Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #31
bmulls
Great college starter

Default Re: Should the government cut entitlements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Tell me more CEO.

You do know Exxon has one of the smallest profit margins right? They make a lot of money but they spend/taxed a lot. Don't be fooled.

You act like it's a sin to make money. That's what a business does dude.

They actually have one of the largest profit margins, if not THE largest.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/26/news...ofit/index.htm

But regardless we need to get off of our dependence on oil.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #32
bmulls
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
LOL you people are all brainwashed. Look at the statistics at how much we spent on the military/invasions of other nations. And you want to take away money from people who actually need it?

Let's chop the military in half. And no more invasions of countries. We'll have all the money we'll ever need.

And you're naive as fck. You think the US has a big military cuz we like swinging our ***** around for no reason? That we could just cut the military in half and remain a world super power? Our military strength is the primary reason we are an economic superpower. Your liberal fantasy land is nothing like the real world son.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Tell me more CEO.

You do know Exxon has one of the smallest profit margins right? They make a lot of money but they spend/taxed a lot. Don't be fooled.

You act like it's a sin to make money. That's what a business does dude.

I don't think it is a sin at all. Explain to me why they need these tax breaks then Genius. You want cuts for other things, but not for companies raking in billions? Exxon had a profit of $41.1 billion last year. link Why don't you amaze the class and explain how they need these tax breaks to survive or keep from raising prices.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Even thou the vast majority of Americans would prefer the government raise taxes on corporations and high income individuals. I think we all know that entitlements are going to be cut no matter what. The medicaid income test will be lowered, Social security will be raised to age 70, and Medicare will receive cuts on the suppliers side. The government will insist that the cuts will affect providers only, but its a safe bet that big corporations will pass on the cuts to the recipients.

Its kind of funny, Americans believe they have all this control and choice, but in reality Obama and Romney are far more similar than they are different. Both will never prosecute Wall Street executives for fraud, both will exercise global influence and dominate weaker nations, and neither will change Washington significantly. The grand bargain is coming no matter who wins. (Its going to be Obama)

Realest shit posted in this thread
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #35
Jello
Hume>Kunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
They actually have one of the largest profit margins, if not THE largest.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/26/news...ofit/index.htm

But regardless we need to get off of our dependence on oil.
12% is a large profit margin?
Actually, profit margins for the oil industry was at 6.2%, 12% for exxon.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #36
Jello
Hume>Kunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
I don't think it is a sin at all. Explain to me why they need these tax breaks then Genius. You want cuts for other things, but not for companies raking in billions? Exxon had a profit of $41.1 billion last year. link Why don't you amaze the class and explain how they need these tax breaks to survive or keep from raising prices.
Wow these guys make billions in profits when they make tenfold in revenue. It's outrageous.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #37
Droid101
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234

I'm a moderate Republican.
If you honestly think the current President is a secret Muslim, you are no longer allowed to be classified as a moderate Republican.

You are classified as a right-wing loony Teabagging idiot at that point.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #38
longhornfan1234
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
If you honestly think the current President is a secret Muslim, you are no longer allowed to be classified as a moderate Republican.

You are classified as a right-wing loony Teabagging idiot at that point.

- I believe in evolution

- I'm pro choice

- I don't believe in the death penalty

- We need more gun control

- We need to fund stem cell

- Global warming is real

Don't call me a tea bagger. I'm far from it.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #39
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:

I'm a moderate Republican. It was hard for me to read this bullshit. Contrary to modern myth, there was not a hoard of people just dying and starving before welfare. Charity and private unemployment insurance and associations like lodges all addressed the need. When welfare was created though the insurance and lodger were crowded out and charity shrank. Shit now...if welfare went away it would be a big mess.

moderate Republican

poor people will get private insurance

charity will fill in the gaps

and this fool wants to say everyone else believes in myths.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:

- I believe in evolution

- I'm pro choice

- Global warming is real

So basically, you list 6 things that EVERYONE should believe and that is enough to temper your political stance.

Believing the above should make you human, it shouldn't make you a f*cking moderate. What the hell is going on in the world?
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #41
joe
College superstar

Quote:
And you're naive as fck.You think the US has a big military cuz we like swinging our ***** around for no reason? That we could just cut the military in half and remain a world super power? Our military strength is the primary reason we are an economic superpower. Your liberal fantasy land is nothing like the real world son.

No, our military strength HURTS our economic status. If we spent 10x less on the military, all the better for our economy.

Every dollar the government spends on military, is one dollar that can not be spent in the private economy. It can't be saved, invested, or spent.

Besides dollar resources, human resources like scientists and young men are sucked into this wasteful military institution. They could be designing the next great car or the next revolutionary cooking tool.

It'd be one thing if they were simply removed from the economy, but instead they're actually put to DESTRUCTIVE use- killing mostly innocent people overseas just trying to live their life. Shameful.

The military is the biggest problem I have with the federal budget. Every single dollar we spend on war/foreign occupation should be cut tomorrow.
joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #42
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor

What's wrong with a tax break? Why don't you amaze the class and explain how Washington DC deserves even more money from its citizens, when its proven itself to be a financially irresponsible joke? The government collects 2.3 trillion dollars in taxes, is that not enough?

Why is it called a tax "break?" The term itself has a government bias. In other words, the government OWNS all of your money. Anything they let you keep is a "break." Any time you purposefully lower your taxes, you are "cheating." Because as we all know, that's the governments money, not yours.
joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #43
Droid101
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

- I believe in evolution

- I'm pro choice

- Global warming is real

Then what the **** are you voting republican for? They are against every single thing you list there.

Seriously, I think they have pulled the wool over your eyes. Perhaps you're not a Democrat, but you should really look into voting Libertarian, which seems to match your views perfectly.

Please go read about Gary Johnson, stat: http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/front

In fact, I think we need everyone to find out where they really stand. I'm making a new thread. http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278690

Go find out who you really side with.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #44
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
And you're naive as fck. You think the US has a big military cuz we like swinging our ***** around for no reason? That we could just cut the military in half and remain a world super power? Our military strength is the primary reason we are an economic superpower. Your liberal fantasy land is nothing like the real world son.

i agree that our military needs to stay strong, even if nation power is judged by who has nukes and who doesn't these days. when we move battle ships and cruisers into territories with disputes it sends a clear message, and nations have to back off. nobody is realistically going to use nukes unless its a very last resort in desperation. military might is just as important as economic power, if not more arguably. we just need to stop occupying and nation building, and start bombing/droning governments that want to take advantage of our weak economy, and anti war sentiment. that said they should cut some from military spending, just not too much.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #45
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Wow these guys make billions in profits when they make tenfold in revenue. It's outrageous.

Explain to me why they need the tax breaks when they are a profitable business that would not hurt without them. I hope you don't describe yourself as a fiscal conservative.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: