Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #46
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Default Re: Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

I've heard this story go both ways, but according to official Richie Powers, Gus Johnson's first busted backboard wasn't on his own dunk. It was Gus trying to defend a dunk by Bill Bridges, and the weight of the two men was what brought the backboard down. If this is true and was indeed Bridges and not Gus who dunked the ball, then Bridges has to be added to this list.
pudman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #47
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

Go look up that ABA documentary on youtube, plenty of guys throwing down big dunks like it's the 80's or 90's...mostly because the ABA was quicker in letting black players into the league.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #48
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudman13
Meanwhile--I'd be eternally grateful to see video of Zelmo Beaty dunking.

Heh heh..I found it:

http://youtu.be/iR7HJOG0d5s

6:40 or so
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #49
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Go look up that ABA documentary on youtube, plenty of guys throwing down big dunks like it's the 80's or 90's...mostly because the ABA was quicker in letting black players into the league.
Your observation of dunking is correct but your reasoning as to why is incorrect, it's because they encouraged dunking and flashy play - the "brownball" league had players and coaches who didn't put up with it. Even the white dudes threw down with sick dunks in the ABA. Because retaliation after the dunks wasn't going to happen, the coaches wouldn't be irritated and the opposing defenders were all told the game needed to be more than a game, it needed to be a show, so let the dunks fly. There's some crazy Dan Issell dunks I've seen among others who are otherwise nameless white people to me. The ABA was a showboat league. Not a "quicker to be black" one unless your just speaking stylisticly and your connecting dunking with black style. The athleticism part is overrated. A lot of guys who are 6-3 and up or w/e can dunk pretty easily, even back then, regardless of the league they played in or the color of their skin.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 09-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #50
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

RE: ABA/NBA and race, during the waning days of the ABA, I would say it's pretty clear that the two best dunkers were black guys from the ABA: David Thompson and Dr. J. But when I think of the era that came just after it the two guys who come to mind are both white: Bobby Jones and Paul Westphal (In terms of leaping ability rather than pure power, because the king on that front was Darryl Dawkins.) Westphal may have been the best NBA (as opposed to ABA) dunker of the mid 70s, and a bit later, when he was on the Sixers, Bobby Jones sometimes topped his own teammates, both listed above.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #51
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Randy Smith - reputation + got one spectacular dunk on film

Here are two more Smith dunks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4zJE2HPnI

The guy had David Thompson-type hops.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #52
bagelred
Stare

Wilt's good but he's no George Mikan. Went to see Mikan play on my 35th birthday. I'll never forget it.

Um.....I've said too much.........gotta run.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #53
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
Connie Hawkins

Here's a cool clip of Jim Carroll talking about NYC basketball. Check out the part on Connie Hawkins.

Jim Carroll, All NYC basketball star, poet, punk rocker, junkie, hipster angel. Quite a life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGqACWbMT3c

Also Connie Hawkins on the guy who blocked Wilt at the Rucker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF791CN02Ek
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #54
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Also I don't know if this white kid plays ball, but he's got crazy hops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCX5aFJuMPc
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #55
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Back in the 1960's, we used to discuss Wilt ALL the time on Insidehoops.

"Wilt > Russell", "Wilt > Mikan"....but back in the day, creating a new thread MEANT something. Now all you get are these joke threads.....kids today, I tells ya.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Wilt's good but he's no George Mikan. Went to see Mikan play on my 35th birthday. I'll never forget it.

Um.....I've said too much.........gotta run.

It was 50 years ago (last month) I went to my first NBA game and saw the Lakers (with Jerry West and Elgin Baylor) vs. Oscar and the Cincinatti Royals.

Go ahead and chuckle at us old geezers. . . . and then get the **** offa my lawn

Most of the time I don't get much out of people trying to troll a thread, but I can appreciate a well taken shot or two. Well played

As for the leapers, as has already been stated, the in-your-face dunks of today were felt to be poor form. You're just not going to see much footage of dudes getting 'Mozgov'd' teabagged back in the day. Not only would the opposition be pissed, but your own coach would probably have pulled you from the game.
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #56
pudman13
Dick Van Arsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudman13
Here are two more Smith dunks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4zJE2HPnI

The guy had David Thompson-type hops.

More Randy Smith here, at 3:40. He's really the prototype of the modern guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaEtBL9XG_M
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: