Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Well apparently the "why" on purchasing a new iPhone 5 is to take panoramic pictures that Android has been taking well over 3 years now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gNFc1otD8g

People are aware on what the iPhone is.

Does the average consumer know what the surface is? specially how to use it?

This is a new tablet, new OS, and they're promoting an accessory that is somewhat of a mystery. Yet they promote how it clicks?
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter
 
Doctor Rivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,068
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
...but what does a Surface provide other than a clickable cover?

Windows 8
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,683
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
People are aware on what the iPhone is.

Does the average consumer know what the surface is? specially how to use it?

This is a new tablet, new OS, and they're promoting an accessory that is somewhat of a mystery. Yet they promote how it clicks?

that accessory is the most important feature along with the Microsoft Surface name. it sets it apart from every other tablet.

Quote:
but what does a Surface provide other than a clickable cover?

microsoft word
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
Windows 8

Yes, but did we get that from 'this' ad?

which is why I stated that I hope they release better ads for this campaign.

They need to release an ad that shows the entire Windows 8 environment. How the Surface and a PC running Windows 8 can work seamlessly. That's something that I'm interested in knowing and eager to see. I understand that Windows 8 has touch interface inspired by the mobile experience, but how do they work together? If I'm a Windows user why should I buy this over an iPad or Nexus?
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
that accessory is the most important feature along with the Microsoft Surface name. it sets it apart from every other tablet.



microsoft word

Again…. why would I need that?

If I'm an avg consumer that doesn't follow The Verge or Ars Technica, have never heard of the Surface, why do I need that? why would I be interested in it? why would wanna chose this over others?

Naturally… I know 'of' it, I have yet to see it in action. This would've been a good time to show it off, don't you think? The iPad and I'm sure the Nexus already have a clickable cover. They don't have a clickable cover that's also a keyboard, but they didn't concentrate on this aspect in the commercial.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #21
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,683
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Again…. why would I need that?

If I'm an avg consumer that doesn't follow The Verge or Ars Technica, have never heard of the Surface, why do I need that? why would I be interested in it? why would wanna chose this over others?

Naturally… I know 'of' it, I have yet to see it in action. This would've been a good time to show it off, don't you think? The iPad and I'm sure the Nexus already have a clickable cover. They don't have a clickable cover that's also a keyboard, but they didn't concentrate on this aspect in the commercial.


This is just one commercial. It focused on clickable keyboard cover on the commerical(which is why you had businessmen using it on a bench with legs crossed and people using it on tables etc.). There will be more. What makes Surface unique right now is that it is made to be used with a clickable cover and the keyboards are distinct.

Currently On Train:

-I can tell recognize whether or not you have an IPAD. Everything else just falls into the same category of things not IPAD.

After Surface:

-I can recognize whether you have an IPAD or Surface. Everything else is just something else.

This is what the commercial means to portray imo. Surface is the only tablet that has the name and distinct look to set itself apart from the other non-IPADS.

Overall, I don't really care about the commercials. I'm just deciding on what my next gadget will be.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #22
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
This is just one commercial. It focused on clickable keyboard cover on the commerical(which is why you had businessmen using it on a bench with legs crossed and people using it on tables etc.). There will be more. What makes Surface unique right now is that it is made to be used with a clickable cover and the keyboards are distinct.

Currently On Train:

-I can tell recognize whether or not you have an IPAD. Everything else just falls into the same category of things not IPAD.

After Surface:

-I can recognize whether you have an IPAD or Surface. Everything else is just something else.

This is what the commercial means to portray imo. Surface is the only tablet that has the name and distinct look to set itself apart from the other non-IPADS.

Overall, I don't really care about the commercials. I'm just deciding on what my next gadget will be.

And that's why the commercials are important when releasing not just a new product, but one competing against an iPad.

Advertising plays a big role in educating the consumer, specially when it's a different, new product.

Like I mentioned, I understand that they'll have new ads, they just need to be better.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #23
plowking
well DENG
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 23,342
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

andgar wants a 90 minute documentary explaining all the features in a one minute advertisement. Is it too much to ask guys?
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #24
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
andgar wants a 90 minute documentary explaining all the features in a one minute advertisement. Is it too much to ask guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRnOQf8Pz94

this was the 1st iPad ad (my edit )

Remember people were doubting why we needed this? people were laughing at it? people were saying it was useless, that it was going to flop?

The commercial shows you exactly what you can do with it.

Today we take it for granted, but many people didn't know what was the point, shit, there's still people that don't understand what a tablet is needed for.

So YES you can release a commercial that gives better insight on an item.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #25
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar
 
SpecialQue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,578
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

It was a cute ad, and I like how it looks, but if Windows 8 runs like ass, then I'm not wasting my money on it.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #26
sunsfan1357
Word.
 
sunsfan1357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manteca/San Diego
Posts: 4,992
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
There's people that don't need a computer tho. Some people just need it as an alternative to do certain tasks that are more convenient to do on a tablet. Others need them as an additional tool to a computer. Then there's the specialized tablet needs for services/companies.

The tablet isn't for everybody, but there is a legit purpose for one.
This. Ever since I finished school I've found I don't really need a laptop when most of my time is spent browsing the web, listening to music, or watching movies. I have a desktop at work for work related stuff so lately I've been tempted to sell my laptop and get a tablet but I'm just skeptical on pulling the trigger since I don't know much about them in general.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #27
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted
 
bigkingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 1 NBA Championship*
Posts: 12,021
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRnOQf8Pz94

this was the 1st iPad ad (my edit )

Remember people were doubting why we needed this? people were laughing at it? people were saying it was useless, that it was going to flop?

The commercial shows you exactly what you can do with it.

Today we take it for granted, but many people didn't know what was the point, shit, there's still people that don't understand what a tablet is needed for.

So YES you can release a commercial that gives better insight on an item.

The difference is the ipad was a new product, everyone knows what a tablet does now. I don't think it'd be smart for Microsoft to show what it's capable of now, when the apps and 3rd party support is going to determine their success. This trendy commercial is much more effective, just taking a page from apple.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #28
plowking
well DENG
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 23,342
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRnOQf8Pz94

this was the 1st iPad ad (my edit )

Remember people were doubting why we needed this? people were laughing at it? people were saying it was useless, that it was going to flop?

The commercial shows you exactly what you can do with it.

Today we take it for granted, but many people didn't know what was the point, shit, there's still people that don't understand what a tablet is needed for.

So YES you can release a commercial that gives better insight on an item.

Yes, now people know what a tablet can do... Hence they don't need to do all that. They show the main new features it is bringing. They did a fantastic job of that, and the ad promotes an ease of use vibe about it. People know you can browse the web, use word processors, read books, etc. Tablets have been around long enough.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #29
shadow
Laker fan here
 
shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 2,967
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
That ad is horrible. I like the one on their website better. Although neither one tells you any specifics. Microsoft sucks at advertising.

I was excited for Surface, but it looks like the pro version won't be out for like 3 or 4 months still. Not really interested in Windows RT since I have Android devices. If I'm going to get a Windows 8 tablet its going to have a core i5 (or better) in it, not an arm processor.

Other companies are beating microsoft to the punch on real workhorse tablets than can actually replace your laptop.

Samsung:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834131398

Toshiba:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834216042

Acer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215610

All already have release dates for tablets that will be more powerful than most people's windows 7 machine.

While Windows RT is enough for most people so is a iPad, a Kindle Fire, or an Nexus 7. I don't see Microsoft having a ton of success in the low end $200 tablet sector.

I thought the same thing. That ad does suck. Apple ads are simple and tell you a lot more than this bollywood-esque over-production of an ad. And this is coming from an anti-apple, pro PC guy.
MS is basically screwing themselves over by pissing PC users off by forcing metro on the desktop, and I think they will run 3rd to andorid and apple in the tablet wars simply because they are so late to the game. I bet the first SP they release for W8 will bring back the start button to the desktop.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #30
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Yes, now people know what a tablet can do... Hence they don't need to do all that. They show the main new features it is bringing. They did a fantastic job of that, and the ad promotes an ease of use vibe about it. People know you can browse the web, use word processors, read books, etc. Tablets have been around long enough.

My main point is, if you're MS and you want to tell people why you're different, colors and a 'click' isn't the best way to go imo.

The OS is unique, try selling them on that. The OS is something that they have on a pc, show them the advantage of having both a desktop and tablet OS that are the same. If you're gonna show the foldable keyboard/magnetic cover, show the advantages of this aspect.

We got to see a very small example of the keyboard, most of the commercial focused on the magnet, which Apple already has.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy