Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #16
lakerspng
National High School Star

lakerspng is considered somewhat coollakerspng is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Negotiations to keep troops in Afghanistan past 2014

private contractors... you mean our real army?

We can't downsize our apparent presence in Afghanistan. It is a much more sensitive and important tactical battleground than Iraq ever was and the current regime's hold there is so tenuous, we could never trust them to stabilize the country and region.

The US will find a way to make the new agreement work, we have no choice. We would be damn fools, even bigger fools than for getting into it in the first place, which, unfortunately we had no choice about either.
lakerspng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #17
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

One of the craziest things I've experienced in life, has been watching Democrats go from anti-war to pro-war, just because "their guy" took office. Watching them blurt out excuses why these wars are necessary is so disheartening, I want to cry and scream at the same time. Innocent people are dying.. stop believing this BS about "spreading democracy" or "helping their government get on their feet." It is lies. War is a tool for rich c***s***** politicians to siphon money from us to them. The people in Afghanistan HATE Americans, that should show you how much they appreciate us "helping" them.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #18
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerspng
private contractors... you mean our real army?

We can't downsize our apparent presence in Afghanistan. It is a much more sensitive and important tactical battleground than Iraq ever was and the current regime's hold there is so tenuous, we could never trust them to stabilize the country and region.

The US will find a way to make the new agreement work, we have no choice. We would be damn fools, even bigger fools than for getting into it in the first place, which, unfortunately we had no choice about either.

I was a contractor in Iraq. To call a contractor the real Army shows you need to do some more reading. If they don't agree to extend the SOFA are you in favor of us deposing Karzai and just having us take over things cosmetically as well as how we are doing right now? If the Afghan doesn't want us there and does not extend the SOFA short of us putting in another puppet we have to go as far as US and NATO troops.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 AM   #19
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
One of the craziest things I've experienced in life, has been watching Democrats go from anti-war to pro-war, just because "their guy" took office. Watching them blurt out excuses why these wars are necessary is so disheartening, I want to cry and scream at the same time. Innocent people are dying.. stop believing this BS about "spreading democracy" or "helping their government get on their feet." It is lies. War is a tool for rich c***s***** politicians to siphon money from us to them. The people in Afghanistan HATE Americans, that should show you how much they appreciate us "helping" them.

Are you referring to the mass protests over Iraq. Most Democrats have always thought we should have remained focused on Afghanistan. President Bush had the country when we had a focus on Afghanistan. He lost the left when he went into Iraq. How do you know Afghani's hate Americans?
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #20
lakerspng

War is about what it has always been about. Securing resources. From the first caveman, to the Roman Empire, to the English Empire, to the creation of America and forward... Civilizations need resources to flourish. Not every land on Earth has all the resources it needs to support its population/civilization. Doesn't get any more simple. no matter how much politicizing is used to cover it with layers and layers of talking points, it's always the same simple thing. We need something, we can either buy it, use force to strengthen our position in negotiations, or just take it by force completely.

The consumption in our current civilization is astronomical. That takes a crapload of resources to support. We have to get them somehow. It would be great if everyone played nice and there was fair market trade globally and every deal was on the up and up... but let's be real: There's a ton of scumbags out there. We either have to be a bigger scumbag or get screwed. Americans don't like getting screwed, so we have become the biggest scumbag on the block. The global scorn we face around the world is partly ignorance and partly earned with years of trying to outplay everyone else in a dog eat dog melee for the dwindling resources on our planet. it is what it is. It will not change. Such is life.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #21
lakerspng

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
I was a contractor in Iraq. To call a contractor the real Army shows you need to do some more reading. If they don't agree to extend the SOFA are you in favor of us deposing Karzai and just having us take over things cosmetically as well as how we are doing right now? If the Afghan doesn't want us there and does not extend the SOFA short of us putting in another puppet we have to go as far as US and NATO troops.

I have a lot of friends who are private contractors. I know very well the situation. I was simply being sarcastic, in reference to the staggering number of contractors working worldwide.

We are in a no win situation with Afghanistan. There is no correct policy, there are only worse and worse policies. The worst of which, would be leaving it to the Afghanis to handle with only our diplomatic and tactical support.

I hate that our troops are stuck there as pawns and I feel terribly for their families, but until the region is stabilized far more than it is today, downgrading our involvement would be a mistake.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: