Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #61
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board
Default Re: Week 7 Game Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Alex Smith is fine. He's just having a bad two games and not to mention he's playing a GREAT defense and had an injured throwing finger coming in.

I've said this before the season and I'll say it again but Seattle has a top 5 defense in the NFL. They play alot like the 49ers defense in which they are extremely physical and get after opposing QBs. Plus this was an important divisional game so you have to figure the game would end up being a physical game where both teams are playing it safe offensively and relying on their defenses.

Here's some stats that other QB's have put up against Seattle this year:
Skelton- 14/28, 149 yards, 1 INT
Romo- 23/40, 251 yards, 1 TD 1 INT
Rodgers- 26/39, 223 yards, 0td-0INT
Bradford- 16/30, 221 yards, 1 INT
Newton- 12/29, 141 yards, 0TD, 0INT
Brady- 36/58, 395 yards 2 TD 2 INT

I also do think the injury to his finger has hurt his play recently. These past two games he hasn't been making the same throws he has been making earlier in the season.

I'm not saying he's not fine. I think the 49ers will make a deep playoff run this year. But Alex Smith won't be the main reason for it. They'll go as far as their defense and running game can take them.

He's a game manager. He's been pretty good at managing the game and taking care of the ball since Harbaugh took over, but put him on a team that isn't stacked and I think he goes back to being the same crappy QB he was before Harbaugh showed up. Again, the 49ers can definitely win the super bowl with him, but he'll be playing the Trent Dilfer role.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #62
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
I'm not saying he's not fine. I think the 49ers will make a deep playoff run this year. But Alex Smith won't be the main reason for it. They'll go as far as their defense and running game can take them.

He's a game manager. He's been pretty good at managing the game and taking care of the ball since Harbaugh took over, but put him on a team that isn't stacked and I think he goes back to being the same crappy QB he was before Harbaugh showed up. Again, the 49ers can definitely win the super bowl with him, but he'll be playing the Trent Dilfer role.

He has become a better quarterback because they finally stopped the revolving door of OC's as well as the steady influence of Harbaugh. Seattle definitely has a very good defense overall and one of the better defenses against the pass.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #63
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
I know Russell Wilson is a rookie and he had a decent game against NE, so this maybe just me, but he really hasn't impressed me one bit, I get it, SF defense is great, but he's put up mediocre numbers against mediocre defenses.

I would love to see what Matt Flynn can do.

I too think he hasn't been impressive. I think they should give Flynn a chance to earn the money they are paying him or at least see if he is worth keeping at the price tag they are paying.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #64
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Don't see much of anyone mentioning ANYTHING about the Sunday Night NBC game - Steelers @ Bengals. How quick people forget this match-up used to be one of the league's most heated rivalries, roughest/most physical/most trash-talking/cut-your-throat enemies - going back about 5 or so years ago; back when the Carson Palmer/C.Johnson/TJ was firing on all cylinders.

Things have obviously changed since then, but Cincinnati is relevant again. Just as before when you had Carson and C.Johnson making the pro bowl, you have Dalton and Green in there. You can never count the Steelers out. They're still very much alive in this AFC North hunt, and this game with their backs against the wall may be their one and only shot to save their season.

There's just as much at stake for the Bengals here too. Having back-to-back losses in games where both of them should have been wins, has put this team in a questionable position. Everyone around the league is now beginning to wonder is Cincinnati for real? Contenders or pretenders? Their losses against Miami and Cleveland (Weeks 5 & 6) were close games from beginning to end. They could easily be 5-1 right now only having lost to the Ravens in Week 1.

Then again, let's look at who the Bengals have played so far this season:

Ravens (Lost)
Browns (Won)
Redskins (Won)
Jaguars (Won)
Dolphins (Lost)
Browns (Lost)

... throughout the duration of the season there's a few "gimmy'z" out there (Chiefs, Raiders) but the rest is certainly no cakewalk. Still have the Steelers twice, Broncos, Giants, Chargers, Cowboys, Eagles and then Ravens again to close out the season!

As promising as the Bengals look in the impressive wins they're earned this season, I'm not exactly sure they'll win enough games to make the playoffs. Even as weak as the AFC is right now, many of these .500 or less teams will come together and finish out strong making up ground and perhaps even taking more W's than their rival conference before it's all said and done.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #65
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
Having back-to-back losses in games where both of them should have been wins, has put this team in a questionable position.
How should the Browns game last week have been a win? It really shouldn't have been as close as it was. The game was essentially over when Sheldon Brown returned that interception for a touchdown. It was 34-17 more than halfway through the fourth quarter at that point. The Bengals tacked on a late TD, but I never felt all that threatened in those final few minutes.

If you are saying the Bengals should have won simply based on projections coming into the game, you should have known that was a fallacy. Browns/Bengals games are always tussles and that includes the one earlier this season in Cincinnati.

This is sort of a rare down year in the AFC North. None of these teams are standing out above the others.
RedBlackAttack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #66
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
How should the Browns game last week have been a win? It really shouldn't have been as close as it was. The game was essentially over when Sheldon Brown returned that interception for a touchdown. It was 34-17 more than halfway through the fourth quarter at that point. The Bengals tacked on a late TD, but I never felt all that threatened in those final few minutes.

If you are saying the Bengals should have won simply based on projections coming into the game, you should have known that was a fallacy. Browns/Bengals games are always tussles and that includes the one earlier this season in Cincinnati.

This is sort of a rare down year in the AFC North. None of these teams are standing out above the others.

Really? Seems more like Baltimore has the division cornered while Cincy is the only team with an outside chance of snatching the AFC North crown from the Ravens - but even that chance seems next to none.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #67
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
Really? Seems more like Baltimore has the division cornered while Cincy is the only team with an outside chance of snatching the AFC North crown from the Ravens - but even that chance seems next to none.

Baltimore has an aging defense that has lived somewhat on reputation through the first 6 weeks. They get run on consistently, and with Lewis likely done for the year, Webb (who, with Ngota, has been their best player) done for the year, Ngota with an MCL injury and Suggs trying to rush back from an achilles injury, they have all the look of a team that could play .500 ball the rest of the way.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #68
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
If you are saying the Bengals should have won simply based on projections coming into the game, you should have known that was a fallacy.

Up until Week 6 when the Browns finally won a game, they were 0-5 and regarded by many supposed experts, analysts, fans, etc. as the league's worst franchise. Now that they have a win, an impressive win over Cincinnati to boot, that "league's worst" tag has more than likely shifted in the direction of Kansas City, Jaguars and maybe the Raiders. They're not on the level of the Panthers or Saints and they're not better than any team with at least two wins (maybe a possible, unlikely but possible exception with the Lions).

Expecting the Bengals to win against an 0-5 seemingly in shambles team isn't exactly a fallacy. No NFL game is ever an automatic victory. We all know this, and yes, of course, this was a rivalry division game, which increases the likelihood of an even more competitive match-up. Even with all these factors, it doesn't excel Cleveland into some 50/50 boat where this game could go either way; no one team having a clear advantage.

They say it's difficult to play in the doghouse, but the Browns haven't been relevant in so many seasons, and when you become irrelevant for that long, it doesn't matter where a team like that is playing - they've earned a reputation of being one of the league's punching bags (the Bungals are certainly no stranger to this sickening cycle, but the year-after-year letdowns solidify the proof this "cycle" in fact does exist.

On paper, it seemed the Bengals should have won. It was wrong to assume they'd easily win, but they should have won nonetheless because they're the better football team. Plus, Cincy plays well on the road. Being 3-3 doesn't look like anything special, but the Bengals have lost close games, and of the six thus far, four of them are away from Paul Brown Stadium.

One last comment on the Browns, they've had a tough as nails schedule so far up until this point (losing a couple of nail biters in there adding injury to insult).

Philly
Bengals
Bills
Ravens
Giants
Bengals
Colts (today) ... and things don't look that much better going forward ...

Bolts
Ravens
Cowboys
Steelers
Raiders
Chiefs
Redskins
Broncos
Steelers

I haven't seen every team's complete schedule, but this one looks pretty damn brutal.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #69
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Baltimore has an aging defense that has lived somewhat on reputation through the first 6 weeks. They get run on consistently, and with Lewis likely done for the year, Webb (who, with Ngota, has been their best player) done for the year, Ngota with an MCL injury and Suggs trying to rush back from an achilles injury, they have all the look of a team that could play .500 ball the rest of the way.

Baltimore in recent years have established themselves as an elite home team where they almost always win at home; not quite on NE's level with Gillette Stadium, but M&T is already a more feared place to play than Heinz Field, Arrowhead Stadium, and even the historic Mile High, where for the past quarter century they've maintained the best home record.

The Ravens with an aging defense and up-and-coming offense, will undergo a franchise identity change. They're already scary on offense, and as that unit grows and matures even more, as long as they have an above average defense (however doesn't have to be Top 3) they'll be contenders. I don't think they'll be facing a complete and total nightmare in terms of rebuilding. They'll draft conservatively, safe and smart. Recruiting defensive talent shouldn't be a problem either.

Baltimore is positioned to remain a high quality NFL team for the foreseeable future, but just like Greece and Rome (Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Eagles), all great civilizations dominate for centuries (seasons) but eventually favor resides with them no longer, and the torch is passed on to make way for up-and-coming (in time!) new modern era powerhouses (Texans, Falcons, 49ers, Bengals, Redskins - hey I'm a believer in RGIII! - even more so than Cam Newton, otherwise I'd list Panthers instead of Washington).

Last edited by Legend of Josh : 10-21-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #70
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Damn, RG3 has a fast back peddle.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #71
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

damn we needed a touchdown there. crap
KingBeasley08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #72
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Does Chris Johnson think it's 2009?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #73
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We have a Chris Johnson sighting! 83 yard TD.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #74
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Damn, Chris Johnson.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #75
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Skins secondary is awful. Safety is such a big hole
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: