Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #16
D.J.
College superstar

Default Re: The Romney Campaign extremely nervous of Gary Johnson

If you're going to make marijuana illegal, so should cigarettes. Make pot legal and tax it like you do with cigarettes. You want to talk about lowering the deficit and improving the economy? That one act alone can make a huge difference.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J.
If you're going to make marijuana illegal, so should cigarettes. Make pot legal and tax it like you do with cigarettes. You want to talk about lowering the deficit and improving the economy? That one act alone can make a huge difference.
Not to mention it's the surest way to cut the cartel's legs out from underneath them. Decreased spending, Increased revenues, lowered crime, and a huge dent in cartel and gang violence.

The for-profit prison industrial complex will fight it tooth and nail though, and we've yet to see a respectable politician put some serious weight behind it. And in some states, like CA, we seem to be moving backwards.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #18
D.J.
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Not to mention it's the surest way to cut the cartel's legs out from underneath them. Decreased spending, Increased revenues, lowered crime, and a huge dent in cartel and gang violence.

Yep, but the only concern is how the cartel will react. A backlash is still a legitimate concern.

Quote:
The for-profit prison industrial complex will fight it tooth and nail though, and we've yet to see a respectable politician put some serious weight behind it.

We don't need people in jail for petty crimes and especially non-violent crimes. Someone who smokes pot, even daily, is not a threat to me unless they were to drive a car or something like that. And besides, drunk driving isn't exactly rare and those individuals aren't punished nearly as severely as they should be. We need to be placing violent offenders in prison, not someone who does narcotics or doesn't pay their taxes.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #19
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J.
Yep, but the only concern is how the cartel will react. A backlash is still a legitimate concern.
Nevertheless, you'd be taking their business away from them. A backlash from from a criminal organization in its death throes is preferable to perpetuating the grisly violence they get away with every single day. And what are they going to do, really? Burn hemp farms in Iowa? Attack the Capitol? Good luck, and good night if you try that nonsense.

The crazy part is that we've already had, in this very country, a test case of this very issue. We prohibited alcohol and saw major jumps in crime and spending. We repealed it, and things got better. How they can continue to ignore American history is just baffling.

Quote:
We don't need people in jail for petty crimes and especially non-violent crimes. Someone who smokes pot, even daily, is not a threat to me unless they were to drive a car or something like that. And besides, drunk driving isn't exactly rare and those individuals aren't punished nearly as severely as they should be. We need to be placing violent offenders in prison, not someone who does narcotics or doesn't pay their taxes.
I hardly do drugs, but this is something of a pet issue for me, if only for the massive stupidity it exposes on the part of legislators. If a presidential candidate, of whichever party, and whichever other ideals - seriously, he could be a ****ing Nazi for all I care - promised to end the war on drugs, he'd go a long way towards earning my vote.

That's part of why Gary Johnson is so intriguing.

Last edited by Scoooter : 10-17-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #20
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Cigarettes which kill people everyday and can cause cancer are allowed, but not weed which is natural and has never killed anyone.

I wish they would have cigs and marijuana switch places.

Hell. I'd be tenting outside stores just to stock up on weed.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
Cigarettes which kill people everyday and can cause cancer are allowed, but not weed which is natural and has never killed anyone.

I wish they would have cigs and marijuana switch places.

Hell. I'd be tenting outside stores just to stock up on weed.
You're not helping.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #22
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Libertarians are just Republicans who are ashamed to admit it.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #23
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32
Libertarians are just Republicans who are ashamed to admit it.

As a libertarian myself, this is very inaccurate. Republicans support huge military budgets, libertarians do not. Republicans support offensive war, libertarians do not. The groups are nearly polar opposites when it comes to the defense budget.

Domestically, libertarians agree more with Republicans than Democrats, but there's still big differences. Republicans support police state measures like TSA and surveillance, in the name of security. Libertarians place more importance on individual liberty. Republicans support lower income taxes, libertarians support zero income taxes. Libertarians are more laissez-faire economically than Republicans in general. And Republicans could give two shits about the Federal Reserve or central banking, a big issue for libertarians.

Not all libertarians fall into the same group, some might lean more Republican than others. But in general, libertarians are perhaps as different from Republicans as they are Democrats.
joe is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: