Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
hipballinjigga
Berkshire is the Woods

hipballinjigga has decent reputation
Default Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
Nets have potential to finish anywhere from 2-6. It all pretty much hinges on health, particularly Lopez's and if they can turn some assets into either an upgrade at PF or better depth.

And where the hell did Mirza Teletovic come from? He looks good.

And don't get me started on Blatche....
hipballinjigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
I know it's only pre-season but each NBA team (Philly, NY and Boston) have outrebounded them so far and again they were 3rd worst last year in differential.
I think it's a glaring weakness they need to address.

Well like I said, Sullinger can rebound. He can also space the floor with his intelligence, as well as that solid jumpshot. He's going to rebound. He should get in there if KG is playing C.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipballinjigga
And where the hell did Mirza Teletovic come from? He looks good.

And don't get me started on Blatche....
He's Bosnian and been in the Spanish league.

Bit of a gunner who doesn't rebound or defend for my taste but I'll wait to reserve judgement, though it's hard since it was basically him or fan favorite Gerald Green with the tax MLE.

Blatche has been a revelation. He's been backing up Lopez and together they have averaged about 35/17 per game. Makes me feel so much better about the C position should something happen to Lopez.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This team got a great mix of veterans and young upcoming players.
They are deep as well and well coached.
No clue what to expect from them exactly but if all goes well I would not be too surprised if they knock out the Heat in the ECF.
Heat are still the favorites out East of course. But the Celtics are right there with them.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick

BlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected poster

Firstly, Lee is and always has been severely overrated as a defender. While he is above average, he is not and never has been even close to an elite defender. The idea that a frail-looking Lee will slow down the physical specimens that Wade and Lebron are is sheer comedy.

Secondly, the Celtics have developed a versatile team, no doubt in an effort to address their embarrassing offensive struggles the last couple of seasons. Their issue in size as it pertains to their centers and backcourt could prove to be a point to exploit as it has in moments this pre-season, but generally I think that those weak points will not deter them from winning games. Ainge has done a tremendous job at reloading the team, and it would surprise me if they don't find themselves in the ECF.

With that said, I still think that Lebron, as he has been the last two post-seasons when the Heat and Celtics have met, will just be too much to overcome. The Celtics don't have a big man that can exploit Miami's small ball tactics, and as impressive as their depth is, depth truly is marginalized in the post-season. Ask the Spurs.

It will come down to can the 5 players on the floor for the Celtics at any given time stop the Heat from scoring, and if their top talent can conversely keep up on the offensive end. I'm just not sure. As amazing as Rondo is, for some reason his elevated play as a point guard has never really translated into offensive success for the team. We won't know for sure until mid-way through the season if this will continue to hold true, but opening night will be the first of many measuring sticks between the Celtics and Heat.
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
swi7ch
Banned

swi7ch has not been impressing people

When your best players are considered grandfathers in the basketball world, you aren't going anywhere.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
jbryan1984
Good college starter

jbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cooljbryan1984 is considered somewhat cool

Danny Ainge has always done a great job of surrounding the aging vets with great talent but I think this one may be the best bench he has assembled. Most of those guys would be starters on other teams. Possibly the best guard rotation in the league, Barbosa or Lee might not even play sometimes while they were regular rotation players off the bench last year. People complaining about the bigs but they got Wilcox and Darko which is not bad but not great either. IMO, Celtics did excellent in the draft for the position they were picking, drafting Sullinger and Melo. I will be pulling for Boston in the playoffs this year as I don't think my team will make it again.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #23
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by swi7ch
When your best players are considered grandfathers in the basketball world, you aren't going anywhere.
Way to go, champ. See you in playoffs...

I think they could go as far as the coaching can bring them... You obviously have to rest some guys, and get the playing time for youngsters to develop. But this is everlasting problem between winning basketball games and teaching players how to play it (quoting Tommy). I think Celtics could be well off with multiple starting lineups, and competitive setting in the roster. Some guys seem to have the character and discipline to pull it off, for example Sullinger gives an impression of dedicated and intelligent player. So this, and you take for granted that veterans would be ready when they're called. In this way regular season would pan off as projected... Playoffs would be a story of starters dictating the game and everybody stepping up. I hope.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #24
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

They can go all the way, especially if the new guys really bring it.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #25
poido123
Cameron Bairstow!!

poido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterpoido123 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipballinjigga
I am curious on your thoughts. Everyone is biased towards their own teams and should be. But without being biased, how good can this team really be? I really believe this is by far the deepest team in the NBA with:

Rondo
Pierce
Garnett
Green
Terry
Lee
Bass
Bradley
Wilcox
Darko
Barbosa
Sullinger
Collins
Melo
Joseph

That is a pretty deep team and I do not see where everyone will get enough playing time to be "happy" unless they buy into the team concept.

What do you think of this team? They are versatile and can match up with anyone this year in my opinion.

I'm getting 23-1 odds over here in Australia for Boston to win the championship, and 9-1 to win the conference. I think both are very good prices. This team is better than last year and were very close to beating the eventual champs Heat.

Alot of people underestimating the celtics again, addition of sullinger, healthy green, millicic, bradley come back december, Courtney lee, Jason terry, and all they lost was a crippled allen for these additions. Yeah, I think they can go well.
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputation

They're very real contenders, once again.
The notion that only two teams can win the title is an illusion.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Very good

that depth is going to be huge for a higher seed. They will give Miami hell once again.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #28
Unforgiven
I brick open layups

Unforgiven has decent reputation

Deep team, definitely.

Problem is, Bass and KG don't overly worry the Heat with Battier/Bosh. When Bosh came back in the ECF it was over.

In saying that Jeff Green helps, Terry's playmaking and if Bradley comes back healthy his defence gives them great options. Meaning they have improved.

I could see this team finishing top of the east, I just don't see how the get passed Miami.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
greymatter
Local High School Star

greymatter has decent reputation

This team is at best, slightly better than last year's team. Bulls and Magic figure to be about -40 Ws between the two of them. By default, all the teams that were top 6 in the East not named the Magic/Bulls should get about +2/3 wins this year.

Celts probably win somewhere between 52-56 games. They're good enough to be a fairly distant 2nd to the Heat. Only way they can take a series against them is if any one of Bosh/Lebron/Wade can't play due to injury.
greymatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
anyonebutmiami
I airball my layups

anyonebutmiami has not been impressing people

they're deep!!!! I hope they crush MIA!!!
anyonebutmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: