Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Anxiety/Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei89
Had anxiety before. Thought I was gonna die and shit. Learned to control it now. Whenever I feel my heart skip a beat or a that I am going to have a panic attack, I realize what is happening and it stops.

Still can't fight the flight anxiety I have developed over the past 3 years. Every time I fly is like somebody is holding a loaded gun against my head. It is horrible. I still fly though because I am a baws like that..

When the plane bounces my heart stops. I just can't get over it fully. I fly A LOT. And i'm nervous the whole time, ive just got good at hiding it.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Andrei89
Yes We Did

Andrei89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
When the plane bounces my heart stops. I just can't get over it fully. I fly A LOT. And i'm nervous the whole time, ive just got good at hiding it.

for me it is much worse. As I explained above, not only my heart stops, but all sense of judgment goes away and for the remainder of the flight I am sweating and panicking like I would if somebody would hold a gun against my head.

It is an awful feeling which I did not have at all prior to three years ago.
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

I think anxiety is related to perception and sensitivity.

I have pretty severe anxiety when it comes to certain things. I've gone through times (and still have times) when I have anxiety about everything.

It's just basically thinking of possibilities and worst-case scenarios... and since I have a vivid imagination, it overtakes me.

I think the way to defeat anxiety is to be active. I think anxiety is also excess energy. When you start shaking, have a panic attack, or faint, it's because you are trying to be normal. Look at Gilbert Gottfried who obviously has tons of excess anxious energy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FukYIJhc_C8

You can say he's always moving and rubbing his hands together. Sometimes, doing stuff like that can help anxiety. With a player like White, during the game anxiety wouldn't be a problem... it would be in real life.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

C-Webb4 has decent reputationC-Webb4 has decent reputation

Yeah, I read that Royce said the one place it doesn't effect him is on the basketball court. It affects me most when I exercise so I know it's a little different for each person. As for flying anxiety, i've always had that even before being diagnosed. I guess my own ignorance of not knowing what it was gave me an ability to tough it out. I haven't been on a plane now in 2 years just for fear of what might happen while on there (even though I know that realistically, I would be fine).
C-Webb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people

I've been pretty depressed for a decent amount of time. It killed my grades for a year in college, which made it even worse.

And i've had a panic attack when i pulled a muscle one time and didn't really know what the f was going on, because it didn't just all happen at once...it just progressively got worse. And then when it was at a pretty bad level, i thought it would continue to get worse so i panicked. It was terrible shit.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation here

If you go to an ER they'll shoot you full of Ativan and write you a prescription for xanax and tell you to see a psychiatrist. I've had panic attacks, but never thought of actually going to the hospital. I thought I was having a heart attack too, but as I was already diagnosed with anxiety/panic disorders so I was pretty sure that is what it was, so I just tried to to relax. I had no benzo's on me at the time as I don't think i was seeing a doctor at the time, but I just tried to relax and it eventually just went away. I'm prescribed klonopin regularly now for anxiety in general now and another drug that is one of the old TCA that is supposed to work good for OCD and anxiety I just started, so we'll see if it helps, but yeah if you've never had a panic attack or aren't ready for it haven't been diagnosed yet it will freak you out because I'm no judge as i've never had a heart attack, but it feels the way you think a heart attack would feel: shortness of breath, panic obviously, you just start freaking out, especially when you have no idea what is going on.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #22
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Unhappy Re: Anxiety/Depression

SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #23
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I have social anxiety and I've had it for years. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I just deal with it and I don't take medications..I will not take medications. It's tough. The most simple things can become so difficult. Just sitting in a class room or being in a social setting is very stressful. Sometimes to the point that I feel sick..upset stomach..I might feel like I may pass out. It's bad sometimes. But I never give up..I keep on trying and trying. Sometimes I do well other times I'm wreck. But I try not to show it.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #24
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
One thing we need to move past as a society is this stigma that people who suffer from these things or see a therapist are "crazy".

There are countless people out there suffering from depression and anxiety and many similar things. Seeking help, and talking about it, and or going through it doesnt mean you are somehow damaged, or crazy or that it wont improve

well, if you have much anxiety/depression than you are by definition crazy.
deal with it.

what's in it for you if society has to come up with a new word for it?
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #25
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Man. On the outside, you would think I'm this young happy 22 yr old who has his life ahead on him. about to graduate college, already working at a hospital making 48-50K a year(Not job I went to school for)
Driving a bmw, pretty good looking, Good family, etc.

But for some odd reason, I never am, truly, "HAPPY".

YEAH, I have problems, like everyone else. But no matter how hard i try to say and preach to and be more "positive, be optimistic, enjoy life ", the less I actually am.

Throughout my whole life, I've had problems. For one reason or another, shit just always depressed me. Everyday it's a struggle to feel "happy".

Idk, it doesnt make sense to me and it isnt clear but I'm just always unhappy and uneasy. Something is always bothering me, and im always thinking about some shit i shouldnt be thinking about.

The only time I dont, or feel happy is when im drinking or ive taken like 8 pain killers. (Hydrocodone)
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #26
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
I'm prescribed klonopin regularly now for anxiety in general now and another drug that is one of the old TCA that is supposed to work good for OCD and anxiety I just started, so we'll see if it helps,

Be careful w/ that stuff. Even if only taken as prescribed, coming off of it is NOT fun. Klonopin has a very long half-life, and once your body is used to it, you are for all intents and purposes an addict.

Meanwhile, Benzo's (especially the ones w/ long half life) have some of the worst withdrawal symptoms of any substance. If you take it regularly for more than a few months you will be hooked, and should you have to come off of it for any reason you will experience a living hell.

-Spoken from personal experience:

I was first given Klonopin to treat generalized anxiety and hyper self-consciousness. All it took was 2-3 months of taking it as prescribed, and my body was "addicted". Then I had to be taken off it due to some unwanted side-effects, and went through a solid 2+ months of torture, even with being weaned off the stuff gradually...those were quite possible the worst few months of my life.

Last edited by FatComputerNerd : 10-10-2012 at 07:14 AM.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #27
FatComputerNerd
National High School Star

FatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFatComputerNerd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
Man. On the outside, you would think I'm this young happy 22 yr old who has his life ahead on him. about to graduate college, already working at a hospital making 48-50K a year(Not job I went to school for)

YEAH, I have problems, like everyone else. But no matter how hard i try to say and preach to and be more "positive, be optimistic, enjoy life ", the less I actually am.

Throughout my whole life, I've had problems. For one reason or another, shit just always depressed me. Everyday it's a struggle to feel "happy".

Idk, it doesnt make sense to me and it isnt clear but I'm just always unhappy and uneasy. Something is always bothering me, and im always thinking about some shit i shouldnt be thinking about.

The only time I dont, or feel happy is when im drinking or ive taken like 8 pain killers. (Hydrocodone)

Have you considered taking up something like Yoga or Tao-Chi?
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
vegasbigshots
Kids at the park dunk on me

vegasbigshots has no real reputation yet.

I believe it is stress and age related. I finally man up and told my doc regarding my depression. On meds currently. I'm ok for now. On iPad can't elaborate .... Hate typing on this device.
vegasbigshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #29
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

so has everybody.

(I'm not saying you but) today I find a lot of people thinking that they ain't normal because they are not enjoying as much as they think they should...
there is no reason you should be happy all the time because you have nice salary and a car

so the Don is here to tell you: It's ok to not enjoy.

Life ain't no freakin picnic
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #30
vegasbigshots
Kids at the park dunk on me

vegasbigshots has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

Dude, hang in there. Your last sentence there... Is screaming for help. Talk your doc ASAP.

Yes successful people have it too. I'm doing very well myself house paid for, 4 cars, 2 investment property, good retirement ahead of me, a cool business And yes I have depression. I m currently taking prescribed meds... What makes me feel good are successes and accomplishments.
vegasbigshots is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: