Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
LAZERUSS
NBA Legend

Default Re: Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesk
I'm very suspicious of any claims to touch the top of the backboard. We have grainy video of Wilt blocking a shot pretty high up, so it's reasonable to suspect he could with his reach and leaping ability.

But most other claims are likely bs. There are some youtube videos of modern players touching a pole attached to the top, but who knows if the backboard is regulation height.

If Dwight Howard and Lebron can't do it, and James White couldn't do it officially (though he said he could 1 in 100 times), then I'm thinking it's only been done a few times in history by guys like Wilt. Maybe Sampson?

I'm not aware of any official confirmation of this being done. Just lots of stories. White was the closest officially, coming within a couple inches I believe.

Oh I agree. There have been several players who supposedly touched the top of the backboard, like David Thompson, but actually never did.

My point, though, was that Perry was regarded as a great leaper.

As for Chamberlain...I have no doubt. Just too much out there to discount it. His coach at KU rolled out a 12 ft basket, and there were claims back then, that Chamberlain was dunking on it.

Tex Winter claiming that he witnessed Chamberlain, with three steps behind the FT line, dunking the ball. He was so concerned that he helped lead the banning of the dunking of FTs.

Then there have been two respectable eye-witness accounts (Sonny Hill, and longtime Sixer trainer Al Domenico.)

And finally, as you pointed out...a VIDEO clip, which shows Wilt, with no time to react, going straight up (no running start), and using his off-hand...and coming with a couple of inches of the top of the backboard. And who knows how long, or how winded Chamberlain was in that video, either.

Now, give a refreshed Wilt a running start, with his normal hand, and I think he easily touches the top of the backboard. And really, why would anyone dispute it? Wilt was nearly 7-2 barefoot (and some claimed he was taller), with a verifiable 7-8 wingspan...and he was a college high-jump champion (as well as a sprinter, long jumper, and triple-jumper.) I think the real question would have been...just how high could Wilt have gotten?
LAZERUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #32
Living Being
Entity of Existence

Default Re: Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
As for Chamberlain...it was commonly accepted that he could touch the top of the backboard, and in fact, two respected eye-witnesses have verified it (Sonny Hill and long-time Sixers trainer, Al Domenico.) In any case, CavsFan unearthed footage of a college Wilt, with no time to react, going straight up (with no running start), and using his off-hand, and blocking a shot, in which his fingertips are probably a couple of inches from the top of the backboard. Which is interesting, since Sports Science recently had Dwight Howard try to break Shaq's "record" leap, in which O'Neal touched 12' 5". On his second try, with a running start, Howard reached 12' 6". One can only wonder what a refreshed Chamberlain (and not playing exhaustive minutes), and with a running start, and using his normal hand, could have reached. 13 feet would be a piece of cake. the real question would have been...how much higher?

------

And finally, as you pointed out...a VIDEO clip, which shows Wilt, with no time to react, going straight up (no running start), and using his off-hand...and coming with a couple of inches of the top of the backboard. And who knows how long, or how winded Chamberlain was in that video, either.

Now, give a refreshed Wilt a running start, with his normal hand, and I think he easily touches the top of the backboard. And really, why would anyone dispute it? Wilt was nearly 7-2 barefoot (and some claimed he was taller), with a verifiable 7-8 wingspan...and he was a college high-jump champion (as well as a sprinter, long jumper, and triple-jumper.) I think the real question would have been...just how high could Wilt have gotten?
Way to repeat yourself within the span of 2 posts.
Your love for Wilt is ridiculous.
Also, this thread is about leapers in Wilt's Era, not Wilt. Everyone knows Wilt is the greatest athlete this planet has ever saw by far.

I was looking forward to your contribution to the thread since you have a lot of knowledge of players in that era, but it turned into another Wilt BJ.
Living Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #33
bagelred
Stare

Back in the 1960's, we used to discuss Wilt ALL the time on Insidehoops.

"Wilt > Russell", "Wilt > Mikan"....but back in the day, creating a new thread MEANT something. Now all you get are these joke threads.....kids today, I tells ya.....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #34
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

There was a white dude name Bill Riser or Rieser something like that. Never made the league though. This guy was from Spanish Harlem someplace around Wards Island and he had serious skills, he could play some 1on1 on NBA guys and more than hold his own.
But to the point of this thread. Most amazing vertical on the playgrounds he was dunk right on their head. On anybody and I do mean anybody. Took flight. But that postal angry drug-addled dude went off to college somewhere like Tennessee or Kentucky and broke his knee end of story. But he was something to see on a court. He dunked so hard his wrists bled.

Speaking of vertical though how about Earl the Pearl... now there is vertical, and then there is vertical. As far as how high can you touch on the backboard? Sure, Monroe could get up there I mean you know, he's a legend. But the "vertical" he had was in the fact of his immense hang time. He's famous for his spins and twirls but Pearl would go up for a jumper and it seemed like you could go to the fridge, grab a six, come back, pass em around, and he was just letting the ball go. lol But Sam Jones had that too, they would just hang up there while everybody else just lead weight back down to earth.

The highest fliers you would see though were on the playgrounds. The NBA was more serious than that style of play. There was so much transition game that high flying just wasn't such a big part of it back then. I mean guys would get wide open layups and they would... do layups. Dunks as this whole fashion statement came later and more than anybody else, it was Connie Hawkins and much later, Julius Erving who brought the whole stylin' thing to the NBA. Yes, them and Earl, but Monroe was more twirling and inventive in a horizontal fashion. But these guys , they were all street ball in their core anyhow and they just brought that into the league.

Russell didn't really jump. He would levitate. His arms would just get longer and longer like Mr Fantastic Four. As far as upper body he played somewhat like Tim Duncan, arms all flailing around like they are swatting flies but very very effective, very disruptive. Constant motion of the arms so the closer you get in your post game the bigger they look, in a way. Every way barred by these flailing arms - but Russell had the additional fact of that levitation so if you did get a shot off it was still just too bad.
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Jumpin Jackie Jackson, who was drafted but never played in the NBA. It was said he blocked Wilts dunk not once, but twice ... and he is only 6'3.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #36
Living Being
Entity of Existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
There was a white dude name Bill Riser or Rieser something like that. Never made the league though. This guy was from Spanish Harlem someplace around Wards Island and he had serious skills, he could play some 1on1 on NBA guys and more than hold his own.
But to the point of this thread. Most amazing vertical on the playgrounds he was dunk right on their head. On anybody and I do mean anybody. Took flight. But that postal angry drug-addled dude went off to college somewhere like Tennessee or Kentucky and broke his knee end of story. But he was something to see on a court. He dunked so hard his wrists bled.

Speaking of vertical though how about Earl the Pearl... now there is vertical, and then there is vertical. As far as how high can you touch on the backboard? Sure, Monroe could get up there I mean you know, he's a legend. But the "vertical" he had was in the fact of his immense hang time. He's famous for his spins and twirls but Pearl would go up for a jumper and it seemed like you could go to the fridge, grab a six, come back, pass em around, and he was just letting the ball go. lol But Sam Jones had that too, they would just hang up there while everybody else just lead weight back down to earth.

The highest fliers you would see though were on the playgrounds. The NBA was more serious than that style of play. There was so much transition game that high flying just wasn't such a big part of it back then. I mean guys would get wide open layups and they would... do layups. Dunks as this whole fashion statement came later and more than anybody else, it was Connie Hawkins and much later, Julius Erving who brought the whole stylin' thing to the NBA. Yes, them and Earl, but Monroe was more twirling and inventive in a horizontal fashion. But these guys , they were all street ball in their core anyhow and they just brought that into the league.

Russell didn't really jump. He would levitate. His arms would just get longer and longer like Mr Fantastic Four. As far as upper body he played somewhat like Tim Duncan, arms all flailing around like they are swatting flies but very very effective, very disruptive. Constant motion of the arms so the closer you get in your post game the bigger they look, in a way. Every way barred by these flailing arms - but Russell had the additional fact of that levitation so if you did get a shot off it was still just too bad.
I wasn't aware anyone had the ability to actually resist gravitational force....thought that was just in comics.
Living Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Being
I wasn't aware anyone had the ability to actually resist gravitational force....thought that was just in comics.
lol yeah it's just fun.
It is weird about Russell though. It's like he just pushed the balls of his feet and went sailing.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

That's a fascinating, wonderfully evocative, post. Since you mention drugged-out white guys who ruined their own basketball future, I remember reading "Basketball Diaries," in which Jim Carroll talks about dunking against Lew Alcindor. People most certainly dunked on the playground then as they do now. That's where legends like Earl Manigaut came from.

Re: Earl Monroe, who happens to be one of my personal all time favorite players, there's reams of video that show his wonderful hang time, but I remember reading that in the last 70s he was one of the very few guys in the NBA who could not dunk. Could this be true? Is this just an issue of old legs, or was he never a high flyer? (For example, Dennis Johnson was one of the NBA's premiere dunkers when he played for the Sonics, but by the time he was a Celtic it seemed like he couldn't even reach the rim.) I've never seen a video of Earl dunking or even coming close.

As to Russell, it's pretty much standard word that he was the first guy to dunk in the NBA, or at least dunk reguarly. Until him, it was simply considered bad practice and an insult to the other team. Guys didn't do it not because they couldn't, but because they didn't want retaliation, kind of the basketball equivalent of Bob Gibson beaning a guy who showboated after homering off of him. What Russell managed to do was to dunk in a way that wasn't showoffy or standoffish, but simply the most expedient way to score two points for someone of his size and jumping ability. Once he set that standard, I guess it opened the door for other people to dunk, if politely so. I don't recall any video of an in-your-face type dunk before Elgin Baylor, or moreso the 1966 clip of Gus Johnson's amazing put-back slam, and both of those guys followed theirs by putting down their heads and running back on defense.
pudman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #39
michaelray
Saw a basketball once

The Leaping Legends Of Basketball

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-02-...ketball-player

this article worth reading
michaelray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #40
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Jumpin Jackie Jackson, who was drafted but never played in the NBA. It was said he blocked Wilts dunk not once, but twice ... and he is only 6'3.
yeah here's a clip of the Hawk talkin about that very thing.... and then Wilt's revenge lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF791CN02Ek
Old 09-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #41
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudman13
That's a fascinating, wonderfully evocative, post. Since you mention drugged-out white guys who ruined their own basketball future, I remember reading "Basketball Diaries," in which Jim Carroll talks about dunking against Lew Alcindor. People most certainly dunked on the playground then as they do now. That's where legends like Earl Manigaut came from.

Re: Earl Monroe, who happens to be one of my personal all time favorite players, there's reams of video that show his wonderful hang time, but I remember reading that in the last 70s he was one of the very few guys in the NBA who could not dunk. Could this be true? Is this just an issue of old legs, or was he never a high flyer? (For example, Dennis Johnson was one of the NBA's premiere dunkers when he played for the Sonics, but by the time he was a Celtic it seemed like he couldn't even reach the rim.) I've never seen a video of Earl dunking or even coming close.

As to Russell, it's pretty much standard word that he was the first guy to dunk in the NBA, or at least dunk reguarly. Until him, it was simply considered bad practice and an insult to the other team. Guys didn't do it not because they couldn't, but because they didn't want retaliation, kind of the basketball equivalent of Bob Gibson beaning a guy who showboated after homering off of him. What Russell managed to do was to dunk in a way that wasn't showoffy or standoffish, but simply the most expedient way to score two points for someone of his size and jumping ability. Once he set that standard, I guess it opened the door for other people to dunk, if politely so. I don't recall any video of an in-your-face type dunk before Elgin Baylor, or moreso the 1966 clip of Gus Johnson's amazing put-back slam, and both of those guys followed theirs by putting down their heads and running back on defense.
ty
I don't really remember Pearl dunkin' either. Triple team splits with great ease and bombarding from downtown and amazing dishes but he was outside the dotted circle most of the time, if he even went in the paint. Yeah Russell I dunno but you know who was the first guy to break an NBA backboard? Chuck Connors. LMAO but it's true!!!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #42
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
you know who was the first guy to break an NBA backboard? Chuck Connors. LMAO but it's true!!!

Yes, this is true, but there's some debate about whether it was a dunk or, actually, a set shot, that broke the backboard.
pudman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #43
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudman13
Yes, this is true, but there's some debate about whether it was a dunk or, actually, a set shot, that broke the backboard.
The Rifleman lets one fly at the backboard:
Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #44
tgan3
Local High School Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seN0mugh1k

Here, they make dunking look easy though! Those old timers sure can jump.
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #45
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgan3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seN0mugh1k

Here, they make dunking look easy though! Those old timers sure can jump.

Impossible The 60s Was A League Full Of White Farm Boys. No White Players Could Dunk and The Black Players Where All African Pigmys.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: