Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board
Default Re: Alienware X51- Any Opinions on this PC Gaming System

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
i heard alienware sucks, and there customer service is shit. build your own computer.
uhh... ive always had great customer service with dell.

building is a fun and great new experience to learn. i already built my first computer and im about to build one for my uncle. don't be discouraged, you'll always get more for your buck when u buy your own components. right now is a great time with black friday around the corner. freakin ssd and high end graphics cards prices are droppin like hot cakes!
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

there are a lot more boutique builders out there who offer way better after sales support than alienware at around the same price

this is prolly the most powerful prebuilt ITX PC out there..and you can customize it

http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki

doesnt look as flashy as the alienware but its a few times more powerful and runs way cooler with that water cooling. it's also smaller than the alienware albeit heavier

Last edited by magic chiongson : 10-22-2012 at 10:13 PM.
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
nathanjizzle
life is exasperating

nathanjizzle has a bad reputationnathanjizzle has a bad reputationnathanjizzle has a bad reputation

what ever u do stay away from alienware, just go on youtube and look up alienware.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

another alternative ITX PC

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6104/o...timate-lan-box

Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #20
che guevara
National High School Star

che guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallionaire
Never buy alienware.

always build it yourself.

building IS for everyone. it's so ****ign easy these days.

if you can assemble legos, you can build a computer

if you can't build a computer, you are a retarded person
Seriously, it's just putting parts together, you don't need much computer knowledge at all. I built my first computer before I was even a teenager.
che guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #21
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by che guevara
Seriously, it's just putting parts together, you don't need much computer knowledge at all. I built my first computer before I was even a teenager.

Personally I was only considering it because I think I could get the form factor of a console on my entertainment system. I can't play video games at a computer desk. I need to chill out on a couch with people and play.

Don't think a tower will work for that.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #22
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The main advantage of building your own computer would be overclocking and running sli/crossfire, if you don't care about those two, prebuild is fine. You're not stuck with what the manufacture sends you.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by che guevara

don't you have to use a solder gun on the motherboard or something like that? i remember reading about something real technical that scared me off from trying.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #24
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
don't you have to use a solder gun on the motherboard or something like that? i remember reading about something real technical that scared me off from trying.

lol no, you just need to plug stuff in. only thing you'll need is a screw driver
Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #25
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
there are a lot more boutique builders out there who offer way better after sales support than alienware at around the same price

this is prolly the most powerful prebuilt ITX PC out there..and you can customize it

http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki

doesnt look as flashy as the alienware but its a few times more powerful and runs way cooler with that water cooling. it's also smaller than the alienware albeit heavier

listen to this man. he knows his shiet
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #26
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That tiki is even more horrible value than the Dell. Nearly $1700 for something with a GTX 650, that graphics card goes for $100, very low end. Watercooling is worthless when the CPU is running stock.

Last edited by bigkingsfan : 10-23-2012 at 03:18 AM.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #27
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
That tiki is even more horrible value than the Dell. Nearly $1700 for something with a GTX 650, that graphics card goes for $100, very low end. Watercooling is worthless when the CPU is running stock.

the review unit they had at tom's hardware had a gtx 680 cramped in that thing prolly have to add more. with the z77, you could overclock it by 1ghz by pressing less than 5 buttons after start up.

anyway if he wants to try a novice build he could just buy a shuttle barebone

http://www.amazon.com/Shuttle-LGA115...ds=shuttle+z77

get an i5 3570k, gtx 670, 8gb ram & hard drive & your good to go for around $1k. easily half the price of boutique-built PCs
Old 10-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #28
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Quote:
lol no, you just need to plug stuff in. only thing you'll need is a screw driver

Hell these days you barely even need the screw driver, many cases have gone to screwless designs.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #29
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Quote:

It is cheaper, but it's also good to have someone to bitch at. I think there is a low end for building your own and a high end for building your own, but if you are going for something midrange... about 1000 then you might as well buy it from a company.

Plus you can nub out fry your cpu and you gotta get good parts.

I don't think Alienware is terrible, but I do think they are pretty wack now that dell took over. They don't make a bad system it's just overpriced.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #30
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Hell these days you barely even need the screw driver, many cases have gone to screwless designs.

that too..most cases over $100 are
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: