Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Who here is afraid of heights? (Crazy vid, hypothetical scenario discussion!)

This question is for people with any varying degree of fear of heights - if somebody said you could win 1 billion U.S. dollars no catch 100% guaranteed if you did exactly what these workers are doing in the video (with only the equipment they have) - and just 1 week to prepare for it (training, safety / technique / practice runs) - would you do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_h2AjJaMw

I personally am afraid of heights to a certain extent - I'm not afraid to go on any ladder or say, climb a tree less than 15 feet but beyond 20 feet I start to get nervous, and when I climb to the tops of 80 and 100 foot firetowers and such to say I am not full of adrenaline and nervous when I'm doing it would be a lie. For 1 billion dollars as a prize, I would lose sleep over this all week and would probably have a massive panic attack / heart attack once I got off the elevator of that thing upon preparing to climb but I think i'd give it a shot lol

If that deal wouldn't get you to climb it, or if it is overkill, what would it take to get you to carry a bucket of dangling tools up that radio tower w/o any personal safety ropes to replace the lightbulb at the very top?

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-14-2012 at 09:58 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Who here is afraid of heights? (Crazy vid, hypothetical scenario discussion!)

For a billion hell yeah I'd do it. With all the regulations and stuff in the US there's no way it's really that dangerous. Obviously riskier than sitting at a desk, but it's not like you got a 50/50 shot of dying lol.

Still a scary job, I get seriously nervous just watching that
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Who here is afraid of heights? (Crazy vid, hypothetical scenario discussion!)

I'm scared shitless of heights but for a billion, I'd do it
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I wouldn't do it but if I fell at least it would be a long way(not really) to the bottom which would allow for a good time to ponder over my life. Best way to suicide.
just kidding
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
EnoughSaid
#COYG

EnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this boardEnoughSaid is popular on this board

I'm scared of heights, but I go on those 300+ rides at the amusement parks and what not. If I had guaranteed protection and a parachute on my back, yeah I'd do it.
EnoughSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd suck a dick at the top of that tower for $100,000.
The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

id do it without the safety equipment
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation here

I was scared shitless watching that vid, but for a billion dollars? Yeah Definitely!

Sometimes in life you gotta take a chance!

Or like Sourpatch said, if you hate your life, may as well go for it. You make it, win a bill, turn your life around. If You fail, you commit suicide and end your miserable life. Win win.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
I'm scared of heights, but I go on those 300+ rides at the amusement parks and what not. If I had guaranteed protection and a parachute on my back, yeah I'd do it.
okay - with safety gear i'd probably attempt it for less than 100,000 dollars let alone 1 billion - but how bout the scenario of the OP? (far more life endangering);

Nothing but the equipment they used in the video... ; free climbing, no ropes or safety harnesses - nothing but a hard hat on your head and construction gloves, and a waist clip to clip onto something if you want to take a stationary rest, and you have to lug that 30lb bucket of swaying tools dangling below your feet to the top because your job is to change the light bulb once up there
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
Cherry Picker
I shoot 85 %

Cherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputationCherry Picker has a terrific reputation

Nah **** that
Got nervous just watching the vid
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

I just want to go on the record as saying although i'd attempt it for 1 billion, i'd say there's only a 50/50 chance I follow through and complete the task

50% chance I complete it

45% chance I'm killed in the process

5% chance I pass out and am rendered unable to continue (may also lead to my death)

Honestly I just don't see how I could get past the feeling of vertigo, and if you get vertigo and have no safety ropes or harnesses your F*CKED... vertigo ****s up your balance and u can't climb that damn thing without sound balance
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

with safety gear, a new car might be enough but im not afraid of heights. now if that we are talking roller coasters, then id have a a problem
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipogb
with safety gear, a new car might be enough but im not afraid of heights. now if that we are talking roller coasters, then id have a a problem
So even for a new car you wouldn't ride a rollercoaster? What would it take to get you to go on a rollercoaster?

I'm somewhat afraid of rollercoasters too, but hell... for a used car i'd probably ride any rollercoaster ever made... and i'd be sure it was filmed so i could upload my hilarious terrified reaction - the one thing about rollercoasters is no matter how scary I at least know they are safe - free climbing a 1,700 foot tower no thicker than your leg with no ropes or safety gear doesn't appear to be safe to me knowing that I get vertigo so that's why it would take an outragious amount of value for me to attempt it, it's basically how much do I think my life is worth
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
So even for a new car you wouldn't ride a rollercoaster? What would it take to get you to go on a rollercoaster?

I'm somewhat afraid of rollercoasters too, but hell... for a used car i'd probably ride any rollercoaster ever made... and i'd be sure it was filmed so i could upload my hilarious terrified reaction - the one thing about rollercoasters is no matter how scary I at least know they are safe - free climbing a 1,700 foot tower no thicker than your leg with no ropes or safety gear doesn't appear to be safe to me knowing that I get vertigo so that's why it would take an outragious amount of value for me to attempt it, it's basically how much do I think my life is worth

it would take a slow coaster, lol.
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipogb
it would take a slow coaster, lol.
Give a cash value of riding say: the Top Thrill Dragster or Millennium Force at Cedar Point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZtg9teFusk

http://youtu.be/3D2PktFecok

how much $$$ are we talkin?

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-15-2012 at 01:12 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: