Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,838
StateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Rank these 3 players peak from best to worst between Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen.

I suspect the peak years of the three are...1997 for Hill, 1996 for Penny, and 1994 for Pippen.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
scm5
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,964
scm5 has decent reputation
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Pippen.

He put up nearly identical numbers to Hill but played much better overall D.

Penny to me, isn't really in the comparison. Lesser numbers, D wasn't as good.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
pauk
NBA Legend
 
pauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,355
pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

1. Grant Hill (come on now, he was on his way to maybe be the Lebron before Lebron, i remember Jordan comparing his game to him in 1999 where grant averaged 26-7-5 and saying he passed the torch to him and so on, he was only getting better, then the injury happened)

2. Scottie Pippen

3. Penny Hardaway


But i was more of a Penny fan, one of the smoothest/fluid games i ever seen and playing PG at 6'7 made it even sexier...

When i think about it all these players were pretty damn similar, athletic point-forwards that could do everything...

Last edited by pauk : 10-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
dyna
National High School Star
 
dyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MI CASA
Posts: 2,070
dyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation heredyna has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

1) Hill
2) Pippen
3) Hardaway
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Cali Syndicate
Decent college freshman
 
Cali Syndicate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,925
Cali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputationCali Syndicate has a terrific reputation
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
Pippen.

He put up nearly identical numbers to Hill but played much better overall D.

Penny to me, isn't really in the comparison. Lesser numbers, D wasn't as good.

Penny was the better most polished scorer of the three though. Had he played his natural position and the team relied more on his scoring instead of his facilitating, his numbers would be marginally better IMO.
Cali Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
scm5
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,964
scm5 has decent reputation
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
1. Grant Hill (come on now, he was on his way to maybe be the Lebron before Lebron, i remember Jordan comparing his game to him in 1999 where grant averaged 26-7-5 and saying he passed the torch to him and so on, he was only getting better, then the injury happened)

2. Scottie Pippen

3. Penny Hardaway


But i was more of a Penny fan, one of the smoothest/fluid games i ever seen and playing PG at 6'7 made it even sexier...

When i think about it all these players were pretty damn similar, athletic point-forwards that could do everything...

Hill:

21/9/7 on 50% shooting 1.8spg .6bpg in 97'
26/7/5 on 49% shooting 1.6spg .6bpg in 00'

Pippen:

21/8/7 on 51% shooting 1.9spg 1.1bpg in 92'.
22/9/6 on 49% shooting and 2.9spg 1.1bpg in 97'

Those were their two best years for each players, in my opinion... and they are all very close. I would give the nod to Pippen because of his dominance on the defensive end of the floor.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year
 
tmacattack33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,270
tmacattack33 has not been impressing people
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
Pippen.

He put up nearly identical numbers to Hill but played much better overall D.

Penny to me, isn't really in the comparison. Lesser numbers, D wasn't as good.

Apparently efficiency doesn't matter to you in terms of numbers. Penny's FG% and TS% were threw the roof.
They were second only to MJ (yup, better than Wade, C. Paul, Deron...and of course the less efficient guys like T-mac, Carter, etc). The only people to meet that level since are Lebron and Durant.

He also had more assists per game than Grant Hill, yet one less turnover per game. Regardless, he was clearly a better passer than Hill was.

Defensively, Hill wasn't that great...he's actually been a better defender during his Phoenix resurrection than his prime days.

In 1996, Penny was 3rd in MVP voting behind MJ and Malone. And he deserved it.

Penny > Hill
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
pauk
NBA Legend
 
pauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,355
pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
Penny was the better most polished scorer of the three though. Had he played his natural position and the team relied more on his scoring instead of his facilitating, his numbers would be marginally better IMO.

Indeed, if you didnt look at the stats and only saw one game of these three players you would think Penny was a superstar (one of the top 3 players in the NBA or something)... he was much more aesthetically pleasing to watch, beautiful game, beautiful jumpshot, beautiful dribbling, beautiful scoring arsenal, could rebound and had amazing vision/passing skills (better than Grant/Pippen), flashy but efficient.... and remember his post game? People forget....

I say it again, Penny to me had the most beautiful game... silky smooth... everything was FINESSE...
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
scm5
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,964
scm5 has decent reputation
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
Apparently efficiency doesn't matter to you in terms of numbers. Penny's FG% and TS% were threw the roof.
They were second only to MJ (yup, better than Wade, C. Paul, Deron...and of course the less efficient guys like T-mac, Carter, etc). The only people to meet that level since are Lebron and Durant.

He also had more assists per game than Grant Hill, yet one less turnover per game. Regardless, he was clearly a better passer than Hill was.

Defensively, Hill wasn't that great...he's actually been a better defender during his Phoenix resurrection than his prime days.

In 1996, Penny was 3rd in MVP voting behind MJ and Malone. And he deserved it.

Penny > Hill

I posted up Hill's numbers above... here are Penny's two peak seasons:

22/4/7 on 51% FG% 2.0spg .6bpg in 96'
21/4/7 on 51% FG% 1.7spg .3bpg in 95'

In terms of scoring, Penny was the more natural scorer and scored more efficiently, but he wasn't as good as Hill.

Hill was like a mini-Lebron while Penny was like a mini-Wade.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 22,971
Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

1. Pippen
2. Hill
3. Penny

Hill would have likely had a better peak than Pippen if it weren't for injuries. Pippen's D is what kept him above hill on my list.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
scm5
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,964
scm5 has decent reputation
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Indeed, if you didnt look at the stats and only saw one game of these three players you would think Penny was a superstar (one of the top 3 players in the NBA or something)... he was much more aesthetically pleasing to watch, beautiful game, beautiful jumpshot, beautiful dribbling, beautiful scoring arsenal, could rebound and had amazing vision/passing skills (better than Grant/Pippen), flashy but efficient.... and remember his post game? People forget....

I say it again, Penny to me had the most beautiful game... silky smooth... everything was FINESSE...

I agree, it isn't all about numbers. Their numbers are actually kinda close, but Hill just did more throughout the game. It's about defense as well, and while Hill and Penny were more or less on the same level defensively, Pippen was on another level.

Pippen's defense, plus putting up numbers that are arguably greater than Hill and Penny's is ridiculous.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
scm5
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,964
scm5 has decent reputation
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
1. Pippen
2. Hill
3. Penny

Hill would have likely had a better peak than Pippen if it weren't for injuries. Pippen's D is what kept him above hill on my list.

The thing is, we're just talking about peaks. Peak play, Pippen was better. Hill was more consistently good, and put up better numbers than Pippen overall, when he was healthy. Enough to cover the gap defensively.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year
 
tmacattack33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,270
tmacattack33 has not been impressing people
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
I posted up Hill's numbers above... here are Penny's two peak seasons:

22/4/7 on 51% FG% 2.0spg .6bpg in 96'
21/4/7 on 51% FG% 1.7spg .3bpg in 95'

In terms of scoring, Penny was the more natural scorer and scored more efficiently, but he wasn't as good as Hill.

Hill was like a mini-Lebron while Penny was like a mini-Wade.

Wade's passing is closer to Hill's. Lebron and Penny's vision and passing are closer. (Penny was also a much better shooter than Wade, so that comparison is off). Lebron himself said that he'd compare himself to Penny and Magic.

As for the stats...

96 Penny: 21.7 pts on .605 TS%, 4.3 reb, 7.1 assists, 2.8 turnovers

99 Hill: 25.8 pts, .565 TS%, 6.6 reb, 5.4 assists, 3.2 turnovers


Basically an even stat line. And to me, from watching the games, Penny was a better scorer and on another level in terms of passing.




Biggest argument on Penny's behalf...was what he did without Shaq for 30 games in 1996. This was also what helped him come 3rd in MVP voting:

In the first part of the season (a 22 game span) without Shaq in 1996: Penny stats: 26.3 ppg, .622 TS% (there is no other way to describe this than purely amazing), 6.8 assists/3.2 turnovers, 5.3 reb
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Clippersfan86
Banned
 
Clippersfan86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,737
Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Penny clearly doesn't fit in with how short his prime is. Hill+Pippen are evenly matched and debatable. VERY similar players. Hill was better score, Pippen better defender IMO.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,968
Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: At their peak - Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Scottie Pippen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
Had he played his natural position and the team relied more on his scoring instead of his facilitating, his numbers would be marginally better IMO.



This is not true. Penny Hardaway was 6'7 in high school, and played PG in high school.


Penny was a PG, in the mold of Magic Johnson, if anyone could be. Even without injuries, his stats were down when he moved to SG, including his points.



I understand they're all shorter, but Rose (who I think is a PG), Curry, and especially Westbrook are PG's, so I can't see how Hardaway's natural position is SG..not when we're talking about his actual game and not his height.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy