Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
LeBird
Good High School Starter

LeBird has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: John Salley On Michael Jordan! "He's Not The Greatest Player Ever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123
Its not consensus. But more people will say MJ is GOAT than any other player. John Salley? Take that with a grain of salt. He did after all play with the bad boy pistons who were an arch rival of jordan back in the day so Im sure he still has no love there.

And yet if the opposite were said - had he still maintained Jordan was the GOAT - you wouldn't entertain that he's voting for Jordan because he is biased for him, and that he is just telling the truth.

The point is that there shouldn't have to be an accusation of bias. There is more than enough evidence to argue that Jordan isn't the GOAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
magic johnson conceded mj was goat. even isiah thomas said the same thing.

but both were working for NBA on NBC when they said that. so whether they were real views or just "words from the boss", who knows.

i think it was during one of the bulls finals. go look it up on youtube if any of you are bored.

I actually take the words of guys like Bird and Magic, then temper it with their need to sell the sport. They see themselves as custodians who have to carry on interest in the sport through to other generations. Inside their own hearts they both believe they're the best.

Conversely, I don't think Jordan will come up and say Lebron or anyone else (possibly Kobe) is the GOAT even if they do match him because that's the kind of person he is.

Last edited by LeBird : 10-23-2012 at 09:21 AM.
LeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Asukal
Local High School Star

Asukal has decent reputationAsukal has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBird
And yet if the opposite were said - had he still maintained Jordan was the GOAT - you wouldn't entertain that he's voting for Jordan because he is biased for him, and that he is just telling the truth.

The point is that there shouldn't have to be an accusation of bias. There is more than enough evidence to argue that Jordan isn't the GOAT.

I actually take the words of guys like Bird and Magic, then temper it with their need to sell the sport. They see themselves as custodians who have to carry on interest in the sport through to other generations. Inside their own hearts they both believe they're the best.

Conversely, I don't think Jordan will come up and say Lebron or anyone else (possibly Kobe) is the GOAT even if they do match him because that's the kind of person he is.

Are you John Salley?
Asukal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
Breezy
Great young streetballer

Breezy has not been impressing people

The last people you should listen to on broad matters like this are the players themselves. The average ISH user knows more about game in a broad context. The players are too close to the action to see the forest for the trees. They know play calling, they know the scouting report on how to defend their matchup, and they know which cities have the best Strip Clubs. How many players know the ppg, PER, Defensive rating, offensive rating, Win/loss ratios? How many players know the matchup history of other all time greats like we do? They don't.
That's not to say all players opinions are wrong. But it's like asking a Ford mechanic Who makes the best trucks? You're not exactly getting a well though out answer. Id trust coaches over players. But really the best way to determine ranks and comparisons and status is to have fans of each respective players argue and then judge the evidence for yourself.

Ridiculous assertions by players:

Ron artest: Brandon Roy is the best shooting guard I've played against.

Micheal Jordan: Kobe Bryant is a top 10 guard ever. (True, but you see the agenda)

Wilt Chamberlain: I'd Score 60 or 70 points a game in this era (90's)

Isaiah Thomas: If Bird were black he's be just another good guy

Charles Barkley: Lebron has taken himself out of the Michael Jordan Conversation[followed a year later by] Lebron could be as good as Michael

And my all time personal favorite (NFL) Michael Vick: I didn't know the game could end in overtime.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation here

Michael Jordan On John Salley: "Who?"
pauk is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: