Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
Fudge
NBA Legend
 
Fudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my mums cah
Posts: 19,158
Fudge is popular on this boardFudge is popular on this boardFudge is popular on this boardFudge is popular on this boardFudge is popular on this board
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDunk
This guy.

& LOL at McGrady being the 70th best NBA player of all time. I rank Carter over McGrady.
You're right. It should've been Carmelo Anthony.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Fudge
NBA Legend
 
Fudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my mums cah
Posts: 19,158
Fudge is popular on this boardFudge is popular on this boardFudge is popular on this boardFudge is popular on this boardFudge is popular on this board
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
one of the worst picks so far.
thanks to a few tmac lunatic fans and double/triple accounts who voted him in. he accomplished absolutely nothing in the playoffs through his career. had a great team in houston but couldn't get himself healthy, has no one to blame.
Nope, pretty sure Deuce took away my other votes on my other accounts in the other threads. Try again. Definitely not as bad as your boy Pau Gasol being 64th.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED
 
ripthekik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,360
ripthekik has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
LOL @ "great team"

Please explain what was great about Houston.
Yao Ming, T-mac, 2 great superstars.
Role players? Mutumbo, chuck hayes, mike james, luther head, I don't remember which year which guys came in, but they had pretty serviceable players.
they had the superstars and role players to make it all work.
they still didn't get anywhere.

what happened Rockets v Mavs Game 7 in 2005? You tell me.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,686
HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
Yao Ming, T-mac, 2 great superstars.
Role players? Mutumbo, chuck hayes, mike james, luther head, I don't remember which year which guys came in, but they had pretty serviceable players.
they had the superstars and role players to make it all work.
they still didn't get anywhere.

what happened Rockets v Mavs Game 7 in 2005? You tell me.

They were good, not great.

They were outmatched by the Mavs in 2005... it was pretty much T-Mac and Yao fending for themselves in Game 7. And, Yao's stamina was horrible in that postseason as he could only play 31 minutes per game. It's not accurate to say T-Mac has "no one to blame", especially for that year in the playoffs. Like I said, it was T-Mac and Yao fending for themselves.. and Yao wasn't even on the floor enough to be that legitimate sidekick for a 1-2 punch.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED
 
ripthekik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,360
ripthekik has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
They were good, not great.

They were outmatched by the Mavs in 2005... it was pretty much T-Mac and Yao fending for themselves in Game 7. And, Yao's stamina was horrible in that postseason as he could only play 31 minutes per game. It's not accurate to say T-Mac has "no one to blame", especially for that year in the playoffs. Like I said, it was T-Mac and Yao fending for themselves.. and Yao wasn't even on the floor enough to be that legitimate sidekick for a 1-2 punch.
And when Yao was healthy, Tmac wasn't there. In fact, Yao took that team to the second round, and would have went further if he didn't get injured. It's Tmac's responsibility to step up as the leader, but that was just how he is.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,686
HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
And when Yao was healthy, Tmac wasn't there. In fact, Yao took that team to the second round, and would have went further if he didn't get injured. It's Tmac's responsibility to step up as the leader, but that was just how he is.

It was a star-crossed duo. If everything had been clicking on all cylinders for both of them at the same time, they would have had a lot more success together.

That team Yao got to the 2nd round was well-rounded and balanced with Ron Artest and faced an inferior Blazers squad. T-Mac was never lucky enough to have a favorable match-up like that.

So, if you're going to assume that Yao "would have went further if he didn't get injured" I think it's fair to assume T-Mac "would have went further in 2005" if Yao was able to stay on the floor and they had a piece similar to Ron Artest to strengthen the squad.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED
 
ripthekik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,360
ripthekik has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
It was a star-crossed duo. If everything had been clicking on all cylinders for both of them at the same time, they would have had a lot more success together.

That team Yao got to the 2nd round was well-rounded and balanced with Ron Artest and faced an inferior Blazers squad. T-Mac was never lucky enough to have a favorable match-up like that.

So, if you're going to assume that Yao "would have went further if he didn't get injured" I think it's fair to assume T-Mac "would have went further in 2005" if Yao was able to stay on the floor and they had a piece similar to Ron Artest to strengthen the squad.
The thing is, the Houston front office did a GREAT job surrounding Tmac and Yao with great players. In 2008 they had Battier, Ron Artest, Luis Scola, aaron brooks, chuck hayes, carl landry, mutumbo.

If Tmac had stayed healthy.. he would have had the greatest opportunity to win a ring. But he was the one that couldn't stay healthy. He didn't win a ring not because nobody built a good team around him, but because he couldn't stay healthy. And this is part of how we rank players don't we? Durability, consistency, and health; Tmac fails at this part.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,686
HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
The thing is, the Houston front office did a GREAT job surrounding Tmac and Yao with great players. In 2008 they had Battier, Ron Artest, Luis Scola, aaron brooks, chuck hayes, carl landry, mutumbo.

If Tmac had stayed healthy.. he would have had the greatest opportunity to win a ring. But he was the one that couldn't stay healthy. He didn't win a ring not because nobody built a good team around him, but because he couldn't stay healthy. And this is part of how we rank players don't we? Durability, consistency, and health; Tmac fails at this part.

There's no defending T-Mac's lack of durability or mental frailty. He definitely didn't work hard enough to keep his fitness up after the 2003 season. It's as if he went on a steady decline of pre-season preparation as he came into each season looking less fit.

He was an amazing, supremely gifted player at his peak though, and I think that goes underappreciated sometimes by people who have an agenda against him. I can't defend his childish mentality, but he was the kind of player that needed a good team early in his career to help keep him motivated to stay healthy. He was stranded in a shit situation that caused him to lose hope.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,968
Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

I don't have anything against McGrady, but he has no business being here ahead of Alonzo Mourning.



And let's be honest. Why does he make it over Grant Hill? Neither one got to the 2nd round (at least Hill didn't in his prime), but regardless of the PPG, Hill's peak is greater than McGrady's. He should have been All-NBA as a rookie and was All-NBA the next 5 years. Probably should have made another 1st Team, but his teams sucked. Has a legitimate argument over Malone in 96 as well.


And after all the injuries, he had an all-star season in Orlando and has been a very good player in Phoenix. McGrady was a contributor to Toronto and then great in Orlando and Houston, for about as long as Hill was. But he wasn't as good a contributor after being a great player, as Grant Hill was.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #25
RRR3
Ryūja no Mai
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,532
RRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation hereRRR3 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
I don't have anything against McGrady, but he has no business being here ahead of Alonzo Mourning.



And let's be honest. Why does he make it over Grant Hill? Neither one got to the 2nd round (at least Hill didn't in his prime), but regardless of the PPG, Hill's peak is greater than McGrady's. He should have been All-NBA as a rookie and was All-NBA the next 5 years. Probably should have made another 1st Team, but his teams sucked. Has a legitimate argument over Malone in 96 as well.


And after all the injuries, he had an all-star season in Orlando and has been a very good player in Phoenix. McGrady was a contributor to Toronto and then great in Orlando and Houston, for about as long as Hill was. But he wasn't as good a contributor after being a great player, as Grant Hill was.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
colts19
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 263
colts19 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

A. Mourning
colts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman
 
SHAQisGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,666
SHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat coolSHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat coolSHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Don't have the time to read the whole list and make a good pick, all I know is that Moncrief should be there already
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
Duncan21formvp
Good college starter
 
Duncan21formvp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,237
Duncan21formvp is popular on this boardDuncan21formvp is popular on this boardDuncan21formvp is popular on this boardDuncan21formvp is popular on this board
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Penny Hardaway
Duncan21formvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
WillC
Local High School Star
 
WillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,557
WillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Bob Lanier
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #30
MiamiThrice
Banned
 
MiamiThrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 423
MiamiThrice has decent reputationMiamiThrice has decent reputation
Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Alonzo Mourning

-7 Time NBA All-star
-NBA ****ing Champion on the 2006 Miami Heat
-2x DPOY
-550+ Bench Press
-Inspiration to kidney transplanters everywhere
-All NBA First Team in 99
-All NBA 2nd Team in 00
-Best defensive anchor in the best era for centers in the NBA History
-Has a high school named after him in Miami
-21.1 PPG 10.1 RPG 3.1 BPG career numbers prior to his kidney surgery
MiamiThrice is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy