Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Gasol for Bargnani and Calderon...

Straight up.

Gasou is $19 and $19 for the next two years.

Calderon is (remains of) $10.5 and Bargnani is $10.5 and $11 next.

I think this probably works in salary cap. not sure if there are other arcane rules preventing it.

Lakers get Calderon to back up Nash and $10M in salary cap relief. Further they get Bargnani's expiring $11 in 2014.

Raptors get an all star at the low post.

Doesnt address need for a wing... but love to see it happen.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
00playboy00
I brick open layups

00playboy00 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Gasou for Bargnani and Calderon...

Trade Bargani and Calderon = Changing the Culture.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00playboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people
Default Re: Gasou for Bargnani and Calderon...

I think this deal makes sense for both sides except I wouldnt include Jose Id peddle someone else and I think we could get the better of the deal simply ala AA Blue Jays simply cuz Gasol makes so much money and is considered expendable. And before people start posting about how he is overpaid let me just say what do you care are you paying his salary? its about time the Raptors started spending like the big boys. We play like we pay and right now we are in the bottom half of payrolls hence bottom half of the standings.

Great post by the way I think its time BC realized what everyone else in Toronto already knows, Bargnani is not a good basketball player other then being a 7footer who has a decent pull up J and can "sometimes" hit the open 3 he sucks.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Gasol for Bargnani and Calderon...

I don't even know. Whatever.

Gasol is clearly a better player than Bargnani and would give more production than Bargs/Calderon combined. But really, it's just "spinning your wheels". Gasol won't elevate the Raptors into any legit contender. For the next two years we're going to watch a mediocre at-best team where the "core" will still be Lowry and Valanciunas.

I wouldn't want any of Calderon, Bargnani or Gasol on the Raptors next year. I'd rather they let the young guys play and if you lose, so be it. This team was never allowed to fully rebuild after Bosh.

Sure, I'd be in favour of it but it really does little to change the long-term outlook of the Raptors.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Lakers wouldn't do it. Lakers experience. I think the whole league knows how bad rebounding is with Bargnani. I wouldn't even mind just letting him go to give some time to people who are actually going to play a down low game. You can't rebound from the 3 point line.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Lakers wouldn't do it. Lakers experience. I think the whole league knows how bad rebounding is with Bargnani. I wouldn't even mind just letting him go to give some time to people who are actually going to play a down low game. You can't rebound from the 3 point line.

Mike D'Antoni would love to have Bargnani's ability to shoot from the PF spot.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

Gasol is clearly a better player than Bargnani and would give more production than Bargs/Calderon combined. But really, it's just "spinning your wheels". Gasol won't elevate the Raptors into any legit contender. For the next two years we're going to watch a mediocre at-best team where the "core" will still be Lowry and Valanciunas.

I wouldn't want any of Calderon, Bargnani or Gasol on the Raptors next year. I'd rather they let the young guys play and if you lose, so be it. This team was never allowed to fully rebuild after Bosh.

Sure, I'd be in favour of it but it really does little to change the long-term outlook of the Raptors.

This^^
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

No agreed. The deal doesnt address team needs (as I indicated) nor make them a contender. At best it moves them into the "for sure 9 - 10 - 11 mix in the east". Pgas is enough a vet to be able to play in the coaches system and excel where asked.

I was simply thinking of moves where (1) talent comes back (2) the team is not cap handicapped beyond 2 years and (3) I would think Pgas would have a positive effect on JV.

Such a move may allow the team to retain and come to terms with Ed Davis as the long term option at the 4 - perhaps.

Secondly if I am correct - you would have Pgas and Amir come due as "expiring deals" in 2014 - off the books in 2015. That amounts to about $25Million as I recon....

Setting up 2015 with a mature JV, Klow extended (please), Derozan, Ed Davis (extended please), Terrence Ross, and Acy is a nice young core. Add an impact swing man and frankly that is a team that would be very solid.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm not a big fan of Gasol or his contract and age but I'd pull the trigger on this deal if its possible. Much rather have him then Bargnani and Calderon, plus after this season he becomes a huge expiring deal.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
letshaveacorona
I airball my layups

letshaveacorona has not been impressing people

Slightly off topic but I think right now our biggest need is a STUD small forward. If I were the GM i would be offering anyone not named Lowry, DeRozan, Davis, Valanciunas for a Josh Smith or Rudy Gay level player. Smith Could possibly be had for TRoss(i like this kid), Amir, and draft picks. would have to be sure we can resign him though and thats not easy.
letshaveacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by letshaveacorona
Slightly off topic but I think right now our biggest need is a STUD small forward. If I were the GM i would be offering anyone not named Lowry, DeRozan, Davis, Valanciunas for a Josh Smith or Rudy Gay level player. Smith Could possibly be had for TRoss(i like this kid), Amir, and draft picks. would have to be sure we can resign him though and thats not easy.

It's going to be difficult to get a SF at that level since were kind of limited asset/contract wise and in order to get a player like Rudy Gay we need to hope that Memphis starts to fall apart and they want to save money by getting out from underneath his contract. Josh Smith on the other hand I think we have the assets to acquire but we won't because theres no way he resigns with us in the off season.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: