Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
BMOGEFan
Banned

BMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputationBMOGEFan has a bad reputation
Default Would Gangnam exist from 1992-1996

I think gangnam is a load of crap...only in this generation would it be part of a popular culture.
BMOGEFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Would Gangnam exist from 1992-1996

well Youtube wouldn't exist so probably not

why you hatin'?
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
GreatGreg
College star

GreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
I think gangnam is a load of crap...only in this generation would it be part of a popular culture.
Fuck off.

Gangnam style>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Macarena
GreatGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

I think Gangnam is, for quite a few reasons, a real high point of pop culture.

1. It's international

2. It's viral

3. It's creative

4. It's earnest

5. It's fun

I think it's a good glimpse at the future of pop culture, art, and for that matter all innovation. It's not going to be some network or record exec deciding what's popular... we will. And we will do with it whatever we will. Make parodies, play with it, enhance it.

And it won't be about patents and copyrights and lobbies and corporations. It will be whoever's out there who's got it in them to innovate, who does it because he wants to put something out there.

I think it's really cool.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg
Fuck off.

Gangnam style>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Macarena

This
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
ace23

ace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputation

The fck is Gangnam?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The macarena existed. the only difference is that this might not have gotten the exposure because it is korean. but if gangnam came out in the US or maybe even a european country it still would have been pretty big.

there is something to be said about the post pop-culture ironic tone of the video though. people seem to be enthralled in the gimmicky and slightly kitsch right now. while it is fun to look at the world less seriously i am starting to get bored of it. memes and harping back to how great batman or ninja turtles were is getting kind of old. and gangnam style does have a certain element of that in it. so it might not have been AS big in the 90s because it'd be competing against more serious or darker musical ideas such as grunge, alternative rock, gangster rap, and metal.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

Well I really hope this isn't the future of music

This kind of stuff that is all flash / no substance always gets a bunch of play from idiots who just follow trends. He's just a korean soulja-boi as far as i'm concerned. Its not something anyone will ever have on a personal playlist to listen to by themselves; its kinda just like a big joke and will probably be regarded that way historically [see vh1 one-hit wonders countdowns (vanilla ice and shyt)]
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
I think Gangnam is, for quite a few reasons, a real high point of pop culture.

1. It's international

2. It's viral

3. It's creative

4. It's earnest

5. It's fun

I think it's a good glimpse at the future of pop culture, art, and for that matter all innovation. It's not going to be some network or record exec deciding what's popular... we will. And we will do with it whatever we will. Make parodies, play with it, enhance it.

And it won't be about patents and copyrights and lobbies and corporations. It will be whoever's out there who's got it in them to innovate, who does it because he wants to put something out there.

I think it's really cool.
Unexpectedly good post.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

What is gangnam, like gangster music or some shit?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOGEFan

why wouldn't it?

Only arguments I can see for it not existing are due to its geography and dub step was still infant if invented at all.

If you're referring to a trendy dance, then yes.

We can go back from the earliest times in music history and we have examples of fads that were popular.

Anybody remember 'The Monster Mash'? 'YMCA'? 'Who Let the Dogs Out'? 'Macarena'? 'I'm too sexy'? and sadly, many… many… many more. We saw one of these almost every other year.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've been to the Gangnam district of Seoul and a lot of the architecture led me to believe that existed from 1992-1996.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy

n00bie is considered somewhat cooln00bie is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
I've been to the Gangnam district of Seoul and a lot of the architecture led me to believe that existed from 1992-1996.

I agree. Has been around for awhile.
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
ballup
Fool Disguised Genius

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Only in Korea. It's pretty catchy and the MV is pretty absurd. It would be harder for it to grow because it's not really a ballard, but if MMMBop by Hanson could be somewhat popular back then, I don't see why Gangnam style can't.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Clifton
talk less, say more

Clifton is considered somewhat coolClifton is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Well I really hope this isn't the future of music

This kind of stuff that is all flash / no substance always gets a bunch of play from idiots who just follow trends. He's just a korean soulja-boi as far as i'm concerned.
Well, don't just judge the whole thing off of one music video. The guy who made it is in fact very talented - as a live performer. Friends who have lived in Korea have told me this.

How many good live performers - at the stadium-crowd level - are there in popular music these days?

He's a lot of fun and he gets people going and he isn't weirdly evil like Lady Gaga or something. I'm a fan. I think he's great. Not everyone has to be Bob Dylan.
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: