Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default ISPs ready to crack down on piracy

Quote:
(CNN) -- It is about to get a bit more difficult to illegally download TV shows, movies or music online.
A new alert system, rolling out over the next two months, will repeatedly warn and possibly punish people violating digital copyrights. The Copyright Alert System was announced last July and has been four years in the making.
If you use AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, or Verizon as your Internet service provider, you could receive the first of one of these notes starting in the next two months.
The Internet provider is delivering the message, but the legwork is being done by the copyright owners, which will monitor peer-to-peer networks such as BitTorrent.
They use a service called MarkMonitor, which uses a combination of people and automated systems to spot illegal downloading. It will collect the IP addresses of offenders, but no personal information. The IP addresses are turned over to the Internet providers, which will match up the address with the right customer and send the notification.
The warning system is described as a graduated response. First the Internet provider will let the customer know that their Internet connection is being used do download content illegally. The note will include information to steer them away from their life of crime, including tips on how they can download content legally.
There will also be tips on securing Internet connections, just in case you were unaware that your neighbor was downloading season three of "Dexter" using your unprotected wireless network.
"The progressive series of alerts is designed to make consumers aware of activity that has occurred using their Internet accounts, educate them on how they can prevent such activity from happening again," the CCI said in its announcement today.
After the educational phase, the customers will be asked to acknowledge that they received the warning. If they continue to download content illegally, the alerts will threaten mild punishments, such as forcing the copyright violator to read "educational materials," or throttling their Internet connection so that it is slow, making it harder to download large files.
Today's announcement claims that terminating the Internet service is not one of the options.
If a customer feels they are being wrongly accused, they can ask for a review, which will cost them $35 according to the Verge.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/tech/w...tem/index.html
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ISPs ready to crack down on piracy

Usenet is the safest and private torrent site would be okay too. Don't be a dumbass and download from piratebay.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just purchase a VPN, they're like $10 a month for some of them.
Meticode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Usenet is the safest and private torrent site would be okay too. Don't be a dumbass and download from piratebay.
It's okay to download from pirate bay if you use a VPN, if you use a Usenet service like Giganews they usually have VPNs for free with your Usenet account.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
Just purchase a VPN, they're like $10 a month for some of them.

After some preliminary reading, this seems like the best option.

Its more cost effective than ordering premium cable channels while also going to RedBox, and seems to be relatively safe in terms of piracy issues.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
After some preliminary reading, this seems like the best option.

Its more cost effective than ordering premium cable channels while also going to RedBox, and seems to be relatively safe in terms of piracy issues.
Yep, since I've used it I've had zero issues. You just have to make sure it has data encryption. At most your ISP will see how much data you're using, but they won't be able to tell what you're downloading.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
It's okay to download from pirate bay if you use a VPN, if you use a Usenet service like Giganews they usually have VPNs for free with your Usenet account.

VPN speeds would be my main concern, if I can't get the full speed from my isp, it's simply not worth it.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
VPN speeds would be my main concern, if I can't get the full speed from my isp, it's simply not worth it.
True, when I download a movie without a VPN I can get about 4.5mb/sec, usually can download a 7GB movie in about 20-30 minutes. With the VPN it's at 2.5mb/sec, Not really that big of a deal for me. A lot of of torrents don't even max out your bandwidth because usually I download newer torrents that don't have a ton of seeders and a lot of leechers.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

The days of torrenting seem to be coming to an end. Sad but true. Just not worth the risk for me right now.

Hopefully, I can find a way to get the latest episodes of Downton Abbey without torrents.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hey guys, is downloading from piratebay(using bittorent app) on my phone ok? Will verizon turn me in? I've downloaded a crapload of stuff this way. I have 4g which happens to be much quicker than.home internet.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Looks like i'll be using a lot more Letmwatchthis and Ant Video Downloader.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
Hey guys, is downloading from piratebay(using bittorent app) on my phone ok? Will verizon turn me in? I've downloaded a crapload of stuff this way. I have 4g which happens to be much quicker than.home internet.
It's not Verizon, it's the trackers that sniff your IP. Basically what happens is this...

You download a torrent
While downloading the torrent you upload some of that torrent to other users
A tracker logs your IP
That tracker/sniffer finds out what your ISP is through your IP
They contact your ISP and say "Hey, this SoB is downloading illegal shit through your service, please have them stop or we will pressure you harder."
Your ISP sends you an email or letter usually about 3 times to tel you to stop

In all honesty the ISP doesn't care what you download, you're paying for their service, it's the fact that they are getting pressured from companies trying to protect the copyright laws.

Last edited by Meticode : 10-22-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
It's not Verizon, it's the trackers that sniff your IP. Basically what happens is this...

You download a torrent
While downloading the torrent you upload some of that torrent to other users
A tracker logs your IP
That tracker/sniffer finds out what your ISP is through your IP
They contact your ISP and say "Hey, this SoB is downloading illegal shit through your service, please have them stop or we will pressure you harder."
Your ISP sends you an email or letter usually about 3 times to tel you to stop

In all honesty the ISP doesn't care what you download, you're paying for their service, it's the fact that they are getting pressured from companies trying to protect the copyright laws.
My GF has had her internet shut off twice by her ISP (Century Link) because they got pressured, they told her if they get another complaint they will drop her service permanently, now she won't DL anything anymore. My provider (Cable One) doesn't give a shit though. Probably just depends on your provider.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

switched to usenet last year. cant switch back to torrents
i use astraweb ssl

Quote:
Completed 2012-10-22 00:52:02
Name Dexter S07E04 720p HDTV x264 EVOLVE
Size 1.2 GB
Status Completed
Category *
Path C:\Users\jay\Downloads\complete\Dexter S07E04 720p HDTV x264 EVOLVE
Download Downloaded in 2 minutes 3 seconds at an average of 9.8 MB/s
Source http://nzbmatrix.com//nzb-details.ph...nozip=1&cat=41
Unpack [dexter.s07e04.720p.hdtv.x264-evolve] Unpacked 1 files/folders in 4 seconds
Repair [dexter.s07e04.720p.hdtv.x264-evolve-sample-sample] Quick Check OK
[dexter.s07e04.720p.hdtv.x264-evolve] Quick Check OK

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
My GF has had her internet shut off twice by her ISP (Century Link) because they got pressured, they told her if they get another complaint they will drop her service permanently, now she won't DL anything anymore. My provider (Cable One) doesn't give a shit though. Probably just depends on your provider.
It does depend on the provider. I got 3 warnings from Charter, I switched to a VPN and Usenet and haven't gotten a single complaint in 2 years now.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: