Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default Re: Peterson: "Harvin best I've played with"

This isn't like a 2010 Vick where you have to judge him a little differently than a normal quarterback. He was rushing for almost 60 yards a game and scoring more touchdowns on the ground than most running backs.

This isn't like last years Cam rushing for 700 yards and having 14 rushing touchdowns.

This is Percy Harvin, running 2-3 times a game. That's almost irrelevant.

Bottom line, whether you look at it from a production stand point or his physical talent, he's nowhere near top three.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

His physical talent is top 3. Nowhere near? clueless.

As a receiver his route running has improved a lot since his rookie year and he catches everything. He's had some nutty toe tap plays too, elite speed on top of it all. And his skills as a ball carrier are absolutely elite, his balance and elusiveness is unseen.

On top of it he's an elite kick returner, he's seriously great at everything. The likes of Fitz, AJ Green and Calvin are far better receivers, I dunno how many running backs you can say are far better running backs. Peterson is slightly better, and he's one of the best in the league inarguably.

If Harvin was on the Pats or some marquee team he would be regarded much higher.

Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Cam Newton, RG3 & Michael Vick are all better physical talents, and that's just the first position and first three players I thought of.

Then you have guys like Megatron, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Vernon Davis, Julius Peppers, JPP, Patrick Peterson, Julio, McFadden, Peterson, etc, etc....
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Cam Newton, RG3 & Michael Vick are all better physical talents, and that's just the first position and first three players I thought of.

Then you have guys like Megatron, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Vernon Davis, Julius Peppers, JPP, Patrick Peterson, Julio, McFadden, Peterson, etc, etc....

no one you listed has the all around versatility of talents at such high levels

No QB is close, I dunno if you want Percy to throw the ball or something why are you listing QBs?

Megatron- Better physical specimen, better hands. Percy is faster, and a better ball carrier. I'd list Megatron as a top 2 talent so I would take him over Harvin but just saying.

AJ- This one is close but I'd take Harvin because of versatility.

AJ Green- Yeah I'd list him top 2 with Calvin I think.

I find it hard to compare him to defensive players

no RB has what percy has as far as being so good in every area imo

etc etc can compare for days
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Cam is 6'5, 240 running a 4.6/40 throwing the ball 70 yards down the field like nothing while having the running ability to gain 700 yards as a quarterback and rush for 14 touchdowns, effectively being one of if not the best goalline running backs in the league.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #21
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

K I thought of a good comparison for Percy.

As a running back he's like Jamaal Charles, but with the trucking ability of Demarco Murray. As a receiver he's like Mike Wallace but once he catches it he's alot better because of what I said previously, he transforms into Jamaal Charles on roids.

It'd be interesting to see how they'd use him if Peterson wasn't there his whole career, I think it'd be like how the Saints used Reggie Bush but just a lot more effective.

And about Cam, I think his ability as a passer has been exposed so far this year. He is a special talent. You might have a case there but is he elite at doing his main job, throwing it? I'm not sure.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #22
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

He's a sketchy QB because of fundamentals like playing in the pocket and controlling the defense with his eyes, not because of his physical ability.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

playing in the pocket and controlling D with his eyes are talents for a QB, talent is what I'm talking about not how big his dick is
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #24
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

TheNaturalWR has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
no one you listed has the all around versatility of talents at such high levels

No QB is close, I dunno if you want Percy to throw the ball or something why are you listing QBs?

Megatron- Better physical specimen, better hands. Percy is faster, and a better ball carrier. I'd list Megatron as a top 2 talent so I would take him over Harvin but just saying.

AJ- This one is close but I'd take Harvin because of versatility.

AJ Green- Yeah I'd list him top 2 with Calvin I think.

I find it hard to compare him to defensive players

no RB has what percy has as far as being so good in every area imo

etc etc can compare for days

Take off your homer glasses. EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE would take a top 10 receiver and top 5 back over Percy. If they don't, they're just flat out retarded. Versatility is overrated. Darren Sproles lead the league in all-purpose yardage last year but honestly nobody gave a ****. Faster than Megatron? No, he isn't. Percy is mediocre as a receiver, plain and simple. He's nothing more than a slot receiver and will NEVER be a #1 receiver which is sad considering that's his primary position.

Versatility doesn't even compare to how much more effective it is to have a dominant receiver or dominant running back. A player who's not even top 20 at his position is a top 3 talent in the NFL? You're delusional.
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
What's not sensible about it? He plays WR like 90-95 percent of the time, so he should therefor be judged a great deal on how well he plays that position.

He gets 2-3 carries a game and returns kicks.

His rushing contributions are almost not even worth mentioning. Matt Ryan has almost as many yards as he does this year.

You know nothing about Percy.

Percy Harvin is the most VERSATILE player in the NFL. Top 3 talent isnt far off. Amazing in the slot, can be played at back, lined up as a wideout too. Let's not forget his threat on special teams. He's always making huge plays.

Last edited by stallionaire : 10-13-2012 at 12:38 AM.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #26
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
K I thought of a good comparison for Percy.

As a running back he's like Jamaal Charles, but with the trucking ability of Demarco Murray. As a receiver he's like Mike Wallace but once he catches it he's alot better because of what I said previously, he transforms into Jamaal Charles on roids..

These guys don't watch Vikes games.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #27
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

http://progators.blogs.gatorsports.c...in-4th-season/

Christian Ponder on Percy: he might be the best player in the NFL right now.

Leads league in YAC by 100+, best kickoff return average, leads NFL in catches.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #28
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster

Calling Percy a top 3 WR/talent isn't that big of a stretch, however trying to quantify something like that is a complete stretch and downright silly. The guy is extremely gifted and as previously noted very versatile. He has had elite level production this year and he'll continue to. He's a fantastic football player that's truly dynamic, I can't even imagine what the Vikings offense would look like without him.

Comparing him to other players and positions is ridiculous. Skywalker suggesting he's Jamaal Charles on roids with the ball in his hands is cringe worthy. Hold off on the player comparisons and stop taking away from the fact he is one of the best talent/players in football.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #29
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

Quote:
Harvin leads the NFL in all-purpose yards (814) heading into Week 6. The fourth-year pro is projected to finish with about 2,605 all-purpose yards this season. If he does, there will be no other player in NFL history to record that many yards at a younger age than the 24-year-old. In fact, Harvin is on pace to rack up about 271 more yards than his closest competition, the St. Louis Rams’ Steven Jackson, who recorded an NFL-best 2,334 all-purpose yards in 2006 at age 23.

Read this retards.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #30
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

He's not a top 10 wideout in the league. You have to judge him by the position he plays 90-95 percent of the time. I don't care if they don't use him like Calvin Johnson out there, he's still doing wide receiver stuff like catching multipe screens a game thus why his YAC and yards per catch are so high/low.

His kickoff return ability makes him more valuable and thus have a good argument for cracking the top 10 wideouts if you talk about overall value.

His rushing is literally not even worth mentioning. We don't mention Matt Ryan and his 50 some yards rushing, so why would we care about Percy and his 60 yards on the year?

He's a good wideout and great return man. That's what he is.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: