Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Small towns or Big cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I think I definitely prefer small cities at the moment. My family moved away from Detroit when I was in elementary school and I spent a lot of years plotting my ultimate return to the area. However, as I grew older (into my 20's) I began to appreciate a more laid back culture. Now I have a friends and family in the metro Detroit area and I'm cool with visiting, but that's about it. Things are just a little too busy for me there. Traffic sucks, nature is limited, and everything seems amped up a notch.

All that said, I like having access to city life. Ann Arbor's just about perfect in that regard. My family lives on the outskirts of the city, amongst the nature and trees and whatnot but if we ever want to hit up the town, we're five miles away.

The one thing I wish small towns had more of is people my own age. That's the drawback there. Small towns usually have a lot of families and whatnot but not single folks in their 20's running about. I think that's also why I tend to like small towns that have a college of some sort in its area. Younger folks are more likely to stick around, even post-grad, in those spots.

Your the first person I have ever heard say they wanted to live in Detroit.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Your the first person I have ever heard say they wanted to live in Detroit.
I was thinking that might come off weird to some folks. And this might sound like a small detail, but I did say metro Detroit, which I more or less meant as "surrounding area". And as you've likely heard, while a bit of Detroit itself is full of blight, many of the areas directly connected to the city are actually pretty nice and affluent. I grew up in Farmington, which is a small city connected to Detroit, but still enveloped now in a general "big city connection" feel. Again, it's fun to visit, but largely too developed to draw me back in for good.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

If you've got money to burn, it's best to burn it in a city, in my opinion. There's no better place to spend your money and your twenties than in big city with bright lights.

But growing up, the last thing I'd want is to have my kids coming home late from after school activities on the subway or having to try and compete every couple of years just so you can go to the best middle or high school 45 minutes away from you.

If you're not wealthy, I mean like having net worth > $1M or so, it's tough to settle down in the city. And paying for average in the city is more expensive and less efficient (quality of life wise) than paying for average in suburb. I used to play tennis everyday for free, now I pay $15 per hour per person, my friend and I drop $60 each time. And that's not including the cab fare for getting to the courts.

For the average American, a city should be a temporary growing point to kick off your career in your 20s, much like spending time in college.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
red1
Dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininTwos
Suburbs in a big city ftw
this right hurr
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
lefthook00
College star

Big city with a MOUNTAIN in the middle of it, and connected to a BEACH. I love LA.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I lived in small towns most of my life, and I'm in a big city now. I love being minutes away from tons of entertainment options. Where I'm from originally, I had to drive hours to go to amusement parks/sporting events, etc. Shit gets old FAST.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: