Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Is Lakers depth a problem?

I want to give a nod to Robert Sacre. The man has been playing like he wants to be on this team. He's the same type of player as Jordan Hill, but with a better post game overall. We should probably keep him. Can't be worth anymore than the minimum.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Asiantastic
Kirby, pls

I for one don't buy the whole "it's preseason" bs, because around this time we should have already meshed, but clearly something is wrong. However despite these losses, I'm still very optimistic about the season.

Sacre showed that he is actually effective with rebounds and clean-up points.

Last night Hill gave me every confidence that the bench can do some damage.

Ebanks is playing aggressive and proving why we sacrificed Barnes in order for him to grow as a player.

Jamison for some reason is struggling. He was supposed to be the highest bench scorer and bring that spark that we haven't had since Odom, but clearly he lost his touch or somehow just isn't feeling comfortable.

And Blake is being Blake. Some days he plays amazing but others flat out awful.

Mike Brown needs to figure out a solid rotation soon or I'm sure he'll lose his job half way through the season. Not that that's a bad thing. Hello Jeff Van Gundy!
Asiantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiantastic
I for one don't buy the whole "it's preseason" bs, because around this time we should have already meshed, but clearly something is wrong. However despite these losses, I'm still very optimistic about the season.

Sacre showed that he is actually effective with rebounds and clean-up points.

Last night Hill gave me every confidence that the bench can do some damage.

Ebanks is playing aggressive and proving why we sacrificed Barnes in order for him to grow as a player.

Jamison for some reason is struggling. He was supposed to be the highest bench scorer and bring that spark that we haven't had since Odom, but clearly he lost his touch or somehow just isn't feeling comfortable.

And Blake is being Blake. Some days he plays amazing but others flat out awful.

Mike Brown needs to figure out a solid rotation soon or I'm sure he'll lose his job half way through the season. Not that that's a bad thing. Hello Jeff Van Gundy!

I don't think they should've gelled yet. Chemistry doesn't happen overnight. Everybody expected Miami to win right away. They struggled at first. Dwight has only been in the lineup for a couple of games. It's a new offense they're trying to learn. I'm not freaking out yet. I feel like things will be just fine.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I don't think they should've gelled yet. Chemistry doesn't happen overnight. Everybody expected Miami to win right away. They struggled at first. Dwight has only been in the lineup for a couple of games. It's a new offense they're trying to learn. I'm not freaking out yet. I feel like things will be just fine.

I agree however, Mike Brown has never in his life been able to figure out a rotation. I'm not worried about out talent level on the bench, i'm just worried about the idiot coach.

Sacre has done a great job, IMO he has earned a spot on this team......and to think that someone on here was very anxious to cut him......right T (Poke in the ribs...lol)
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I agree however, Mike Brown has never in his life been able to figure out a rotation. I'm not worried about out talent level on the bench, i'm just worried about the idiot coach.

Sacre has done a great job, IMO he has earned a spot on this team......and to think that someone on here was very anxious to cut him......right T (Poke in the ribs...lol)

I completely agree about the coach. You know that for sure

Sacre had a good preseason. I've seen Austin Daye look like KD in the preseason for Detroit and then be horrible in the regular season. We have to keep in mind that a lot of people aren't playing 100% yet. I'm still going to stand by the fact that I saw him play mulitple times in college (with scouts at the games including Pat Riley and Mike Dunleavy) and he never could take over a ball game against smaller players. Think about this too, Gonzaga is projected to be better this year after losing him. I think his heart is there and he'll definitely hustle. Of course he knows he's the one guy without a guaranteed contract so he has to give it his all to stay. Once the season begins and guys really start playing (especially after the first couple months) I think he becomes almost completely irrelevant.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
DKLaker

Quote:
I completely agree about the coach. You know that for sure

Sacre had a good preseason. I've seen Austin Daye look like KD in the preseason for Detroit and then be horrible in the regular season. We have to keep in mind that a lot of people aren't playing 100% yet. I'm still going to stand by the fact that I saw him play mulitple times in college (with scouts at the games including Pat Riley and Mike Dunleavy) and he never could take over a ball game against smaller players. Think about this too, Gonzaga is projected to be better this year after losing him. I think his heart is there and he'll definitely hustle. Of course he knows he's the one guy without a guaranteed contract so he has to give it his all to stay. Once the season begins and guys really start playing (especially after the first couple months) I think he becomes almost completely irrelevant.

I agree with you once again however, we really don't need him very often and to do very much, he's decent 3rd string big man at a very cheap cost.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker

My concern was a different focus. If it would take this team a year to get comfortable, they would all get another year older. This team is expected to win the championship this season by our standards. What if they don't win it this year? Will they still be able to win it next year, with distractions such as Kobe's constant hinting at retirement, MB coaching, and other players just simply being old other than Dwight Howard?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
My concern was a different focus. If it would take this team a year to get comfortable, they would all get another year older. This team is expected to win the championship this season by our standards. What if they don't win it this year? Will they still be able to win it next year, with distractions such as Kobe's constant hinting at retirement, MB coaching, and other players just simply being old other than Dwight Howard?

Boston managed to gel at the right time. I think veterans have a way of figuring things out. Plus this team seems to have pieces that fit together well, whereas a team like Miami had great players that weren't a great fit so they needed a little more time to figure things out.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Boston managed to gel at the right time. I think veterans have a way of figuring things out. Plus this team seems to have pieces that fit together well, whereas a team like Miami had great players that weren't a great fit so they needed a little more time to figure things out.

Your points are correct, however, one thing that is very underrated (and also overrated if you see the glass as half full) is having homecourt advantage in the playoffs. How long will it take for them to gel? How long will it take before they begin to win consistently? Will the injuries that are current limit some of these players' abilities throughout the season/whatever is left of their careers?

This season literally would have to consist of perfection if we want the title. There can't be any injuries, or distractions, or any signs of age if they want to go forward. The word is that Kobe's foot is actually pretty serious. "Limping" is the word used to describe him. Do you see why these can be potential problems as the season progresses?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...,3565042.story

An article discussing Robert Sacre. Good read. Check it out when you're free.

Edit: Any player from Gonzaga is a plus to me. Remember Ronny Turiaf shocking the world with his already polished skills.

Last edited by lakerfreak : 10-25-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #26
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Your points are correct, however, one thing that is very underrated (and also overrated if you see the glass as half full) is having homecourt advantage in the playoffs. How long will it take for them to gel? How long will it take before they begin to win consistently? Will the injuries that are current limit some of these players' abilities throughout the season/whatever is left of their careers?

This season literally would have to consist of perfection if we want the title. There can't be any injuries, or distractions, or any signs of age if they want to go forward. The word is that Kobe's foot is actually pretty serious. "Limping" is the word used to describe him. Do you see why these can be potential problems as the season progresses?

Health is an issue for every team. If Bosh didn't play in the finals they wouldn't have beat OKC. Yes, Kobe needs to be well enough to play at a very good level as does the rest of the team. That part is where the luck comes in. We will need the starting 5 healthy to pull it off.

As for home court advantage, in your conference it helps. In the finals I think having home court advantage is almost a disadvantage. I'm not a fan of the 2-3-2 format. I think it gives the away team the advantage as long as they can split one of the 2 first games.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #27
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Health is an issue for every team. If Bosh didn't play in the finals they wouldn't have beat OKC. Yes, Kobe needs to be well enough to play at a very good level as does the rest of the team. That part is where the luck comes in. We will need the starting 5 healthy to pull it off.

As for home court advantage, in your conference it helps. In the finals I think having home court advantage is almost a disadvantage. I'm not a fan of the 2-3-2 format. I think it gives the away team the advantage as long as they can split one of the 2 first games.

Absolutely. I wish they could change it back to 2-2-1-1-1. Then again it saves the travel. On the other hand it can be looked at as an advantage for the HC advantage team to win only one out of the 3 road games.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #28
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Absolutely. I wish they could change it back to 2-2-1-1-1. Then again it saves the travel. On the other hand it can be looked at as an advantage for the HC advantage team to win only one out of the 3 road games.

I totally understand the travel thing. I don't see the advantage in winning 1 of 3 on the road though. Then you're basically forced to win both the last games at home and I feel either of those games could potentially go either way.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #29
DKLaker

Quote:

Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #30
OG LeeTSkeeT
Mr.Rager

Still better than knowing we have Luke Walton on our bench.
OG LeeTSkeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: