Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
GreatGreg
College star

Default The Romney Campaign extremely nervous of Gary Johnson

http://www.policymic.com/articles/16...-election-2012

Quote:
On Tuesday, President Obama and Republican nominee Mitt Romney will square off in their second presidential debate at Hofstra University, in Hempstead, New York, but one candidate who has the potential to swing the election will not be present on stage: the Libertarian Party's presidential nominee Gary Johnson.

Johnson only has small support nationwide in the presidential polls, but he enjoys a dedicated following of young people and former Ron Paul supporters, enough to actually make a difference in election 2012. He is on the ballot in almost every state (not Michigan or Oklahoma), so he has the potential to have a major impact on either Obama or Romney's chances. According to the New York Times, "And with polls showing the race between President Obama and Mitt Romney to be tight, Mr. Johnsonís once-fellow Republicans are no longer laughing. Around the country, Republican operatives have been making moves to keep Mr. Johnson from becoming their version of Ralph Nader, the Green Party candidate whose relatively modest support cut into Al Goreís 2000 vote arguably enough to help hand the decisive states of Ohio and Florida to George W. Bush."

The Times reports that the Romney campaign is so nervous about Johnson that it sent a campaign operative to Johnson's campaign in Iowa to conduct a surveillance operation which could be used to testify against Johnson in a lawsuit trying to prevent him from appearing on the ballot there.

Unlike Ron Paul, who attracted widespread support as a Republican during the Republican presidential primaries, Johnson opted to run as a Libertarian candidate in election 2012. It is nearly impossible for third party candidates to be a serious contender for the presidency in American politics, but it is certainly possible (think Ralph Nader) for them to impact the outcome of the election and tip the balance in one candidate or another's favor. If the 2012 election is as close as polls suggest, than Johnson could indeed play the role of spoiler.

Johnson is pro-marijuana legalization, antiwar, and fights for civil liberties and limited government instrusion in Americans' private lives. The former governor of New Mexico could have the biggest impact in the state of Nevada, where Obama and Romney are tied, but he also could cut support for Romney in Florida, Ohio, and Virginia, all important swing states in the election.

Johnson will not appear on stage at the debate on Tuesday (despite a lawsuit in which he protested otherwise), but he will continue campaigning. During the previous debate, he provided live commentary on Google+, explaining why the two candidates offer no real change and only he would be different.

Here's what Johnson supporters had to say after the first presidential debate between Obama and Romney: "We didnít see a debate tonight. We saw two slightly differing versions of defending the Republican and Democrat status quo that has given us war after war after war, a $16 trillion debt, and a government that is the answer to everything. Nowhere was there a real plan for reducing government, balancing the budget any time in the foreseeable future, or a path that will actually put Americans back to work."

No doubt, Johnson supporters will say the same after debate #2 between Obama and Romney. Much like Ron Paul, Johnson has shown that he will keep fighting, regardless of being excluded from the debates.

Thoughts?
GreatGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Balla_Status

Default Re: The Romney Campaign extremely nervous of Gary Johnson

Dudes 100% right.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Droid101
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg
Thoughts?
Libertarians are basically what real, fiscally conservative, socially "I don't care what you do in your house" Republicans should be voting for.

A vote for Mitt Romney is a vote for Theocracy.
Droid101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
TheMan
College superstar

Johnson is for legalizing weed?

He's got my vote
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
Johnson is for legalizing weed?

He's got my vote
Seems like every candidate outside of the two big parties are in favor of it.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
SpecialQue
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Seems like every candidate outside of the two big parties are in favor of it.

Most sane people are. I don't smoke it and can't stand being around stoners, but it's downright retarded that it's still illegal.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
StateOfMind12
Banned

Marijuana should only be legalized medically.

But if you told me to choose between leaving it completely illegal or having it completely legal (recreational use), I would say let it continue to be illegal.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Droid101
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12

But if you told me to choose between leaving it completely illegal or having it completely legal (recreational use), I would say let it continue to be illegal.
Alcohol should only be legalized medically.

But if you told me to choose between having it completely illegal or having it completely legal (recreational use), I would say make it illegal.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
StateOfMind12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Alcohol should only be legalized medically.

But if you told me to choose between having it completely illegal or having it completely legal (recreational use), I would say make it illegal.
Too bad alcohol already is legal. I suspect 5 more posters respond to my post with some bullshit lecture about marijuana.

I always find it funny when someone talks down about marijuana that a group of people come in and get all butthurt.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Droid101
NBA All-star

Quote:
Too bad alcohol already is legal. I suspect 5 more posters respond to my post with some bullshit lecture about marijuana.

I always find it funny when someone talks down about marijuana that a group of people come in and get all butthurt.
Alcohol was illegal in the United States except for medical use between 1920 and 1933.

So, were they right then, or are we right now?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

who cares if weed is legal or not? I don't smoke it anymore but when I did, I was able to do it easily and no one really gave a fvck
KingBeasley08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg

The NY Times article quoted in the piece you posted is a pretty good one. It's not just the Romney campaign that's concerned with Johnson. His pro marijuana stance has Obama's people worried in states like Colorado and Nevada with marijuana initiatives on the ballot. If I'm recalling it correctly, they fear losing the younger voters that typically belong to Obama.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Is He Ill
Go Spurs Go!

Quote:

I seriously don't understand why. I don't smoke weed, but what the hell is the purpose of it being illegal? How is the government allowed to determine what an adult consciously chooses to put into his/her body? I don't understand the anti marijuana stance whatsoever.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:

I vote someone should kick you in the head.
Jackass18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
who cares if weed is legal or not? I don't smoke it anymore but when I did, I was able to do it easily and no one really gave a fvck

I haven't done it in quite some time, but I know people who needlessly got into trouble over it. It's not just about weed itself, but about governmental BS and control.
Jackass18 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: