Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
therammingman
National High School Star

Default Any thoughts on tonight's Homeland OR Boardwalk Empire OR Dexter?

??

Biggest storyline push was obviously in Homeland. It's hard to understand how they will go from here....what their excuse will be for not giving this video to the CIA
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Default Re: Any thoughts on tonight's Homeland OR Boardwalk Empire OR Dexter?

Homeland is the best thing on TV at the moment. Its the only show i can think of out of Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Dexter, and Boardwalk Empire that doesn't have an insanely annoying character that makes you want to stop watching if they don't die or get put in their place. Claire Danes character "Carrie" can be annoying at times, but its easy to sympathize with her over the top craziness...because she is actually crazy.

They will give the video to the CIA, he just wanted Carrie to see it first so she stops beating herself to death about how wrong she thought she was. I doubt there will be any issue about Saul not going straight to HQ with it (since he won't say he didn't).

I actually like Nick Brody, so the show has done a great job not making anyone look like the clear cut bad or good guy.

As far as Dexter and Boardwalk go, they were alright, decent enough. Gyp Rosetti is the best character on that show this season. So many classic lines already; the one about guns was great, but my favorite is: "Nothing's personal? What the **** is life, if it's not personal?!" lol

Last edited by Loneshot : 10-15-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
therammingman
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Homeland is the best thing on TV at the moment. Its the only show i can think of out of Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Dexter, and Boardwalk Empire that doesn't have an insanely annoying character that makes you want to stop watching if they don't die or get put in their place. Claire Danes character "Carrie" can be annoying at times, but its easy to sympathize with her over the top craziness...because she is actually crazy.

They will give the video to the CIA, he just wanted Carrie to see it first so she stops beating herself to death about how wrong she thought she was. I doubt there will be any issue about Saul not going straight to HQ with it (since he won't say he didn't).

I actually like Nick Brody, so the show has done a great job not making anyone look like the clear cut bad or good guy.

that's the thing. I don't think that they will take the video to the CIA....the preview of the following episode didn't show brody being arrested or anything. wouldn't you think that if the CIA saw that video they would go arrest him asap?

i'm not sure what reasonable explanation they could come up with for her and saul not to turn in the video....i just hope it doesnt jump the shark
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by therammingman
that's the thing. I don't think that they will take the video to the CIA....the preview of the following episode didn't show brody being arrested or anything. wouldn't you think that if the CIA saw that video they would go arrest him asap?

i'm not sure what reasonable explanation they could come up with for her and saul not to turn in the video....i just hope it doesnt jump the shark

I think they would want to let Brody continuing thinking he's got away with it all so that he leads them to the main terrorist dude they want (whose name escapes me). Or, something happens and they lose the video and have no proof.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

He doesn't actually say anything all that bad in the video, nothing criminal. Well, treason maybe, I don't know how military law works (like I know how civilian law does lol). But think about it, all they've got is a video where Brody says the VP and some other politicians are war criminals. He never specifically mentions the bomb vest or anything, just a vague "what I did today."

Besides, now the CIA knows (but can't prove) he got turned so they'll be all up his ass tracking him so it's not like he'd be able to do anything. So just wait for him to lead them to Nazir.

And Clair Danes is still destroying all other actresses. Was pretty ambivalent before the show but she's outstanding.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I'm saving Boardwalk for tonight, but the others I watched.

I think Dexter is heading in a good direction this year. Not season one good, but better than the recent past. In large part I think because it's focus is almost entirely on Dexter and Deb, who are by far the most fleshed out characters on the show, and the most competent, perhaps the only competent, performers on the show. I felt like Deb related too him a little quicker than I would've done as a writer, but it gets the show back on its format. I don't know if the Bull Guy is a particularly good target, but he'll do for now. The Russian Mafia led heroin ring is a nice gimmick I think. I thought the back and fourth with the nerd was going well, so seeing him eat it last night was a surprise.

Homeland was excellent. You absolutely have to suspend your sense of disbelief for this to work. It's a little rediculous, for example, that this international terrorist group, with sleeper cells tucked away in the US (which we've seen in previous episodes), finally gets a guy embedded into the US Congress, with a shot at a VP nod, and they're willing to possibly ruin that situation because they need him to give another dude a ride. They don't have anyone else for that?! They gotta use their Congressman?
Anyway, the show continues to surprise, and this is not my idea, although I don't recall where I heard it, it's not what it does that's surprising, for example, we all knew that video of Brody was going to come back to bite him in the ass at some point, it's the when that's surprising us, as in, I would've never guessed it'd surface itself at the close of episode 1 here. As was said above, what're they gonna do now?
The thing the video does is that it binds Carrie and Saul together. They are the most interesting relationship in the show. It's a pretty tight little show. It's not the expansive sprawling character web something like Boardwalk is. And it's all centered around the same thing, Brody's secret. How he keeps it from his wife, from his job, from the people who suspect him. This puts Saul and Carrie back on the same team, which makes them far more compelling. Where it goes from here I'm not sure, but it seems logical that it has to get lost somehow. Somehow someway Saul has to get pigeonholed into siding with her when no one else believes them. That makes the most dramatic sense. I just don't know how it happens. Frankly I thought that guy took it at the airport. It seemed like a convenient way to get to where I feel like their going anyway. It was just another surprise when I saw him take out the hidden one.

The Walking Dead I also felt was excellent. Far gorier and more violent than pretty much all of last season. None of the silly set pieces, like the Well scene last year. I like the jump forward in time. I feel like the entire point of a Zombie show is people on the run for survival, which is way quiet farmlife and washing clothes made so little sense last year. It was too easy for them. Watching them on the move, being aggressive, about to eat cat food, was the change of pace I felt this show was supposed to be anyway, and I liked last year more than most. Of course now they'll hunker down and be bound to this prison for a while. But I think it'll work pretty well.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

I didn't even look at the other posts because I only watched one of the three and don't want to read some spoilers.

But yeah, the one i watched (homeland) was great.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: