Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
FinishHim!
I dunk on kids

FinishHim! is popular on this boardFinishHim! is popular on this boardFinishHim! is popular on this boardFinishHim! is popular on this board
Default Anxiety/Depression

In the various Royce White threads i've seen a lot of misconceptions, and I thought it may be interesting to have a thread about it. Of course, this is just one article but I believe it has a lot of correct info in there.

http://www.anxiety-and-depression-so...of_anxiety.php

Quote:
Over 18 million people suffer from anxiety disorder. You CAN find help! About 9 in 10 individuals who seek anxiety treatment report feeling better.

Although there are many different forms of anxiety disorders (and anxiety treatment), the general definition for anxiety is:

"a vague, unpleasant and sometimes debilitating emotion that is experienced in anticipation of some misfortune. "

The misfortune is usually ill-defined, meaning that it is hard to pinpoint the actual reason for what is causing the anxiety. Although many people suffer from anxiety in certain situations, the reasons for why they feel the way they do are generally difficult to identify. Most people understand that they have anxiety. What is difficult to understand is WHY the anxiety has such a strong hold on their life.

Quote:
When we feel stressed, anxious or depressed, our brains may be releasing or absorbing (re-uptake) chemicals either too rapidly or too slowly. If left untreated, a chemical imbalance disorder may increase in severity as time passes.

Most modern methods for treating chemical imbalances come in the form of prescription medications. Drugs like Paxil, Prozac and Effexor are believed to have a direct effect on key neurotransmitters. Though these drugs work in about 60% of individuals who take them, patients often report experiencing a wide variety of side effects, and the drug manufacturers themselves aren't even sure how the drugs actually work to 'rebalance' chemicals in the brain. Users of these drugs often report relapse, as the drugs fail to address the underlying causes of anxiety.

Quote:
Some theories suggest that chemical imbalances are a normal part of life. Everyone feels stressed or anxious at times, even depressed. This is a normal response by our body to events occurring around us. It is important to note that the physical or mental feelings we experience and exhibit are being caused by the release of chemicals and hormones in our brains.
As you begin to cope with the stresses that presented themselves, your body starts returning to normal chemical states. Physical, and emotional symptoms begin to diminish. You are able to cope with the stress.

In most cases, we are able to develop coping techniques that can help us to immediately deal with the stress and the imbalance of chemicals that happen as a result. However, if we do not cope with the stresses that present themselves today, our negative feelings, emotions and thoughts take hold and might never let go.

You can read more on that link.
FinishHim! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Anxiety/Depression

One thing we need to move past as a society is this stigma that people who suffer from these things or see a therapist are "crazy".

There are countless people out there suffering from depression and anxiety and many similar things. Seeking help, and talking about it, and or going through it doesnt mean you are somehow damaged, or crazy or that it wont improve
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

C-Webb4 has decent reputationC-Webb4 has decent reputation

Quote:
Most modern methods for treating chemical imbalances come in the form of prescription medications. Drugs like Paxil, Prozac and Effexor are believed to have a direct effect on key neurotransmitters. Though these drugs work in about 60% of individuals who take them, patients often report experiencing a wide variety of side effects, and the drug manufacturers themselves aren't even sure how the drugs actually work to 'rebalance' chemicals in the brain. Users of these drugs often report relapse, as the drugs fail to address the underlying causes of anxiety.
I been saying this. There's no doubt that the pills can sometimes help a person to manage that horrible feeling but it doesn't cure it. If they found something that was capable of doing that for you, i'd be popping that pill all day.
C-Webb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've had anxiety/panic attacks before in the past. First time I had one I went to the hospital cause I thought I was having a heart attack or something, couldn't breathe, heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest and was just completely freaking out. This was at like 3am when it happened, I called my friend up in tears saying I was gonna die. The worst feeling I've ever experienced in my life.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
I've had anxiety/panic attacks before in the past. First time I had one I went to the hospital cause I thought I was having a heart attack or something, couldn't breathe, heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest and was just completely freaking out. This was at like 3am when it happened, I called my friend up in tears saying I was gonna die. The worst feeling I've ever experienced in my life.
Did you ever take medicine for it?

I've witnessed my friends mom have a panic/anxiety attack, I was scared for her, she behaved as if she was on the edge of death. She's gotten better over the years but I'm afraid of getting in a car/elevator with her, I wouldn't know what to do for her if she suffered.an.attack.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
One thing we need to move past as a society is this stigma that people who suffer from these things or see a therapist are "crazy".

There are countless people out there suffering from depression and anxiety and many similar things. Seeking help, and talking about it, and or going through it doesnt mean you are somehow damaged, or crazy or that it wont improve

I always tell people that therapy is about improving, not always about fixing something wrong, and everybody can using some improving.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
Did you ever take medicine for it?

I've witnessed my friends mom have a panic/anxiety attack, I was scared for her, she behaved as if she was on the edge of death. She's gotten better over the years but I'm afraid of getting in a car/elevator with her, I wouldn't know what to do for her if she suffered.an.attack.
No, they tend to think it's stress related. I was getting my ass kicked at work, and was going through a non-related health issue at the time, so it was just a bunch of shit piling up and I just lost it. I've had a few more since then, but they were very minor compared to it and i've gotten better at minimizing the amount of stress.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

Quote:
Are you better now? And if so.. how? Same thing happened to me before. Scary/embarrassing all rolled into one. Fast beating heart, dizzyness, choking feelings, tingling limbs, and a feeling of doom. And then I went to the hospital and clutching my chest as though I was having a heart attack (because thats what I thought was happening) only to have them basically say "this kid is just having an anxiety attack, why are we wasting a bed on him."
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board

My anxiety has gotten progressively worse over the years. I've never really told anyone about it though.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
Are you better now? And if so.. how? Same thing happened to me before. Scary/embarrassing all rolled into one. Fast beating heart, dizzyness, choking feelings, tingling limbs, and a feeling of doom. And then I went to the hospital and clutching my chest as though I was having a heart attack (because thats what I thought was happening) only to have them basically say "this kid is just having an anxiety attack, why are we wasting a bed on him."
It's been a good 8-9 months since I've had one, but as I said before, I was having health issues at the time which made it worse and I'm over all that now. Wasn't really any one thing though, started doing yoga which I find relaxes me a lot, stopped drinking as much coffee which the doctor said could be getting me wound up, started trying to eat better as well.

I was the same in the hospital, I felt kinda stupid cause I was freaking out and they hooked me up to one of those machines that monitors your heart and it was going normal by then and I had x-rays done cause I was having this weird tingling sensation in my chest as well and they just wanted to double check that it wasn't anything else before sending me on my way. This was like 3am on a Sunday morning, so half the people in the emergency room were getting stomach pumps and shit from drinking too much, so I think they may have been appreciative that they weren't dealing with a drunken idiot for once
Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
No, they tend to think it's stress related. I was getting my ass kicked at work, and was going through a non-related health issue at the time, so it was just a bunch of shit piling up and I just lost it. I've had a few more since then, but they were very minor compared to it and i've gotten better at minimizing the amount of stress.
That's gotta be frightening, you should definitely have something prescribed though, could save you a trip to the hospital when you get an attack
I hope you hang in there and sort it out, I can't imagine going through something like that
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

Quote:
It's been a good 8-9 months since I've had one, but as I said before, I was having health issues at the time which made it worse and I'm over all that now. Wasn't really any one thing though, started doing yoga which I find relaxes me a lot, stopped drinking as much coffee which the doctor said could be getting me wound up, started trying to eat better as well.

I was the same in the hospital, I felt kinda stupid cause I was freaking out and they hooked me up to one of those machines that monitors your heart and it was going normal by then and I had x-rays done cause I was having this weird tingling sensation in my chest as well and they just wanted to double check that it wasn't anything else before sending me on my way. This was like 3am on a Sunday morning, so half the people in the emergency room were getting stomach pumps and shit from drinking too much, so I think they may have been appreciative that they weren't dealing with a drunken idiot for once
Me too man. I had chest X-Rays, I was hooked up to the machine that monitors your heart rate (which made it WORSE, cuz I kept looking at it and feeling scared as shit) then they gave me a peak flow test, drew blood and did blood tests, and then hooked up this little medicine/smoke machine thing which I was supposed to inhale but I wasn't really inhaling it because even that scared me. And I was in a room with people who were legitimately sick or dying or really old people. And here I was, at I think 21 or 22 years old at the time. Everyone looking at me like I was nuts because I was sitting there looking like I had lost my mind or something. It's gotten better for me since then but still tends to be a struggle at times.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Its the subconscious going haywire doing whatever the f it wants. Telling you not to do shit and to avoid things. The subconscious is a bitch.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Same thing happened to me. Didn't go to the hospital though. Damn was that scary...
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Andrei89
Yes We Did

Andrei89 has decent reputationAndrei89 has decent reputation

Had anxiety before. Thought I was gonna die and shit. Learned to control it now. Whenever I feel my heart skip a beat or a that I am going to have a panic attack, I realize what is happening and it stops.

Still can't fight the flight anxiety I have developed over the past 3 years. Every time I fly is like somebody is holding a loaded gun against my head. It is horrible. I still fly though because I am a baws like that..
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: