Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #856
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Re: 2012/2013 Official Game Comments Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I think you have to use common sense though. That's a natural reaction. Getting hit in the eye, the man region, your shin, your pinky toe... those will make even the toughest man cringe and react. Techs are supposed to be used to police players tempers vs the refs or other players. Melo was clearly not attacking either.

I never forget my mom and I was going out when I was younger and we were in a rush. We used to have this raggedy bathroom door that wasn't sanded (one of my dad's DIY specials). I ran past it and re-opened a huge cut I'd gotten from playing basketball. Given the fact that it was old wood and metal that cut me, my mom immediately flooded it with peroxide and alcohol. The pain was unbearable so I slipped up and cursed in front of her. It was the first time I'd ever done so. To my surprise, she let me slide because I was in incredible pain. Common sense told her that I wasn't using foul language just to be derogatory. It was clearly a involuntary action because of the sudden pain.

I see Melo routinely go to the rack, snatch down his own rebound with ferocious intensity and get fouled both times and the refs let em play. My only issue is, if your going to do that, don't call him for a ticky tac foul on the other end.
Your mom is nice, my parents would have lit my ass up, since if I could curse in front of them i must be doing it outside.

But nah, he can't spike the ball.

What's crazy is he got a tech for the same thing last year....so it's not just a reaction.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #857
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
I will piggy back on some of what Knickcity said. I will give some of you some additional info needed.

Too many posters here are holding the Knicks to the standards of the first 5 weeks of the season. I wish most of you would deal with the fact that many teams started slow the Knicks started fast. This team was never as good as it started other teams werent as bad. It's not difficult for teams to make adjustments.

The defense wasnt as good as people think it was. The offense was efficient and hitting shots at a high percentage. That allowed the Knicks to set up defensively, didnt hurt as much getting out rebounded. Including what Knickscity said about turnovers.

This is not a good individual team defensive team. This team has to be better at team defending. This team switches a little to much for my liking and they need to play some zone. Also this team plays way too small nightly where opponents have advantages all over the court so its not hard for teams to get there shots over the Knicks. Shump isnt a SF and Melo isnt a PF Kidd should not start.

Now another dose of reality is the team isnt as talented or deep as some people anticipated. But they are better than a .500 team I dont think much better than .500.

With that said the team is now going to struggle because they dont have the same identity they had when the season started. The starters and rotation has changed significantly over the course of the season.

Lets see what develops over the next few weeks.

Solid post, and i will concede that the depth is not up to par.

But i do hope they get there, since they aren't going anywhere.

And I do agree the small lineup is a disaster...teams have adjusted to it.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #858
Rameek
Krust Kingz

I didnt have a problem with him spiking the ball. I think he gets fouled way more than they call it honestly he should avg 10 FT's a game. I think Chandler and Melo whine too much.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #859
Clutch
NBA Legend

I agree with franchize that we need to make a trade.

We need a guard who can penetrate and a young big who can rebound and block shots IMO.
I'm not asking for anything special,just get a guy for who can contribute without being a liability either on offense or defense.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #860
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I agree with franchize that we need to make a trade.

We need a guard who can penetrate and a young big who can rebound and block shots IMO.
I'm not asking for anything special,just get a guy for who can contribute without being a liability either on offense or defense.
We dont have anyone to trade for a player of that caliber.

Two-way players get paid and there really aren't many of them in the league.

Cousins would be that big but you gotta fork over Shump at the minimum.

We've got plenty of penetrating guards, the problem is they have a license to chuck up threes.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #861
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity

We've got plenty of penetrating guards, the problem is they have a license to chuck up threes.
No we don't. Felton is the only one who drives inside with some consistency.
J.R.Smith has the ability to attack the basket but he often settles for outside shots. Same with Shumpert. Prigioni and Kidd can't even cross inside the 3-pt arc against better defenses.

And for a big I'm not asking someone with range in his jumpshot. I'm only asking for a guy who can hustle,defend and rebound the ball with at least decent ability at the rim (not like Brewer or Jeffries). Just a guy who can get into the game,make some plays without me thinking "why is he playing,he's doing nothing out there".
Heat signed Birdman. I would love to have guy like that on this team (of course if it's possible with a better personality ).
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #862
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:

Yea? What's their names? When did we get them?

But yea I agree, any trade would be a low level trade. Maybe we can get lucky like Cleveland who was on the receiving end of one of the dumbest trades in NBA history lmaooooo They got paid quality players AND a number 1 for a saary dump of only 6 mil.

Im not asking for much. Asking for a guy like Cousins, even with his attitude issues, will require us losing major pieces mid season. I just want a guy like Ivan Johnson or Dante Cunningham or Jared Dudley. Someone who can do a little of everything. Noting special. Just a guy that can rebound, defend his position reasonably and isn't completely useless on offense. If we got a Marreese Speights type guy, I'd b excited.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #863
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
No we don't. Felton is the only one who drives inside with some consistency.
J.R.Smith has the ability to attack the basket but he often settles for outside shots. Same with Shumpert. Prigioni and Kidd can't even cross inside the 3-pt arc against better defenses.

And for a big I'm not asking someone with range in his jumpshot. I'm only asking for a guy who can hustle,defend and rebound the ball with at least decent ability at the rim (not like Brewer or Jeffries). Just a guy who can get into the game,make some plays without me thinking "why is he playing,he's doing nothing out there".
Heat signed Birdman. I would love to have guy like that on this team (of course if it's possible with a better personality ).
felton Shump and JR are fully capable to drive into the paint, they dont do it because they aren't being instructed to....three is plenty.

Driving into the paint isn't all that's required, Lin did that and was crashing into everything moving and turning the ball over in the process.

I wanna see Birdman play meaningful minutes first before i toot that horn.

But to get talent you have to give talent.

There's only two guys on the team that can command worthy pieces....

Melo and Shump....Shump is on a rookie scale so you most likely wouldn't fetch nothing major with him.

Honestly this convo is old, we all doubt the team will make a move.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #864
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Yea? What's their names? When did we get them?

But yea I agree, any trade would be a low level trade. Maybe we can get lucky like Cleveland who was on the receiving end of one of the dumbest trades in NBA history lmaooooo They got paid quality players AND a number 1 for a saary dump of only 6 mil.

Im not asking for much. Asking for a guy like Cousins, even with his attitude issues, will require us losing major pieces mid season. I just want a guy like Ivan Johnson or Dante Cunningham or Jared Dudley. Someone who can do a little of everything. Noting special. Just a guy that can rebound, defend his position reasonably and isn't completely useless on offense. If we got a Marreese Speights type guy, I'd b excited.
The Grizzlies won that deal, now they dont have to move their quality talent, still compete, and dont have to pay that luxury tax having guys out of the rotation making quality dollars.

Keep in mind they got a 6.3 million trade exception that they dont have to use for a full year.

They can do alot with that WHILE avoiding the luxury tax.

They won on the court and off.

The Knicks dont have that luxury at all.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #865
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

I thought Josh Smith was going to drain it. He couldn't have asked for a better look.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #866
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
I thought Josh Smith was going to drain it. He couldn't have asked for a better look.
He also had that back violation, but he was wide open on that three.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #867
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

I will officially rest my case, these are the COACHES words......

He does a weekly show on the SAS show, and Zwerling took the words and wrote an article about it...

Woodson Radio Interview SAS Show

"Even though the Knicks allowed the Hawks to score 104 points and shoot 60 percent from the field, Mike Woodson is more concerned with his team's offense. And rightfully so. While they're holding opponents to a sixth-best 94.5 points per game in January, they've significantly dropped in scoring from 102.3 points per game through December to 95.8 this month."

"Our offense has been stinking a little bit in terms of us getting ball movement and getting back to executing how we were earlier in the season," Woodson said on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco" show on Monday afternoon. "

As far as the defense, coach said all the team needs is more practice time.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...-been-stinking

But yeah I will officially rest my case, this team is built around OFFENSE.

The coach has officially let that be known.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #868
el gringos
Good college starter

Quote:
We need to make a trade. It doesn't need to be a blockbuster trade, although you guys know I would trade Chandler in a heartbeat.
Chandler
For
Ryan Anderson and Jason smith
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #869
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
I will officially rest my case, these are the COACHES words......

He does a weekly show on the SAS show, and Zwerling took the words and wrote an article about it...

Woodson Radio Interview SAS Show

"Even though the Knicks allowed the Hawks to score 104 points and shoot 60 percent from the field, Mike Woodson is more concerned with his team's offense. And rightfully so. While they're holding opponents to a sixth-best 94.5 points per game in January, they've significantly dropped in scoring from 102.3 points per game through December to 95.8 this month."

"Our offense has been stinking a little bit in terms of us getting ball movement and getting back to executing how we were earlier in the season," Woodson said on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco" show on Monday afternoon. "

As far as the defense, coach said all the team needs is more practice time.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...-been-stinking

But yeah I will officially rest my case, this team is built around OFFENSE.

The coach has officially let that be known.
Come on man,we played against some awful offensive teams in January. Pacers,Sixers,Hornets,Pistons. Even the Nets and Celtics are below league average in points scored per game.

The only game that we can say we did something was when we held Spurs to 83 points and that's it.
We let Bulls score 108. Blazers scored 105.Hawks 104. Philly scored 97 but it seemed like 80 came from the same play

Opponents points per game might suggest it but we aren't the 6th best defensive team right now. We just happened to play some awful offensive teams. Actually 10 of 11 are below league average in scoring (only the Spurs aren't).

You can be an offensive oriented team but you need to play defense too. Letting teams who usually score 93 points per game come into your house and go for 108 isn't going to cut it,especially if that team is as good defensively as the Bulls are.

Our scoring is down because Felton was out for the almost whole month of January up until now. He missed only 2 games in December. That's a pretty solid excuse.
On the other hand I don't see an excuse for letting horrible offensive teams torch us. Point guards are so lucky when they see they play against the Knicks. Holiday scored 35. Teague had 27. Next game is against Orlando so I guess Jameer Nelson is waiting with a huge grin on his face.

Last edited by Clutch : 01-29-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #870
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Come on man,we played against some awful offensive teams in January. Pacers,Sixers,Hornets,Pistons. Even the Nets and Celtics are below league average in points scored per game.

The only game that we can say we did something was when we held Spurs to 83 points and that's it.
We let Bulls score 108. Blazers scored 105.Hawks 104. Philly scored 97 but it seemed like 80 came from the same play

Opponents points per game might suggest it but we aren't the 6th best defensive team right now. We just happened to play some awful offensive teams. Actually 10 of 11 are below league average in scoring (only the Spurs aren't).
So let me get this straight, you think the team played great defense to start the season, when we played the same teams then that we are now?

Philly Twice, Orlando, Indy, Hornets....five of our first 9 opponents dont score points....we didn't defend squat...they dont score anyway.

And thats combined with giving up back to back 100 points during that same 8 game stretch.

LeBron and Wade checked out the Miami game with close to 5 minutes remaining, but i guess they would have remained scoreless had they stayed in the game....Miami scored 7 more points because it was all scrubs out there.

The fact show the team doesn't and never has had great defense, they win with making shots, a ridiculous number of threes, and dont turnover the ball and the coach has officially said it.

No real need to go any further.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: