Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
SHAQisGOAT
Good college starter

Default Re: Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongib369
Clyde Lovellette- 1:07 high flyer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAuQLyeB9mM

according to wilt there was a white guy on the lakers team he played on that could "Jump out the gym"....Dont remember the exact quote or players name but I do remember him talking about a white player who hardly played at all that could really well

Keith Erickson? He was a great athlete
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

True, Cunningham wasn't the dunking type of player, but he did play above the rim quite a bit. More so than a guy like, say, Havlicek.

http://www.nasljerseys.com/ABA/Image...%20Cougars.jpg

http://tobaccoroadblues.com/wp-conte...Cunningham.jpg

As for Wilt's statement, I've read that he called Don Kojis the "jumpingest white boy" he'd ever seen. He might have a point (scroll down):

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba...sdrockets.html
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #18
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongib369
according to wilt there was a white guy on the lakers team he played on that could "Jump out the gym"....Dont remember the exact quote or players name but I do remember him talking about a white player who hardly played at all that could really well

That wasn't a Laker player. It was Herb Smith, who only played one season as a sub for the Hawks and was legendary for his leaping ability (CavsFTW--you should definitely add him to your list even though there's no video footage of him, unless you think of him as a Jumpin' Jackie Jackson/Earl Manigaut type of legend.) There's an amusing anecdote from Smith in one of the Maravich books where he talks about teaching Pete how to do some of the fancier dunks--360s, behind his head, etc... and telling Pete he should dunk in games. Pete said he was afraid he'd miss. Herb said "Pete, you've missed more shots than anybody," and Pete replied with something like "but missing a dunk would be really embarrassing!" There is youtube footage of Pete dunking in at least one NBA game, by the way, but it was several years later with the Jazz. The book also mentioned that in one of his first few years in the NBA with the Hawks, Pete hurt his hand during an in-game dunk, so maybe Herb convinced him to do it.

I believe you have Walt Bellamy on your list--every bit of footage of him I've seen shows him putting down authoritative one-handed dunks. Nate Thurmond also was probably a powerful dunker. The guy was too strong and too big not to be. The one clip I've seen of him dunking is a rim-rattler. Meanwhile--I'd be eternally grateful to see video of Zelmo Beaty dunking.

He only overlapped with Wilt one year, and during it he didn't play much, but the wildest dunking guard in the NBA (as opposed to the ABA) in the mid-70s was Paul Westphal. He was fearless and dunked in people's faces often. The only other guards or forwards of that era I saw dunk in traffic like him were Dr. J, Bobby Jones, and David Thompson.

Last edited by pudman13 : 09-06-2013 at 05:30 PM.
pudman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #19
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Charlie Scott?
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

Connie Hawkins
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Charlie Scott?

I've read that Scott was a high-flyer and loved to dunk in his ABA days, but when he was the Celtics I don't ever remember him doing it and in fact, in one of the 1976 playoff games (it's on youtube) there's an instance where he has an open break, and lays the ball in with his entire hand over the rim. In other words, he deliberately chose not to dunk. It must be something about the Celtics--Dennis Johnson dunked like a madman early in his career with the Sonics but in all the years I followed the Celtics religiously, I never saw him do it. Also--has anyone ever seen Jo Jo White (who was very athletic) dunk?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

I stand corrected re: Scott. He did the lay-in I mentioned in the finals, but here he is dunking against Cleveland, also in the 1976 playoffs. (1:40) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8lh1rRqIjU
Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Phil Chenier could fly. This is a simple dunk, but it shows his easy hops, and plus you get the pleasure of listening to Oscar Robertson scream in joy after seeing it:
http://youtu.be/5tkf0UtuNZ4?t=10m26s

Also note Clifford Ray at about 12:45. He overlapped with Wilt's last few years.

Last edited by pudman13 : 08-30-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Obviously more than just these guys "could" or "did" dunk I've prob got footage of at least 1/3rd of the league dunking but I don't want to make a list of people who merely "could" dunk (like say, a Jerry West, Satch Sanders, or John Havlicek) I just want the players who could do it over anyone and built up a reputation for themselves.

Wikipedia claims that West could get 16 inches over the rim in college. If he did have that kind of leaping ability, did he just not play that style?
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesk
Wikipedia claims that West could get 16 inches over the rim in college. If he did have that kind of leaping ability, did he just not play that style?

A lot of great athletes chose to play a different kind of game then: Sam Jones, John Havlicek, Oscar Robertson, and Walt Frazier all come to mind.

If you watch games from the era, it was pretty consistent that guards and small forwards almost always stopped short for a jumper rather than driving to the rim in traffic. It was just a different mentality. Elgin Baylor and Gus Johnson were a few obvious exceptions to that rule.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
jlip
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesk

Somewhat related post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlip
"The 6-5 Oscar Robertson, one of the gameís greatest players and the only one to average a triple-double for an entire season, never dunked in an N.B.A. game.

Robertsonís high school coach, Ray Crowe, discouraged dunking, but that was not Robertsonís only deterrent. He once leapt for a dunk on an Indiana playground and was knocked into a pole by a defender
."

Source

"I don't want to sound like a dinosaur: "In my day we knew how to play, to dunk; we had to walk uphill both ways to get to the basketball court, and then when we dribbled, we the ball rolled down the hill." Dunking's been part of the game for a long time. Many players I knew when I used to play at the Dust Bowl could dunk a ball. Gus Johnson tore down rims more than 30 years ago. I could list guy after guy who was a great dunker. It never meant anything to me but two points. A lot of them never dunked because it embarrassed a defender, and he'd take it out on them the next play. I rarely dunked, but I did do it once in a while in practice, just to show people I could."

The Big O: My Life, My Times, My Game pp. 209-210
jlip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
julizaver
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Help me make this list - I'm talkin the "freaks" of Wilt's era - the guys that could dunk on anyone and played against Wilt for at least 2 seasons. The closest things to the Vince Carters and Dwight Howards of that time.

If we are talking about Wilt's era - Doctor J and Artis Gilmore had two pro seasons in ABA before Wilt retiring in 1973.

So if the point is to show the leapers and dunkers from Wilt era, there is no need to seperate ABA and NBA.
julizaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
LAZERUSS
NBA rookie of the year

You probably won't find any footage of him, but I recall back at the time, that Curtis Perry was supposedly capable of touching the top of the backboard. Obviously it was never confirmed, but in any case, he was known to be a great leaper.

5-9 Calvin Murphy was dunking balls in high school, at 5-6.

As for Chamberlain...it was commonly accepted that he could touch the top of the backboard, and in fact, two respected eye-witnesses have verified it (Sonny Hill and long-time Sixers trainer, Al Domenico.) In any case, CavsFan unearthed footage of a college Wilt, with no time to react, going straight up (with no running start), and using his off-hand, and blocking a shot, in which his fingertips are probably a couple of inches from the top of the backboard. Which is interesting, since Sports Science recently had Dwight Howard try to break Shaq's "record" leap, in which O'Neal touched 12' 5". On his second try, with a running start, Howard reached 12' 6". One can only wonder what a refreshed Chamberlain (and not playing exhaustive minutes), and with a running start, and using his normal hand, could have reached. 13 feet would be a piece of cake. the real question would have been...how much higher?
LAZERUSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #29
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by julizaver
So if the point is to show the leapers and dunkers from Wilt era, there is no need to seperate ABA and NBA.

Speaking of the ABA, there's Helicopter Hentz, who only played one season but broke *both* backboards in a single ABA game in 1970.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #30
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
You probably won't find any footage of him, but I recall back at the time, that Curtis Perry was supposedly capable of touching the top of the backboard. Obviously it was never confirmed, but in any case, he was known to be a great leaper.

I'm very suspicious of any claims to touch the top of the backboard. We have grainy video of Wilt blocking a shot pretty high up, so it's reasonable to suspect he could with his reach and leaping ability.

But most other claims are likely bs. There are some youtube videos of modern players touching a pole attached to the top, but who knows if the backboard is regulation height.

If Dwight Howard and Lebron can't do it, and James White couldn't do it officially (though he said he could 1 in 100 times), then I'm thinking it's only been done a few times in history by guys like Wilt. Maybe Sampson?

I'm not aware of any official confirmation of this being done. Just lots of stories. White was the closest officially, coming within a couple inches I believe.
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: