Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Laxlen
I brick open layups

Laxlen has not been impressing people
Default Oh Canada

There are some stereotypes that are relatively true. One of those stereotypes is that Canada is a hockey first nation. I firmly believe its part of the reason the NHL keeps resorting to lockout's because they know their crowd will always come back (but I suppose that's another blog, eh?).

An archive article from NBA.com from 2004 had a comprehensive list which includes 17 Canadians plus a list of drafted Canadians.

Steve Nash heads the list offered up by TSN.ca of Canadians in the NBA last season, all 5 of them!

The list featured at TSN does not include the 2012 draft class which includes the following selections:

Andrew Nicholson drafted 19th overall by the Orlando Magic

Kris Joseph drafted 51st overall by the Boston Celtics

Robert Sacre drafted 60th overall by the Los Angeles Lakers

going back to 2010, Andy Rautins drafted 38th overall by the New York Knicks

Nicholson, listed as a 5th option at Power Forward according to ESPN, has been averaging 23 minutes per game averaging 10 PPG, 5 rebounds per game. The presence of Justin Harper, the 32nd overall draft pick of in 2011 acquired from Cleveland, muddies the picture for Nicholson. Harper played in France last season leaving the Magic to decide if they want to enter the 2012 season with two raw NBA power forwards on their roster. On what is a thin roster, the power forward position is their strongest and it may be in the teams interest to have Nicholson spend some with their D-League team.

Joseph, buried behind Paul Pierce and Jeff Green on the Celtics small forward depth chart, being outright cut before the season is a concern for Joseph (unlike Nicholson). Maine is likely where Mr. Joseph will see his minutes this season.

Sacre, here is Kobe's review of him after a 9 point, 10 rebound losing effort versus the Jazz,

"He's a very smart player, so he's able to get himself in positions to be successful, make plays for others as well as for himself, and rebound," Bryant said. "He's able to read the defense and see how they're playing Steve and how they're playing me. He's doing a fantastic job. I'm pleasantly surprised with what we have in him. He's going to be a huge plus for us." (via ESPN.com game recap)

Some guy named Dwight Howard is ahead of him on the depth chart. Jordan Hill is also ahead of him on the depth chart but men struggle with bad backs. Sacre will lead the 2012 draft class to lead in minutes played.

Rautins, who played in Spain last season, is trying to shoot his way onto the OKC bench this season. No delusions here, if he Rautins makes the team, it may take him half a season to play a games worth of minutes but I'm simply waving the Canadian flag here.

http://flawedlogicflawednbafan.blogs...oh-canada.html
Laxlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

DStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this board
Default Re: Oh Canada

my man drew
DStebb716 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: