I would only support cuts to entitlements if conservatives have to give up stuff they care about too.
Raise taxes, cut defense, cut farm subsidies, cut oil subsidies and tax big oil companies and coal companies for extracting our natural resources as well or its not fair.
If it is done fairly, I think it would be in our long term interest to pay down our national debt and reduce the amount of money we pay as interest on the debt. All of that money being paid as interest is a complete waste.
I am personally a fan of Keynesian economics under normal conditions, but the current US debt is huge I have seen numbers as high as $16 billion, which is about 100% of GDP. This greatly concerns me and I wouldn't object to some action that takes this number down a bit before trying a stimulus.
I know a lot of people are going to argue that Keynesian principles is what dug us out of the great depression, but WWII had a big impact on stimulating the economy and helping achieve full employment. I fear continued spending that doesnt stimulate growth.
As a conservative you dont have to worry about this one, Every indication is Obama will be elected to a second term (national polls dont matter, Presidents are elected via electoral votes not popular vote. A break down of the states shows that Obama is overwhelmingly likely to win reelection.) and that he will agree to some version of the grand bargain in order to avoid sequestration.
Obama and Boehner already reached an agreement last time to raise the debt celling. The deal would have cut $4 for ever $1 of revenue increases. To quote Boehner "I got 98% of what I wanted."
The grand bargain was also based largely on the Simpson-Bowles commission that Obama appointed and recommended cutting entitlements and lowering Corporate taxes while increasing personal taxes on the rich and middle class. The only reason Obama and Boehner didnt follow through on their agreement was because the Tea Party and other extreme conservatives wouldnt allow Boehner to accept a deal that gave them 98% of what they wanted, because they wanted the other 2% as well.
The Obama administration was prepared to touch the 3rd rail of American politics and abandon core principles of the democratic party Fortunately for liberals/progressives (not democrats) Boehner is so weak he couldnt even carry his caucus, and had to pretend that he didnt want the deal after gloating that he had gotten basically everything he wanted.
Anyways the news from Washington is that responsible party leaders among the repubs have come to their senses and realize what a victory the grand bargain is for them. I believe obama will offer up the grand bargain again, and this time the repubs are going to take it.
So if you want to see cuts in entitlements don't worry its happening.
You have people that have lived through entitlements for generations now. You have people that take entitlements and buy alcohol and drugs with it. You can't just hand out money to people that are irresponsible. Perhaps a probation period. But something needs to be done about that.