Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
JordanL

Default Always wanted to try fantasy basketball but never have? This is the fantasy league 4U

NOTE: Since this is a league for noobs, I figured that the fantasy board wasn't the right place to go.

Looking for people to join a fantasy basketball league. This is a league entirely for noobs. Learn how to play fantasy, don't get mocked for your mistakes (initially), and have lots of fun.

Fantasy basketball requires only a few minutes a day to do really well, and we'll try to keep a really active league, so please don't PM if you don't want to commit at least a few minutes a week to pop in and check things out. We might also have a small prize for the best and worst team in the league at the end of the season.

What type of league is it?

ESPN: This league is run through the ESPN fantasy system. You need an account there. It's free and pretty easy if you don't have one.

Live Draft: We'll be drafting live on October 22nd at 9PM EST/6PM PST. If you are unable to make this draft, you can pre-order your picks before the draft and then the computer will auto-pick based on your custom priority list.

Snake Draft: The draft order snakes from 1 -> 12 then 12 -> 1 and back again.

Draft Order: How we determine the draft order won't be decided until we have our league so everyone gets input. We could simply let ESPN randomize the order, or we could hold some kind of competition, bet or other method of determining draft order.

H2H Points: The league is scored Head-to-Head with a points system. This is very similar to how fantasy footbal scores. Each category contributes weighted points, and each week you play against another team for a win, loss or tie.

This is mostly because it is one of the easiest formats for noobs to do well with, as you have a clear opponent and a unified way of looking at your stats.

Wavers: When a team drops a player, or a player enters free-agency because of not being drafted, they enter a waver period. During this period, (3 days), all teams can submit a request to pick up the player. At the end of the waver period, the person with the highest waver priority that requested the player gets the pickup, then they move to the bottom of the priority list.

Additionally, there is a list determined by ESPN of players that are too valuable to drop. These players cannot be dropped from a roster no matter their injury or playing situation to help prevent collusion, cheating and so forth.

Trades & Deadlines: Unlimited trades can be proposed, and once a trade is accepted, it enters a 2 day waiting period. During this period, if 5 teams (out of 12) vote to veto the trade because they feel it is unfair and extremely lopsided, the trade will be rejected. If 5 teams do not vote to veto, the trade will execute after the 2 day waiting period.

Trades can no longer be completed after Wednesday, February 27th at Noon EST.

Playoffs: The top four teams will enter the playoffs. The playoffs are two rounds of single elimination, played by the same scoring method, and are two weeks long instead of the normal one week long matchup during the season. If there is a tie in the playoffs, a tie-breaker from the regular season is used to determine a winner.

Keepers: At the end of this season, if people still want to play, the league will carry over into the following season (the 2013-2014 season). Each team can select up to two players from their team that they would like to keep into the following season, and these players will be removed from the draft for that season.

You do not have to select keeper if you do not want to.

Prizes: Right now I'm thinking there should be some kind of prize for the winner of the playoffs and the team with the worst record. I have no idea what these prizes should be, and perhaps there could even be additional prizes. I want to make this competitive but fun for people who are new to fantasy basketball.

What do I do?

PM me with the email for your ESPN fantasy account. If you don't have one, make one then PM me. Slots will go to people in the order they are requested. As of this writing, the league is completely empty, so there are 11 slots.

Make it fun!

I would love to make this engaging and fun for everyone involved, including things like Google hangouts, chat rooms for big games/matchups, meetups if enough of the teams are in the same area, etc.

Any additional ideas on how to make this fun, engaging and interesting are welcome.

If you are interested, PM me your ESPN account email to receive an invite. If you are new, don't be afraid, no question will be too silly or stupid.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
SAKOTXA
College superstar

Default Re: Always wanted to try fantasy basketball but never have? This is the fantasy league 4U

Too good for you guys
SAKOTXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
flipogb
Banned

Default Re: Always wanted to try fantasy basketball but never have? This is the fantasy league 4U

as a noob I played with a lot of good players right away,still killed it. play with good players youl improve faster that wayand dont worry if they mock your picks, trust you insticnts and dont explain yourself
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!

Streamlining players is the way to go.
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
JordanL

Two spots left.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Suckafree
High School Varsity 12th Man

PM'd you bro!
Suckafree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Registered on ESPN for this. You better deliver
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: