are disintested enough in basektball to bury articles on Page 4 in the sports pages.... but ....

Gawd ....

The Toronto media coverage sops of licking management boots with nice bio pieces and no real basketball intellegence.

Maybe thats what you get in a city that has:
40 year drought in Stanley Cups...
Longest ever loosing streak to begin a season in Major League Soccer.
A baseball playoff dorught since 1993
Last Canadian Football championship just after Moses was born...

Of course all of these teams now owned or co-owned by "the unified front mega corporation for the peoples disinformation of sporting enjoyment" or Bell/Rogers

Last edited by Jballer : 10-09-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Toronto basketball media needs a good enima....

You act surprised. Toronto media has always done a sub-par job at covering the Raptors and basketball in general.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer

Suddenly we are bombarded with nice soft management friendly issues about how Barges gained 15 pounds of muscle, how John Lucas 3 is still "learning", how we should get to know Terrence Ross....

Seriously ???????

What about a position by position comparison to other teams in the Atlantic division ?

How about the comparable stats Barges should make (projected) in RBs and assists this season playing most at the 4 rotating to the 5 ? What would "that german fellow Dirk in Dallas put up "?

Give me some projected minutes per player at games 1 , 40, and 82.

I mean the Star / Sun and Globe and Mail are disintested enough in basektball to bury articles on Page 4 in the sports pages.... but ....

Gawd ....

The Toronto media coverage sops of licking management boots with nice bio pieces and no real basketball intellegence.

Maybe thats what you get in a city that has:
40 year drought in Stanley Cups...
Longest ever loosing streak to begin a season in Major League Soccer.
A baseball playoff dorught since 1993
Last Canadian Football championship just after Moses was born...

Of course all of these teams now owned or co-owned by "the unified front mega corporation for the peoples disinformation of sporting enjoyment" or Bell/Rogers

Soft stories... optimism... its almost like it's the pre-season!

You know what doesn't sell papers? Projected minutes per game, projected numbers, comparables. Outside of maybe one or two papers, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find ANY newspaper that publishes that sort of info. It's a big time ZZZZ for the common b-ball fan.

"Last Canadian Football championship just after Moses was born..."

Moses was born in 2004? I wonder if he does autographs....
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Seriously ???????

I take it you didn't like getting to know Terrance Ross and Amir Johnson more, jballer.

Yeah, some their coverage pretty soft, I did like this coverage of Jonas:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=274828

There was no reply, I could bump it after Jonas has played some game to review it. I just post the other materials, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way you do, though.

I do think the getting know stuff is just for trivia. I might add some more later.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
You act surprised. Toronto media has always done a sub-par job at covering the Raptors and basketball in general.

Sadly true.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Soft stories... optimism... its almost like it's the pre-season!
You know what doesn't sell papers? Projected minutes per game, projected numbers, comparables. Outside of maybe one or two papers, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find ANY newspaper that publishes that sort of info. It's a big time ZZZZ for the common b-ball fan.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...at.aspx?id=102

LA Times does a great job including stats such as attendence etc.

Their columnists also do a lot more indepth analysis around rotations etc.

Now maybe the Lakers are special.. but they have essentially the same info about the Clippers.

And the LA Times media empire doesnt actually own either team as far as I can recall.

I dont know much about selling papers but frankly I thought the only way papers could compete in the new "online web 2.0 world" was to have in depth coverage and insightful analysis ; shit that attracts the above average fan for opinions projections and all the "soft soapy crap" that is available on team websites like "meet Quincy Acy"

Frankly the Star and Sun do give me all that "crap that doesnt sell papers" about how many minutes Nelson Kardry will play this season projected... and how many minutes the Leafs will play their two goalies in rotation.... the first 3 pages is filled with crap about the leafs, their prospects, and analysis.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
I take it you didn't like getting to know Terrance Ross and Amir Johnson more, jballer.

I suppose I would like to get to know them - but I can get all that fluff from the media guides at the official team website or in the two programs I will buy this year at the game....

The programs should just slightly cheaper than my mortgage payment... no prob.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

umm, what's an enima?
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
umm, what's an enima?

Think it's similar to a enema.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...at.aspx?id=102

LA Times does a great job including stats such as attendence etc.

Their columnists also do a lot more indepth analysis around rotations etc.

Now maybe the Lakers are special.. but they have essentially the same info about the Clippers.

And the LA Times media empire doesnt actually own either team as far as I can recall.

I dont know much about selling papers but frankly I thought the only way papers could compete in the new "online web 2.0 world" was to have in depth coverage and insightful analysis ; shit that attracts the above average fan for opinions projections and all the "soft soapy crap" that is available on team websites like "meet Quincy Acy"

Frankly the Star and Sun do give me all that "crap that doesnt sell papers" about how many minutes Nelson Kardry will play this season projected... and how many minutes the Leafs will play their two goalies in rotation.... the first 3 pages is filled with crap about the leafs, their prospects, and analysis.

So you're looking for AP-produced stats tables?

Like this:

http://stats.sports.theglobeandmail....ats/index.aspx

or this:

http://sports.thestar.com/merge/tsnf...sn.aspx?id=118

Or this:

http://scores.torontosun.com/merge/t...ats/index.aspx

?

And I'm sure the LA Times columnists certainly don't do puff pieces like "A happier Pau Gasol is ready to celebrate the new season with Lakers" (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...7985013.story), or stories that promote the Lakers corporate product like "Lakers games become can't-watch-TV" (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...312689.column).

Lord knows they'd never print "soft soapy crap" like "Meet Quincy Acy"... I mean, you'd never see an article like "Meet Dwight Howard, court jester" in the vaunted LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...5779464.story).

Last edited by RaininThrees : 10-10-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

Yeah I think the entire Sportsnet payroll except for Tim & Sid are 100% allergic to basketball.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
So you're looking for AP-produced stats tables?

Like this:

http://stats.sports.theglobeandmail....ats/index.aspx

or this:

http://sports.thestar.com/merge/tsnf...sn.aspx?id=118

Or this:

http://scores.torontosun.com/merge/t...ats/index.aspx

?

And I'm sure the LA Times columnists certainly don't do puff pieces like "A happier Pau Gasol is ready to celebrate the new season with Lakers" (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...7985013.story), or stories that promote the Lakers corporate product like "Lakers games become can't-watch-TV" (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...312689.column).

Lord knows they'd never print "soft soapy crap" like "Meet Quincy Acy"... I mean, you'd never see an article like "Meet Dwight Howard, court jester" in the vaunted LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...5779464.story).

I sit corrected but also chargined...

Yes they do soft soapy pieces...

But they also dont bury it on the 4th page... I guess the LA Kings or Ducks get burried on the 4th page. Perhaps my entire discontent is also to do with the Maple Laughs populaity here.

However they have multiple columnists with very good articles. I have an actual paper - cant really scan and post here - not the online edition with the type of stuff I am talking about...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
I sit corrected but also chargined...

Yes they do soft soapy pieces...

But they also dont bury it on the 4th page... I guess the LA Kings or Ducks get burried on the 4th page. Perhaps my entire discontent is also to do with the Maple Laughs populaity here.

However they have multiple columnists with very good articles. I have an actual paper - cant really scan and post here - not the online edition with the type of stuff I am talking about...

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: