Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Ever feel like you need a religion?

Sometimes i feel like adopting a religion. Not sure what, but something to follow with rituals (or frequent practices) and a community. I can't imagine myself a christian or catholic, and many others i'm not sure of either, but i still get this inner urge to pray to something, but since i don't really believe in any particular higher being (other than energy), i just feel stuck in a void until the feeling goes away. I really can't explain it.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation
Default Re: Ever feel like you need a religion?

Yes. I feel like maybe I should just become a Rastafarian since I could never truly get behind any of the major religions; however i'd like to talk to God through some sort of religious ideology. Not that I can't on my own, but since I believe in God but find all the other religions stupid, might just have to be a rasta
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nobody needs a religion.

But as people grow they and ask themselves a few questions, they absolutely need these to become "self-actualized" so to speak

- A sense of community. Your loved ones and the ones you interact with fo rmutual trade, your most fulfilling relationships.. the 150 or so people that have the mos timpact towards you and vice versa.
- A clear-cut purpose and identity. Who you are and what you do.
- Something to die for. What you stand for.
- Something to believe in. What you hold in higher esteem than yourself.
- A Code of honor. Again what you stand for.
- A certain outlook on life (your framework behind how the world works more or less) What you know and the application of what you know.

It just so happens that the monotheistic religions (from my understanding) cover all of these extensively.

But you can just as well,
be a hero in your neck of the woods, live wholly completely, find someone or some idea to die for, believe in whatever you want be it nihilism, communism, or clear cut empiricism logic, an assortment of principles that are negotiable and guide you, and certain epiphanies on life, civilization, human nature, society, the hows and the whys.

Otherwise you feel lost.. like a boy or a woman.

I don't know about you guys, but I've tried the route of denying everything and living in a purely Machiavellian sense + an ego death and just adjusting/adapting to whatever comes my way with no sense of self.

It feels.. hollow not having an ego. But at the same time you can't be phased.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

are you sure there aren't other problems you are avoiding? joining a religion just to partake in their rituals seems more like self-medicating rather than a sincere religious calling.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If it's a ritual you want.. consider..
Sufi Whirling Dervish
Native American Rain Dance
Osho Meditation
Baptist Weddings
Bar Mitzvahs
Sharing old folktales by a campfire

You don't NEED to partake in that exact thing, but understand what it is. It's togetherness, celebration, a big leap towards progressing as a human, connection with spirit and nature, and honoring of traditions. Some of my fondest memories as a human being were losing control and dancing with a bunch of 3rd world barbarians (serious) Something that is very routed in the human soul. If you can somehow comebine these ingredients and compromise then I'm sure you'll feel a sense of satisfaction.

Prayer is wishful thinking + meditation + submission to God.

If you don't believe in something..
consider Transcendental Meditation (Russell Brand and Katy Perry partake in this) It combines breathing techniques with a certain mode of thinking to get you into a trance-like state, and from there you can actualize the intent on whatever you wish.

Either way, just don't convert yourself as a half-assed human being. We have enough lousy Muslims and Christians frolicking about. Too many scoundrels and not enough people who really want to learn the ins and outs of their Holy Scriptures and practice their rites with (complete devotion which is supposed to result in peace), and wish well upon their neighbor via agape love.

Stick to a lack of a belief. It'll serve you better in the long run.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
are you sure there aren't other problems you are avoiding? joining a religion just to partake in their rituals seems more like self-medicating rather than a sincere religious calling.

I don't think so. I've had these feelings for a long time now, the feeling of wanting to believe in something more than we all come from the same source (about the only belief i have in this area is that we all come from one energy source and return there and get recycled), something along the lines of a god, an example being. I like that muslims pray multiple times a day, something about it feels like it gives one purpose and structure. Of course i could create my own practices, but it feels like i live in a state of spontaneous nature or randomness. Like everything that happens only happens because it just did, not for any greater purpose. It feels hollow (which i guess is what JM was referring to).

The feeling has come and gone for years but i always ignore it because i'm spent a lot of my life opposing most religion and their ideas, so when i feel like being apart of one, it feels like i'm fighting with myself.

Last edited by Loneshot : 10-14-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just start your own cult, gather up some followers, go out into the desert, eat some shrooms and record whatever you see in a book, then maybe a thousand years from now your drug induced ramblings will be the eternal truth that millions follow. Worst case scenario- you have a band of willing killers like Charles Manson did.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
If it's a ritual you want.. consider..
Sufi Whirling Dervish
Native American Rain Dance
Osho Meditation
Baptist Weddings
Bar Mitzvahs
Sharing old folktales by a campfire

You don't NEED to partake in that exact thing, but understand what it is. It's togetherness, celebration, a big leap towards progressing as a human, connection with spirit and nature, and honoring of traditions. Some of my fondest memories as a human being were losing control and dancing with a bunch of 3rd world barbarians (serious) Something that is very routed in the human soul. If you can somehow comebine these ingredients and compromise then I'm sure you'll feel a sense of satisfaction.

Prayer is wishful thinking + meditation + submission to God.

If you don't believe in something..
consider Transcendental Meditation (Russell Brand and Katy Perry partake in this) It combines breathing techniques with a certain mode of thinking to get you into a trance-like state, and from there you can actualize the intent on whatever you wish.

Either way, just don't convert yourself as a half-assed human being. We have enough lousy Muslims and Christians frolicking about. Too many scoundrels and not enough people who really want to learn the ins and outs of their Holy Scriptures and practice their rites with (complete devotion which is supposed to result in peace), and wish well upon their neighbor via agape love.

Stick to a lack of a belief. It'll serve you better in the long run.

Thanks, i'll definitely look into those. And no, i won't just jump on a bandwagon. This feeling comes to wanting something to be dedicated to, something to put my all in outside of working to eat and live. Not that i take eating and living for granted, but i'm feeling like i could do greater things with my time.

Last edited by Loneshot : 10-14-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Sometimes i feel like adopting a religion. Not sure what, but something to follow with rituals (or frequent practices) and a community. I can't imagine myself a christian or catholic, and many others i'm not sure of either, but i still get this inner urge to pray to something, but since i don't really believe in any particular higher being (other than energy), i just feel stuck in a void until the feeling goes away. I really can't explain it.

Hope you find what you're looking for...

Glad to hear you've acknowledged your desire to pray...

Here's my suggestion:

In a loud audible voice: ask Jesus if he is real... He'll answer that prayer (in time).

The problem with most people today (and sometimes myself included)...
Is that we all want proof... just as Doubting Thomas did.

Quote:
A Doubting Thomas is someone who will refuse to believe something without direct, physical, personal evidence; in other words, a skeptic.

Quote:
The term is based on the Biblical account of Thomas the Apostle, a disciple of Jesus who doubted Jesus' resurrection and demanded to feel Jesus' wounds before being convinced (John 20:24-29). After seeing Jesus alive and being offered the opportunity to touch his wounds, according to the author of the Gospel of John, Thomas then professed his faith in Jesus. For this reason he is also called Thomas the Believer. The Biblical account then reports that Jesus said, "Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." This account of Thomas does not appear in the three synoptic Gospels.

I'm a doubting Thomas when it comes to the Bible... but I don't have many doubts about the resurrection of Christ.

The Gospel means "Good News".
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just feel better every time I pray.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
maybeshewill13
**** u Perkins u ****

maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster

The answer to this question for half the people on the board is "Lordbe", "Prophetbe" and/or "Christbe".

Me, I don't need no invisible man to tell me how to run my life
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
Hope you find what you're looking for...

Glad to hear you've acknowledged your desire to pray...

Here's my suggestion:

In a loud audible voice: ask Jesus if he is real... He'll answer that prayer (in time).

The problem with most people today (and sometimes myself included)...
Is that we all want proof... just as Doubting Thomas did.

is doubt really such a bad thing? i would rather everyone doubt their beliefs than assert them with fervent conviction.

why does he have to ask if jesus is real? why not krishna? or allah? what delineating piece of reasoning or evidence can you produce that makes that question more worthy than any other? believers of those other religious figures will also say that the prayer will be answered (in some way). and if the prayer is answered would that mean you are wrong? or that confirmation bias happens? the point being that even if the prayer is answered, is it really answered?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
is doubt really such a bad thing? i would rather everyone doubt their beliefs than assert them with fervent conviction.

"Doubt is part of all religion. All the religious thinkers were doubters. Any belief worth having must survive doubt" ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Remember, Jesus did not condemn Thomas for his "Doubt," he offered himself up as proof to him. Doubt is proof of Faith, in many cases. By questioning your own belief, you are affirming your humanity. You are affirming the foundation of your own beliefs. Most of all, doubt forces us to make sure in the accuracy of the who, what, and why of our path. When you do not doubt, you lose the ability to identify your own fallibility.

No... doubt is not a bad thing.

Quote:
why does he have to ask if jesus is real? why not krishna? or allah?
what delineating piece of reasoning or evidence can you produce that makes that question more worthy than any other?

Well... I'm going off of Howard Storm's testimony...

He lived his life as a Atheist, and had a Near Death Experience.

He recommends people to ask Jesus if he is real...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWYddjpPFu8
(Howard Storm) Amazing testimony!

Start at the 9:00 minute mark

(but you should really watch the entire video)
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

"Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Yeah, it's probably because you need a religion.

Go get one. I felt like that my whole life, and then one day, I was like, wait a minute. Maybe I should actually act on this really deep feeling of mine. Maybe all of human history being colored by religious feeling and activity isn't some aberrational species-wide mistake. Maybe it's actually a good idea, if done right. So I did.

Why can't you imagine yourself a Christian or a Catholic? Is it because every Christian you know is a retard and it seems incredibly cultish and stupid? That's a pretty common reason. I can't say it's not justified. But just like everything else, 98% of people who are into it suck at it. Don't let that stop you. It doesn't necessarily mean the thing itself isn't a worthwhile lifestyle.

Is it because you can't imagine yourself believing the historical narrative? Who cares? A religion is something you live, not something you think. It's this weird double-mind thing for me. I'm becoming Catholic, but I don't actually believe any of it to be literally true. I just think adhering to a religious lifestyle is a really good idea. And the ideas and the actions go hand in hand. So believing all the stuff I'm supposed to believe is something I work on, "pray about." Struggling with belief is common to all members of any religion. They just ultimately strive to attain it, and often do.

There are a lot of complex reasons why believing the Christian historical narrative (the Incarnation, not all the claims - many of them very dubious - they make about the Church's impact on history, good or bad) is really healthy and vitally human and will enrich how you look at the world. Just try it for a month. Find a Christian you know who seems reasonable (they exist) and have him sponsor you. You may be surprised the things you can assimilate.

Or you can do what I did and meet a girl who's Catholic and just have it be much easier than any alternative. (That isn't my primary motivation, but if it weren't for that I probably wouldn't bother.)

Also: Please don't listen to anything anyone who's Christian says if it sounds like airy nonsense to you. They all sound like loons, and do terrible discredit to a really good thing. For Catholicism at least, there are a few prominent guys who have balls and a brain, and they're what won me over. Check out a book by GK Chesterton, or check out Father Barron on YouTube.

Last edited by Clifton : 10-14-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: